473,379 Members | 1,491 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,379 software developers and data experts.

db2 8.1 for solaris 64 bit for AMD

Does anyone know the link to obtain the
tarball for db2 8.1 for solaris running
on AMD 64 bit ?
This is the entire db2 installation
on a new system that does not have db2.

Thanks.
Aug 29 '06 #1
13 4048

"Mary Lei" <ml**@ligo.caltech.eduwrote in message
news:ed**********@naig.caltech.edu...
Does anyone know the link to obtain the
tarball for db2 8.1 for solaris running
on AMD 64 bit ?
This is the entire db2 installation
on a new system that does not have db2.

Thanks.
I don't think it is available, but then it is more likely to get lost in
IBM's web site than actually finding something.
Aug 29 '06 #2
http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...id=TDUN-49EVGU

But is DB2 supported on Solaris AMD 64-bit? I believe UltraSPARC or
x86-64 CPU is required. See
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...ysreqs_v8.html

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
Does anyone know the link to obtain the
tarball for db2 8.1 for solaris running
on AMD 64 bit ?
This is the entire db2 installation
on a new system that does not have db2.

Thanks.
Aug 29 '06 #3
Mary Lei wrote:
Does anyone know the link to obtain the
tarball for db2 8.1 for solaris running
on AMD 64 bit ?
This is the entire db2 installation
on a new system that does not have db2.
It should be on Passport Advantage if you've paid for that. Otherwise,
you'll need to talk to your IBM rep that sold you whatever you've bought
that may not have come with that CD.

Note that DB2's support for Solaris on AMD64 was recent - I think it started
somewhere around 8.2.2, so you won't be able to get version "8.1" for it.
Aug 29 '06 #4
Apparently, I am being told that x86-64 means Intel as well as AMD. So I
stand corrected.

Larry Edelstein

Larry wrote:
http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...id=TDUN-49EVGU
But is DB2 supported on Solaris AMD 64-bit? I believe UltraSPARC or
x86-64 CPU is required. See
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...ysreqs_v8.html

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
>Does anyone know the link to obtain the
tarball for db2 8.1 for solaris running
on AMD 64 bit ?
This is the entire db2 installation
on a new system that does not have db2.

Thanks.
Aug 29 '06 #5
When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

../db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
../db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
../db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
Aug 30 '06 #6
Mary ... I believe the "final" disposition of this was that only DB2
V8.2 is supported for Solaris on x86-64.

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

../db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
../db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
../db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
Aug 30 '06 #7
How do I go about
installing db2 8.2 on a brand new solaris system
running X86-64 ?
I found fixpaks but they require pre- installation
of db2.

Larry wrote:
Mary ... I believe the "final" disposition of this was that only DB2
V8.2 is supported for Solaris on x86-64.

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
>When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

../db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
../db2_install:
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir: cannot execute
../db2_install:
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir: cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
Aug 31 '06 #8
I think Darin said that passport advantage was refreshed with the images
for x86-64 at the 8.2 level. You would then apply any fixpak on top of
that install.

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
How do I go about
installing db2 8.2 on a brand new solaris system
running X86-64 ?
I found fixpaks but they require pre- installation
of db2.

Larry wrote:
>Mary ... I believe the "final" disposition of this was that only DB2
V8.2 is supported for Solaris on x86-64.

Larry Edelstein

Mary Lei wrote:
>>When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

../db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
../db2_install:
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir: cannot execute
../db2_install:
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir: cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
Aug 31 '06 #9
Mary Lei schrieb:
When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

./db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
we had something similar on redhat
export LANG=en_EN@euro
or similar in the installation shell did the trick.
hth
Wolfgang
Aug 31 '06 #10
riedel wrote:
Mary Lei schrieb:
>When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

./db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.
we had something similar on redhat
export LANG=en_EN@euro
or similar in the installation shell did the trick.
hth
Wolfgang
Mary's problem is that she has the Solaris/SPARC image, when she needs the
Solaris/x86-64 image. No amount of environment variables will overcome
that ;-)

The problem you're referring to included the DBI1055E message, but did not
have a bunch of "cannot execute" errors in the output. It happens when
your current LANG setting is not recognised by DB2, and it manages to get
confused as to what directory to find its messages in.
Aug 31 '06 #11
Yes, Darin is right.
I have no problem getting a 64bit DB2 on
a linux opteron but
when I cannot find a solaris distribution
that can install on an opteron that runs solaris.

The executables e.g. db2langdir
simply does not run as they require sparc.
So how does one go about installing a pre-requisite
8.1 onto an opteron AMD64 bit solaris so I can
apply the fixpak to bring it up to 8.2.4.

I dont have any Passport Advantage disk
as we are academic and get our DB2 via download.

Darin McBride wrote:
riedel wrote:

>>Mary Lei schrieb:
>>>When I finally foung the solaris db2 9 tarball for
x86-64, I have an error installing it:

./db2_install -b /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1
CMD_UNAME /usr/bin/uname CMD_BASENAME /usr/bin/basename, DB2CURDIR
/tmp/ese_t/disk1
PROGDIR /tmp/ese_t/disk1
ON SunOS
installdir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install?
current dir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
./db2_install: /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin/db2langdir:
cannot execute
bindir /tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/../bin lang msgdir
/tmp/ese_t/disk1/db2/solaris/install/locale langdir locname C
DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by this
script is missing from the system; it may have been
deleted or the database products may have been loaded
incorrectly.

The file is there but db2_install does not seem to be
able to access the english version as the lang var is
empty.

we had something similar on redhat
export LANG=en_EN@euro
or similar in the installation shell did the trick.
hth
Wolfgang


Mary's problem is that she has the Solaris/SPARC image, when she needs the
Solaris/x86-64 image. No amount of environment variables will overcome
that ;-)

The problem you're referring to included the DBI1055E message, but did not
have a bunch of "cannot execute" errors in the output. It happens when
your current LANG setting is not recognised by DB2, and it manages to get
confused as to what directory to find its messages in.
Aug 31 '06 #12
Mary Lei wrote:
The executables e.g. db2langdir
simply does not run as they require sparc.
So how does one go about installing a pre-requisite
8.1 onto an opteron AMD64 bit solaris so I can
apply the fixpak to bring it up to 8.2.4.
There is no such thing as 8.1 for Solaris/x86-64. The first time it was
released was at the 8.2.2 level, I believe (it might be 8.2.4, but I'm
pretty sure it was 8.2.2). You need to get that level before you can apply
the 8.2.4 fixpak.
I dont have any Passport Advantage disk
as we are academic and get our DB2 via download.
Passport Advantage is not a disk. It's a website. Specifically, an IBM
website.

You may have to ask your Scholar's Program contact how you can get this
version. As I mentioned before, this should be on Passport Advantage
(which I don't have access to). However, I'm not sure if Scholar's Program
users have access to PA - I highly doubt it, but could be wrong. If you
(or, if you aren't the faculty member who acts as the liaison with IBM, the
person who is) do not have access to PA, you (or your liaison) will need to
contact your IBM contact to get more information. While I don't know where
to get it, either, if that contact doesn't know how to get it, I might be
able to point that person onto the trail to get it for you. (Is that
convoluted enough?)

Good luck!
Aug 31 '06 #13
Thanks Darin for your continual help.
I checked with my former boss who gets all
the IBM stuff when he managed the project.
He just does the download after DB25.1.
We have no trouble installing DB2 for solaris on sun
and for linux.
But I cant find anything for x86-64.
Since I am the primary installer of DB2 if
you can point me to it, would be of great help.

Meantime I am trying to locate one person
to see if we have a formal ID for the scholar program.

Darin wrote
Mary Lei wrote:

>>The executables e.g. db2langdir
simply does not run as they require sparc.
So how does one go about installing a pre-requisite
8.1 onto an opteron AMD64 bit solaris so I can
apply the fixpak to bring it up to 8.2.4.


There is no such thing as 8.1 for Solaris/x86-64. The first time it was
released was at the 8.2.2 level, I believe (it might be 8.2.4, but I'm
pretty sure it was 8.2.2). You need to get that level before you can apply
the 8.2.4 fixpak.

>>I dont have any Passport Advantage disk
as we are academic and get our DB2 via download.


Passport Advantage is not a disk. It's a website. Specifically, an IBM
website.

You may have to ask your Scholar's Program contact how you can get this
version. As I mentioned before, this should be on Passport Advantage
(which I don't have access to). However, I'm not sure if Scholar's Program
users have access to PA - I highly doubt it, but could be wrong. If you
(or, if you aren't the faculty member who acts as the liaison with IBM, the
person who is) do not have access to PA, you (or your liaison) will need to
contact your IBM contact to get more information. While I don't know where
to get it, either, if that contact doesn't know how to get it, I might be
able to point that person onto the trail to get it for you. (Is that
convoluted enough?)

Good luck!
Aug 31 '06 #14

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

4
by: Tony | last post by:
what package should I be downloading for solaris intel. Is there a howto on how to install it for solaris intel?
1
by: Mark Nelson | last post by:
Hi I'm trying to build Imaging 1.1.4 in Solaris 9, I get passwd the first step i.e the building of libImging. However when I execute a python setup.py build I get the following error - gcc...
0
by: Bob Swerdlow | last post by:
I'm trying to install MySQLdb 0.9.2 so I can access my MySQL database from python under Solaris 8. I found the notes on changing the include and lib paths and it seems to find them okay, but when...
1
by: Putz Ronald | last post by:
Hy! We got the same datamodell on Solaris and on WindowsXP. But there is a mojor difference in the Performance. The database on Windows is much faster than the one on Solaris although the...
0
by: rkusenet | last post by:
We are using a really old version of Solaris 2.6. Mysql.com site does not seem to have mysql binaries for this version of Solaris. The earliest version they have is for Solaris 8, which I believe...
0
by: Kirt Loki Dankmyer | last post by:
So, I download the latest "stable" tar for perl (5.8.7) and try to compile it on the Solaris 8 (SPARC) box that I administrate. I try all sorts of different switches, but I can't get it to compile....
2
by: kepioo | last post by:
Hi all, I am trying to install PIL with python 2.3 on solaris X86, but I get this error message : building '_imaging' extension creating build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.3 creating...
3
by: Lee | last post by:
Has anyone ran into this problem? I've done extensive googling and research and I cannot seem to find the answer. I downloaded the source for 2.5.1 from python.org compiled and installed it on a...
0
by: mg | last post by:
When make gets to the _ctypes section, I am getting the following in my output: building '_ctypes' extension creating build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.5/home/ecuser/Python-2.5.1/ Modules/_ctypes...
1
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
0
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...
0
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
0
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
0
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
0
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
1
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
1
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
0
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.