By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,851 Members | 1,752 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,851 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

how to do DB2 RTCL upgrade on Linux

P: n/a
I have DB2 v8.1.0.0 currently on Redhat 8.0 box.
Want to upgrade it to V8.2, downloaded FP10_MI00138_RTCL.tar from IBM.
Extracted and run db2_install, get the following error.

[root@redhat rtcl]# ./db2_install
Specify one or more of the following keywords,
separated by spaces, to install DB2 products.

Keyword Product Description
DB2.RTCL DB2 Run-time Client for LINUX

Enter "help" to redisplay product names.

Enter "quit" to exit.

************************************************** *********
DB2.RTCL
IBM_db2ldap81...
error: Failed dependencies:
IBM_db2cliv81 >= 8.1.0-96 is needed by IBM_db2ldap81-8.1.0-96
The installation logfile can be found in /tmp/db2_install_log.13295.

db2_install program terminated prematurely.

Then I tried to install rpm directly
[root@redhat linux]# rpm -i IBM_db2cliv81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
IBM_db2msen81 >= 8.1.0-96 is needed by IBM_db2cliv81-8.1.0-96
[root@redhat linux]# rpm -ivh IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
file /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/Readme/en_US.iso88591/Release.Notes from
install of IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96 conflicts with file from package
IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-0

I didnot find any document said db2 client couldnot install if there is
old version.

[root@redhat linux]# rpm -ivh --force IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:IBM_db2msen81 ###########################################
[100%]

Anyone has the same problem -- db2_install doesnot work?

May 3 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
The 'rpm' command you used tries to install a package file. You want to
update installed packages.

The nomenclature of the fixpak you downloaded is for the Language
Independent runtime client. Is this all you have installed or do you
have the entire product installed. If you have the product, you don't
have the correct download.

Phil Sherman

sh*******@gmail.com wrote:
I have DB2 v8.1.0.0 currently on Redhat 8.0 box.
Want to upgrade it to V8.2, downloaded FP10_MI00138_RTCL.tar from IBM.
Extracted and run db2_install, get the following error.

[root@redhat rtcl]# ./db2_install
Specify one or more of the following keywords,
separated by spaces, to install DB2 products.

Keyword Product Description
DB2.RTCL DB2 Run-time Client for LINUX

Enter "help" to redisplay product names.

Enter "quit" to exit.

************************************************** *********
DB2.RTCL
IBM_db2ldap81...
error: Failed dependencies:
IBM_db2cliv81 >= 8.1.0-96 is needed by IBM_db2ldap81-8.1.0-96
The installation logfile can be found in /tmp/db2_install_log.13295.

db2_install program terminated prematurely.

Then I tried to install rpm directly
[root@redhat linux]# rpm -i IBM_db2cliv81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
IBM_db2msen81 >= 8.1.0-96 is needed by IBM_db2cliv81-8.1.0-96
[root@redhat linux]# rpm -ivh IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
file /opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/Readme/en_US.iso88591/Release.Notes from
install of IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96 conflicts with file from package
IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-0

I didnot find any document said db2 client couldnot install if there is
old version.

[root@redhat linux]# rpm -ivh --force IBM_db2msen81-8.1.0-96.i386.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:IBM_db2msen81 ###########################################
[100%]

Anyone has the same problem -- db2_install doesnot work?

May 3 '06 #2

P: n/a
sh*******@gmail.com wrote:
I have DB2 v8.1.0.0 currently on Redhat 8.0 box.
Want to upgrade it to V8.2, downloaded FP10_MI00138_RTCL.tar from IBM.
Extracted and run db2_install, get the following error.


If you have DB2 installed (any product), you need the fixpack, not the
runtime client again. Grab the fixpack, it won't have a "db2_install" but
an "installFixPak". That's what you run.
May 4 '06 #3

P: n/a
I get the install image from here.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...00138_RTCL.tar

Where is the runtime client fixPak I can download?

May 4 '06 #4

P: n/a
sh*******@gmail.com wrote:
I get the install image from here.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...00138_RTCL.tar

Where is the runtime client fixPak I can download?


There is no such thing as fixpack for cleint. There is one fixpack for the
product. Fixpack 10 for the DB2 for Linux 32-bit V8 is here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...10_MI00138.tar

I am assuming that you are not running kernel 2.6, otherwise replace in above
string db2linuxIA32v8 with db2linux2632.

Also if you are interested in FixPack 11, replace string FP10_MI00138 with
FP11_MI00146.

I would like also to advise to browse FPxx_MI00yyy directories and download
FixPackReadme.txt as well as follow the link to Release.Notes and download
release.txt.

Understanding the structure of the directory tree on the FTP site will be handy
- specially if you are dealing with several platforms/operating systems. Let me
know if you are interested.

Jan M. Nelken
May 4 '06 #5

P: n/a
Thanks, Jan.
It means for DB2 Runtime Client on Linux, has to be a deinstall and
install new version.
No direct update like it in windows.

May 4 '06 #6

P: n/a
sh*******@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks, Jan.
It means for DB2 Runtime Client on Linux, has to be a deinstall and
install new version.
No direct update like it in windows.


No need to deinstall/install. Just apply the FixPak.

--
Knut Stolze
DB2 Information Integration Development
IBM Germany
May 4 '06 #7

P: n/a
Knut, how to apply the FixPak, using "installFixPak"? But I could not
find this from my download at all.

May 4 '06 #8

P: n/a
Ian
sh*******@gmail.com wrote:
Knut, how to apply the FixPak, using "installFixPak"? But I could not
find this from my download at all.


You downloaded the full install of the Runtime Client. This is not a
fixpack, thus no 'installFixPak' command.

There are not separate fixpacks for ESE, WSE, Express, Runtime Client,
etc. There is one fixpack for your platform, and it will update
everything from the Runtime Client to ESE with DPF.

So, download the fixpack and run 'installFixPak'.


May 4 '06 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.