467,202 Members | 1,083 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
Ask Question

Home New Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 467,202 developers. It's quick & easy.

backup question

jag
hi,

I am thinking about backup strategy. I have couple of questions for my
db2 community brothers.

1. Can i use full online or offline database backup as base for
incremental backup for tablespace? For example, if i take backup of
database A which contain tablespace X1,X2, can i take full offline or
online backup of A and then take incremental backup of X1,X2?

2. Can i take backup of only tablespaces ( all of them in current
database ) and then can restore database from those tablespace backups
without having any database level backup ?

3. is backup for all tablespaces in database slower than database
backup ?
regards,
jag

Apr 13 '06 #1
  • viewed: 2036
Share:
5 Replies
Ian
jag wrote:
hi,

I am thinking about backup strategy. I have couple of questions for my
db2 community brothers.

1. Can i use full online or offline database backup as base for
incremental backup for tablespace? For example, if i take backup of
database A which contain tablespace X1,X2, can i take full offline or
online backup of A and then take incremental backup of X1,X2?
Yes, provided TRACKMOD configuration parameter is ON.
2. Can i take backup of only tablespaces ( all of them in current
database ) and then can restore database from those tablespace backups
without having any database level backup ?
Not in V8.2 or earlier.
3. is backup for all tablespaces in database slower than database
backup ?

Do you mean comparing:

backup database sample
vs
backup database sample
tablespace (syscatspace, tempspace1, userspace1)

or
backup database sample tablespace (syscatspace)
backup database sample tablespace (tempspace1)
backup database sample tablespace (userspace1)
?
Apr 14 '06 #2
Ian wrote:
2. Can i take backup of only tablespaces ( all of them in current
database ) and then can restore database from those tablespace backups
without having any database level backup ?


Not in V8.2 or earlier.

Has this been added post V8.2?

Bob
Apr 14 '06 #3
Ian
Bob [IBM] wrote:
Ian wrote:
2. Can i take backup of only tablespaces ( all of them in current
database ) and then can restore database from those tablespace backups
without having any database level backup ?


Not in V8.2 or earlier.

Has this been added post V8.2?


I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! :-)
Well, I guess this is public information, so:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c/c0022321.htm

Apr 14 '06 #4
Ian wrote:
Bob [IBM] wrote:
Ian wrote:
2. Can i take backup of only tablespaces ( all of them in current
database ) and then can restore database from those tablespace backups
without having any database level backup ?

Not in V8.2 or earlier.

Has this been added post V8.2?


I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you! :-)
Well, I guess this is public information, so:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c/c0022321.htm

Yes in Viper -- I took from your post that it was in a fixpack post V8.2
prior to V9.
Apr 14 '06 #5
jag
thanks to all for help

Apr 22 '06 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

1 post views Thread by Andrew E | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by newbiegca_sqlsever2000 | last post: by
reply views Thread by newbiegca_sqlsever2000 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by jane | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Eric Herber | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by uthuras@hotmail.com | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by manwiththeaxe.70@gmail.com | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.