By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,018 Members | 901 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,018 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Doc Fixpack 9 for V8 ?

P: n/a
Dear all,

Can we expect the doc fixpack 9 to be released soon ? I hope so, I don't
understand why the publib.boulder.ibm.com is updated and the IBM support
site is not ...

Kind regards,

Jean-Marc
Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
11 Replies


P: n/a
Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
Dear all,

Can we expect the doc fixpack 9 to be released soon ? I hope so, I don't
understand why the publib.boulder.ibm.com is updated and the IBM support
site is not ...

There will be none. See earlier threads.

Serge

--
Serge Rielau
DB2 SQL Compiler Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
In article <3e************@individual.net>, Serge Rielau
(sr*****@ca.ibm.com) says...
Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
Dear all,

Can we expect the doc fixpack 9 to be released soon ? I hope so, I don't
understand why the publib.boulder.ibm.com is updated and the IBM support
site is not ...

There will be none. See earlier threads.

Serge


I don't understand why the docs are not released as a fixpack. Now
every customer is running into the problem that the docs are outdated
while IBM has the updated docs on it's website.
It doesn't make sense to me and it doesn't feel right.
Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
"Gert van der Kooij" <ge**@invalid.nl> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.xs4all.nl...

I don't understand why the docs are not released as a fixpack. Now
every customer is running into the problem that the docs are outdated
while IBM has the updated docs on it's website.
It doesn't make sense to me and it doesn't feel right.


Given what you said, and the fact there are numerous errors in the on-line
docs, I think the manager in charge of IBM documentation should be replaced.
Nov 12 '05 #4

P: n/a
"Mark A" <no****@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:y8********************@comcast.com...
"Gert van der Kooij" <ge**@invalid.nl> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.xs4all.nl...

I don't understand why the docs are not released as a fixpack. Now
every customer is running into the problem that the docs are outdated
while IBM has the updated docs on it's website.
It doesn't make sense to me and it doesn't feel right.
Given what you said, and the fact there are numerous errors in the on-line
docs, I think the manager in charge of IBM documentation should be

replaced.


Given that the IBM online site has been updated, I would be very satisfied
with a documentation fixpack. It shouldn't be too difficult to release, no ?
I have been used to the Information Center that I use frequently on my
portable ...
Nov 12 '05 #5

P: n/a
"Jean-Marc Blaise" <no****@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:42865267$0$3114
Given that the IBM online site has been updated, I would be very satisfied
with a documentation fixpack. It shouldn't be too difficult to release, no
?
I have been used to the Information Center that I use frequently on my
portable ...

I would also like the documentation to be accurate, and with explanations
that are commensurate with the complexity of the topic under discussion.
Nov 12 '05 #6

P: n/a
and please, with more examples using all or nearly all of the options
for the given command.

Nov 12 '05 #7

P: n/a
DB2 Information Development is reviewing the effort required to produce
a documentation FixPak for the FP9 of the product documentation. I will
post a definitive answer within the next few days. Thanks to everyone
who raised their voices on this issue.

Doug Foulds
Manager, DB2 Information Development
IBM Toronto

bw********@yahoo.com wrote:
and please, with more examples using all or nearly all of the options
for the given command.


Nov 12 '05 #8

P: n/a
"Doug Foulds" <df*****@ca.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:11**********************@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
DB2 Information Development is reviewing the effort required to produce
a documentation FixPak for the FP9 of the product documentation. I will
post a definitive answer within the next few days. Thanks to everyone
who raised their voices on this issue.

Doug Foulds
Manager, DB2 Information Development
IBM Toronto

bw********@yahoo.com wrote:
and please, with more examples using all or nearly all of the options
for the given command.

Hi Doug,

Any news ?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc
Nov 12 '05 #9

P: n/a
Jean-Marc,

We've just completed a review this request. It took longer than we
anticipated to complete, so I do apologize for the delay in replying to
this thread. We've weighed several factors and decided that we will not
be producing a documentation FixPak. This will come as a disappointment
to those of you who use the locally-installed version of the
Information Center. When we started the effort to document new
functionality available in FixPak 9, we make a deliberate choice to
spend our efforts on the content itself and update just the web-based
DB2 Information Center. Providing complete and comprehensive coverage
of the FixPak 9 functionality in the web-based IC came at the expense
of buidling, testing and delivering documentation FixPaks in all
supported languages and locales; this work requires more effort than
one might expect, and we feel that, on balance, it is the best approach
for the most number of customers. Customers who rely on our PDF manuals
already know that they tend to lag behind the web-based Information
Center for the same reason: they require significant effort to produce
and test, particularly in all supported languages. However, we continue
to monitor how our customers use DB2 documentation (locally-installed,
web-based, and PDF) and we may revisit our current policy of focusing
mainly on the web-based IC for delivery of FixPak-level documentation
updates if we see enough interest from our customers. Thanks for
raising this issue, and please let me know if you have follow-on
questions or comments.

Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
"Doug Foulds" <df*****@ca.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:11**********************@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
DB2 Information Development is reviewing the effort required to produce
a documentation FixPak for the FP9 of the product documentation. I will
post a definitive answer within the next few days. Thanks to everyone
who raised their voices on this issue.

Doug Foulds
Manager, DB2 Information Development
IBM Toronto

bw********@yahoo.com wrote:
and please, with more examples using all or nearly all of the options
for the given command.

Hi Doug,

Any news ?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc


Nov 12 '05 #10

P: n/a
Hi Doug,

We have installed a locally-installed Information Center because many
developers don't have access to internet (security in some big companies
:-)).

Nevertheless, I fully understand your point of view. I prefer and wish IBM
keep efforts in increasing quality in web documentation (this is also valid
for the support site), giving examples, making technotes...

Compared to version 7 it's far far better, but we still keep looking too
much and therefore loose time.

Regards,

Jean-Marc
"Doug Foulds" <df*****@ca.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:11*********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
Jean-Marc,

We've just completed a review this request. It took longer than we
anticipated to complete, so I do apologize for the delay in replying to
this thread. We've weighed several factors and decided that we will not
be producing a documentation FixPak. This will come as a disappointment
to those of you who use the locally-installed version of the
Information Center. When we started the effort to document new
functionality available in FixPak 9, we make a deliberate choice to
spend our efforts on the content itself and update just the web-based
DB2 Information Center. Providing complete and comprehensive coverage
of the FixPak 9 functionality in the web-based IC came at the expense
of buidling, testing and delivering documentation FixPaks in all
supported languages and locales; this work requires more effort than
one might expect, and we feel that, on balance, it is the best approach
for the most number of customers. Customers who rely on our PDF manuals
already know that they tend to lag behind the web-based Information
Center for the same reason: they require significant effort to produce
and test, particularly in all supported languages. However, we continue
to monitor how our customers use DB2 documentation (locally-installed,
web-based, and PDF) and we may revisit our current policy of focusing
mainly on the web-based IC for delivery of FixPak-level documentation
updates if we see enough interest from our customers. Thanks for
raising this issue, and please let me know if you have follow-on
questions or comments.

Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
"Doug Foulds" <df*****@ca.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:11**********************@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
DB2 Information Development is reviewing the effort required to produce
a documentation FixPak for the FP9 of the product documentation. I will
post a definitive answer within the next few days. Thanks to everyone
who raised their voices on this issue.

Doug Foulds
Manager, DB2 Information Development
IBM Toronto

bw********@yahoo.com wrote:
and please, with more examples using all or nearly all of the options
for the given command.

Hi Doug,

Any news ?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

Nov 12 '05 #11

P: n/a
In article <11*********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
Doug Foulds (df*****@ca.ibm.com) says...
Jean-Marc,

We've just completed a review this request. It took longer than we
anticipated to complete, so I do apologize for the delay in replying to
this thread. We've weighed several factors and decided that we will not
be producing a documentation FixPak. This will come as a disappointment
to those of you who use the locally-installed version of the
Information Center.


Which means I'm out of luck when I'm at a customers site who because
of security demands doesn't allow internet access. That's too bad.

What I don't understand is that it's possible to create a lot of
different releasenotes in different languages and it's too much
effort to directly put this text in the right place for a full doc
update. Just don't put those doc updates in the release notes but
instruct your teams to update the docs.
Besides that, if I change a program or add a new one I'm always
ordered to update the docs before it's deliverd to our clients,
that's how it should work.
Nov 12 '05 #12

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.