467,199 Members | 990 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
Ask Question

Home New Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 467,199 developers. It's quick & easy.

Snapshot Missing Dynamic SQL Total Execution Time

I need to collect dynamic SQL execution times for a production
database. However, the totals are not being updated, despite setting
the DFT_MON_TIMESTAMP on. The DFT_MON_TIMESTAMP is listed in the V8
documentation as configurable online. However, after setting the
value on, the 'Total execution time' for dynamic SQL is still not
collected. I tried resetting the monitors, etc., but the only thing
that seemed to work is recycling DB2 (which is not an option for my
production environment). Is there anything else I can try, in order to
collect the snapshot information I want? Thanks.

Jennie
Nov 12 '05 #1
  • viewed: 3699
Share:
4 Replies
Colleciton of Several statement level elements is handled by the
statement switch...when you're doing your snapshots make sure that this
switch is on as well (db2 get monitor switches). Remember that switch
settings are configuratble per attachment, and can be adjusted to be
different than the default settings in the dbm cfg.

Jennie wrote:
I need to collect dynamic SQL execution times for a production
database. However, the totals are not being updated, despite setting
the DFT_MON_TIMESTAMP on. The DFT_MON_TIMESTAMP is listed in the V8
documentation as configurable online. However, after setting the
value on, the 'Total execution time' for dynamic SQL is still not
collected. I tried resetting the monitors, etc., but the only thing
that seemed to work is recycling DB2 (which is not an option for my
production environment). Is there anything else I can try, in order to
collect the snapshot information I want? Thanks.

Jennie

Nov 12 '05 #2
Thanks, using the monitor switch does work. However, when the
dft_mon_stmt is set on, and then the dft_mon_timestamp is subsequently
set to on, the totals are not available until after an instance
restart, it seems. Shouldn't the totals start accumulating without a
restart, since the dft_mon_timestamp is configurable online?

Thanks again,
Jennie

Sean McKeough <mc******@nospam.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<41********@news3.prserv.net>...
Colleciton of Several statement level elements is handled by the
statement switch...when you're doing your snapshots make sure that this
switch is on as well (db2 get monitor switches). Remember that switch
settings are configuratble per attachment, and can be adjusted to be
different than the default settings in the dbm cfg.

Nov 12 '05 #3
Ian
Jennie wrote:
Thanks, using the monitor switch does work. However, when the
dft_mon_stmt is set on, and then the dft_mon_timestamp is subsequently
set to on, the totals are not available until after an instance
restart, it seems. Shouldn't the totals start accumulating without a
restart, since the dft_mon_timestamp is configurable online?


You don't need to restart the instance -- this parameter change is
valid for any new instance attachments. So terminate your current
attachment ('db2 terminate') and the next DB2 commands you execute
will pick up the default values for the monitor switches.

DFT_MON_* just controls whether the monitor switches are enabled
whenever you attach. This is no different than attaching and issuing
'update monitor switches using ...'.


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Nov 12 '05 #4
Another point to note is that when you turn a switch on, all values are
set to 0...you start counting from the point of the switch being turned
on. (And remember that the switch will only be turned on for _that_
monitoring attachment...you must issue the snapshot commands from the
same attachment).

Ian wrote:
Jennie wrote:
Thanks, using the monitor switch does work. However, when the
dft_mon_stmt is set on, and then the dft_mon_timestamp is subsequently
set to on, the totals are not available until after an instance
restart, it seems. Shouldn't the totals start accumulating without a
restart, since the dft_mon_timestamp is configurable online?

You don't need to restart the instance -- this parameter change is
valid for any new instance attachments. So terminate your current
attachment ('db2 terminate') and the next DB2 commands you execute
will pick up the default values for the monitor switches.

DFT_MON_* just controls whether the monitor switches are enabled
whenever you attach. This is no different than attaching and issuing
'update monitor switches using ...'.


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Nov 12 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

14 posts views Thread by Ina Schmitz | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Nathan Bloomfield | last post: by
1 post views Thread by jefftyzzer | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by grant@technologyworks.co.nz | last post: by
1 post views Thread by %NAME% | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.