473,708 Members | 2,387 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Parallel Database

Does DB2 UDB support parallel database i.e processing is taking place
on multiple nodes at the same time allowing users to be active on more
than one node simultaneously. This is to allow for failover as well as
load balancing?

Is there an equivalent of Real Application Cluster (RAC) in Oracle.
Where we can cluster at application level rather then hardware such as
HACMP.

Thanks & Rgds,
F

Mar 8 '06 #1
12 2297
DeeBee2 wrote:
Does DB2 UDB support parallel database i.e processing is taking place
on multiple nodes at the same time allowing users to be active on more
than one node simultaneously. This is to allow for failover as well as
load balancing?

Is there an equivalent of Real Application Cluster (RAC) in Oracle.
Where we can cluster at application level rather then hardware such as
HACMP.

Pretty loaded question. You are asking for two questions at once:
Failover and Parallelism

DB2 supports what is commonly called shared nothing parallelism for
scale out.
This has little to do with failover. It's pure breed scale out geared
towards >500GB data.
Typically DPF (Data partitioning feature) is used for warehousing.
But OLTP applications, when designed properly, can also take advantage
of it.

For failover you can use solutions such as provided by Veritas or you
can use HADR.

W.r.t RAC there is no direct match. DPF installations have a bigger
(more extreme) sweet spots with >100 nodes becoming typical, but they
are not geared for high availability without HACMP.

HADR is a pure breed failover and disaster recovery solution (for
disaster recovery you need dataguard in Oracle, not RAC).

It makes no sense to directly compare these since they address different
requirements

Tell us more about the business requirement of the question. Otherwise
this thread is going to turn into flame war in no time.

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Mar 8 '06 #2
Ian
Serge Rielau wrote:
DeeBee2 wrote:
Does DB2 UDB support parallel database i.e processing is taking place
on multiple nodes at the same time allowing users to be active on more
than one node simultaneously. This is to allow for failover as well as
load balancing?

Is there an equivalent of Real Application Cluster (RAC) in Oracle.
Where we can cluster at application level rather then hardware such as
HACMP.

Pretty loaded question. You are asking for two questions at once:
Failover and Parallelism


There is a company (xkoto) that has developed a software/hardware
solution that provides the equivalent of RAC for DB2 UDB. I believe
there are certain limitations as to the client software you use.

I haven't used this, but it seems like an interesting technology.

Mar 9 '06 #3
Interesting...
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...119TX1K0000594

Some obvious issues around NOT DETERMINISTIC and EXTERNAL ACTION events.
But it will cover many cases.
Not clear how they add a node or re-integrate a bounced system... (synch up)

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Mar 9 '06 #4
Ian wrote:
There is a company (xkoto) that has developed a software/hardware
solution that provides the equivalent of RAC for DB2 UDB.


Not the same thing as RAC at all - basically multiple copies of the same
database all over the place - a data farm. Really not a good thing to be
doing - you trade out up-to-date data for scalability. The more you
scale, the less up-to-date your datra becomes. And management becomes a
nightmare. FYI - there are multiple vendors doing similar things - MySQL
has a similar capability, Avokia also does something similar.
Mar 9 '06 #5
Mark Townsend wrote:
Ian wrote:
There is a company (xkoto) that has developed a software/hardware
solution that provides the equivalent of RAC for DB2 UDB.


Not the same thing as RAC at all - basically multiple copies of the same
database all over the place - a data farm. Really not a good thing to be
doing - you trade out up-to-date data for scalability. The more you
scale, the less up-to-date your datra becomes. And management becomes a
nightmare. FYI - there are multiple vendors doing similar things - MySQL
has a similar capability, Avokia also does something similar.

I agree it's not the same as RAC. It's like active/active HADR.
But I don't get your comment on "up-to-date".
How does relicating all updates to multiple nodes reduce up-to-date-ness.

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Mar 9 '06 #6
Ian
Mark Townsend wrote:
Ian wrote:
There is a company (xkoto) that has developed a software/hardware
solution that provides the equivalent of RAC for DB2 UDB.
Not the same thing as RAC at all - basically multiple copies of the
same database all over the place - a data farm.


From a technical perspective, that's true.

But from an end-user perspective, it's the same: Adding servers
to the cluster provides high availability and additional capacity.
Really not a good thing to be doing - you trade out up-to-date data
for scalability. The more you scale, the less up-to-date your datra
becomes. And management becomes a nightmare.


Well, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that their
solution works as advertised. xkoto says that their solution takes
care of ensuring that all copies of the database are up-to-date.
Mar 9 '06 #7

Serge Rielau wrote:
Typically DPF (Data partitioning feature) is used for warehousing.
But OLTP applications, when designed properly, can also take advantage
of it.


Serge,

I'm interested in this. Can you point us toward additional
information. It seems to me that the shared nothing architecture is
superior for data warehousing but not optimal for OLTP. It bugs me a
bit that for the OLTP UDB systems I've been involved with we usually
end up with an active-passive setup to allow for failover. We
essentially have an unused piece of hardware. With RAC at least you
get to use all the hardware even though there is an overhead cost.

Lew

Mar 9 '06 #8
Serge Rielau wrote:
But I don't get your comment on "up-to-date".
How does relicating all updates to multiple nodes reduce up-to-date-ness.


For two nodes (active/active HADR) it's not in issue. For 20 it becomes
problematic. For 200 nodes, on a reasonably busy system, latency of
replication becomes an issue.
Mar 9 '06 #9
se*****@yahoo.c om wrote:
Serge Rielau wrote:
Typically DPF (Data partitioning feature) is used for warehousing.
But OLTP applications, when designed properly, can also take advantage
of it.


Serge,

I'm interested in this. Can you point us toward additional
information. It seems to me that the shared nothing architecture is
superior for data warehousing but not optimal for OLTP. It bugs me a
bit that for the OLTP UDB systems I've been involved with we usually
end up with an active-passive setup to allow for failover. We
essentially have an unused piece of hardware. With RAC at least you
get to use all the hardware even though there is an overhead cost.

Lew,

This depends on your frame of mind.
Note that there doesn't have to be a 1-1 mapping between database and
the physical machine.
While the standby HADR system is idle (well it is rolling forward) the
machine doesn't have to.
If you have two databases for example you can use them to mutually fail
over.
Also the standby machine can be your test and development environment.
If production fails over you shoot development down if necessary.
Keep in mind that a good test environment should as much as possible
mimic the production system.
Even if you don't use the other machine at all you have to consider
total management cost of an active active clustering.
HADR is certified with the vast majority of apps because it is
non-invasive. You know what you get. There is soemthing to be said for
simplicity.

The gist of DPF in OLTP is that typically the OLTP system does not
undergo as rigorous a design as a warehouse. DPF demands dicipline and
rewards with near linear scalability.

I just went to www.ibm.com and did two searches: HADR; and DB2 BCU
Both yield quite a bit of information.
(BCU stands for balanced configuration unit.. a standard way of
designing DPF systems)

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 Solutions Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Mar 10 '06 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

2
13666
by: Neil Ginsberg | last post by:
I have a SQL 7 db with a union query (view), and I'm getting the error, "The query processor could not start the necessary thread resources for parallel query execution." This union query has been in place for about two years now with no problems until just now, though I haven't changed anything. Also, I have a local copy of the database on my machine, and the query runs fine. As noted, I haven't changed anything in the query, nor in the...
4
1851
by: matthieu exbrayat | last post by:
Hi all, I am desperately looking for some technical information concerning the way DB2 UDB is integrating parallelism. - which data distribution strategies are available? - how much is data distribution automatized ? - can the dba tune this? - etc.
3
2716
by: paytam | last post by:
Hi all, Is it possible to write parallel programming in C? I mean for example a simple program like I have a clock on a program that show me current time and and at the same time another job like input data from a user.If it is possible PLZ write a simple code for me ..
126
4307
by: ramyach | last post by:
Hi friends, I need to write a parallel code in 'C' on the server that is running SGI Irix 6.5. This server supports MIPS Pro C compiler. I don't have any idea of parallel C languages. I looked into few posts in this group. I could make out that there are several languages for parallel programming and parallel C is one of them. I need to know if this is supported by MIPS Pro C Compiler. Or are there any other parallel C languages that have...
0
1439
by: Belee | last post by:
I have a C# program which is running well. I made modification to the sql database I am using and sent it to the client's place. I put my database there and imported the client data from sql server data into it. Now when I run the application and try to save it gives me the following error 'OdbcConnection does not support parallel transactions'. My begin and comit are all in place. That is it was saving before I imported the data. When...
11
10476
by: lovecreatesbeauty | last post by:
For example, line L1 and line L2 are two lines in two-dimensional space, the start-points and end-points can be described with following the `point_t' type. The start-points and end-points are: Line L1 (L1_str, L1_end), L2 (L2_str, L2_end). Can I compare the float value of sloping rate of two lines to determine whether they are parallel lines? Some paper books tell that float value can not be compared to float value. Some people also try...
3
1861
by: lambert101 | last post by:
All, Running environment is non-partition database for datawarehouse with DB2 V8.2 on AIX. We have a few logical grouping of tables that we would like to load in parallel to save time. Each grouping may load up more than 10 GB of data. Are there any (physical) designs that may enhance loading tables in
4
15348
by: Soren | last post by:
Hi, I want to control some motors using the parallel port.. however, my laptop does not have any parallel ports (very few do). What I do have is a USB->Parallel converter... I thought about using PyParallel, but the USB->Parallel converter doesn't actually map to the LPT port .. and PyParallel only looks for LPT ports? Has anyone tried doing this? What are my options for controlling parallel connections on a laptop with no parallel...
3
2881
by: John | last post by:
I have a program that needs to run on a regular basis that looks at a queue table in my database. If there are items in the queue database I need to grab the data from the database and pass it to a web service to process. The web service will return either a completion code or error msg (the only errors expected would be timeout or cannot connection errors). This queue file can contain 0 to N messages. Naturally if there are no messages...
0
9289
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
9158
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
9001
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
7921
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
6615
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
4454
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
4712
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
2
2508
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
2096
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.