By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,946 Members | 717 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,946 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Where to get the best (Microsoft?) C++ certification?

P: n/a
JPK
Hi

I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then
get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication? Where can I do
tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most respectable certification? Does
it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
programming certifications?

thanks
Jun 18 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
JPK wrote:
I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and
then get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication?
I'll print you a certificate. What should it say? Yes, it's going to
be as worthless as any other you can find online. If I were to hire
you, even I am not going to accept it. Neither will anybody else worth
working for. Nor will I accept any other "certificate".
Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most
respectable certification?
A long resume with several good projects mentioned, written in C++, in
which you played a significant role. That'll get your foot in the door,
so to speak.
Does it have to be Microsoft
certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
certifications?
Anything concerning Microsoft you should ask in a Microsoft newsgroup.
Please refer to 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy.

Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

V
--
Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
Jun 18 '07 #2

P: n/a
JPK
Victor Bazarov wrote:
JPK wrote:
Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.
wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
(finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers? But, dont you agree,
that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has some value?
At least it means, that you know all the theory around C++ (like you know
all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance etc.).

btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to work
as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
becouse of my gap. Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the
problem is that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be
the solution to prove that I have the skills. What do you think?
Jun 18 '07 #3

P: n/a
JPK
Victor Bazarov wrote:
JPK wrote:
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.
You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
dont have a good resume -cannot get a programming job .... you know what
I mean? ...
Jun 18 '07 #4

P: n/a
JPK wrote:
Victor Bazarov wrote:
>JPK wrote:
Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There is
no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any C++
certification you can obtain is usually not worth the
paper it's printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more
valuable, start working on a project instead.

wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
(finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers?
Yes, that's what I am saying. It's off-topic here, however. Do you
have a C++ language question?
But, dont you
agree, that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has
some value?
No.
At least it means, that you know all the theory around
C++ (like you know all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance
etc.).
Doesn't mean anything except there is an online dispenser of papers
with some words printed on them, among which you can find "C++".
btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap.
<shrugSo?
What do you think is best to do to get a good CV?
Good honest work.
You might say:
"Start to work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I
cannot get a job becouse of my gap.
<shrugWere you in a coma? You don't have to answer. Get what you
can, support your aspirations, work on educating yourself in the mean
time.
Of course start working as a
programmer is best, but the problem is that I cannot get one!
Get something close, like in a QA department. Or Technical Support.
So,
studying (getting a paper) might be the solution to prove that I
have the skills. What do you think?
You can look for papers or you can look for work. Either way you're
going to have to invest time and effort. I am saying that looking for
papers is far less productive use of your time.

Again, this is all off-topic. Find yourself a recruiter and talk to
him, they know more tricks that can land you a decent job soon.

V
--
Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
Jun 18 '07 #5

P: n/a
JPK wrote:
Victor Bazarov wrote:
>JPK wrote:
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

You mean working for free?
No, I don't mean for free.
Getting involved in some project where
they do not pay?
Get involved in the projects that do pay.
>The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
programming job -dont have a good resume -cannot get a
programming job .... you know what I mean? ...
No, I don't know what you mean.

There is an old saying "He who wants to accomplish his goals
find the means; he who doesn't, finds an excuse". Start looking
for ways to get a job at least close to what you want to end up
doing. First goal: get a job in the same building as C++ group
and with the same shift as C++ group, so you can at least talk to
them.

V
--
Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
Jun 18 '07 #6

P: n/a
On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
<POISTA_AUTO_juhafiatkettu...@hotmail.com.invalidw rote:
Hi

I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then
get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication? Where can I do
tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most respectable certification? Does
it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
programming certifications?
The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
and JSD.

I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.

Jun 18 '07 #7

P: n/a
On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
Victor Bazarov wrote:
>JPK wrote:
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
dont have a good resume -cannot get a programming job .... you know what
I mean? ...
Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love some
extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project that seems
interesting, find a bug or something to add in that project and submit
patches. If you are good you will get your code committed and when your
potential employer asks you about your previous experiences you can
claim you have been working on open source projects, while it might not
be as good as paid work you don't have to pay for it and your potential
employer might value actual code more than papers (I probably would).

--
Erik Wikström
Jun 18 '07 #8

P: n/a
fa**********@yahoo.com wrote:
On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
<POISTA_AUTO_juhafiatkettu...@hotmail.com.invalidw rote:
>Hi

I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study
and then get a certification. What is best (online/mail)
certication? Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the
most respectable certification? Does it have to be Microsoft
certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
certifications?

The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
and JSD.
Depends on who's giving them...
I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.
I would not waste any money on BA, or JD, or MD, or JSD, in C++, no
matter from whom. Maybe, just *maybe*, DPS.

V
--
Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask
Jun 18 '07 #9

P: n/a
JPK
Erik Wikström wrote:
On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
>Victor Bazarov wrote:
>>JPK wrote:
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where
they do not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
programming job -dont have a good resume -cannot get a
programming job .... you know what I mean? ...

Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love
some extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project
that seems interesting, find a bug or something to add in that
project and submit patches. If you are good you will get your code
committed and when your potential employer asks you about your
previous experiences you can claim you have been working on open
source projects, while it might not be as good as paid work you don't
have to pay for it and your potential employer might value actual
code more than papers (I probably would).
thanks for an idea
Jun 18 '07 #10

P: n/a
JPK wrote:
Victor Bazarov wrote:
>JPK wrote:
Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
(finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers? But, dont you agree,
that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has some value?
At least it means, that you know all the theory around C++ (like you know
all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance etc.).

btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to work
as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
becouse of my gap. Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the
problem is that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be
the solution to prove that I have the skills. What do you think?

I'm not sure where you're located, but in my area you'd be able to find
a few job offers through a tech recruiter. They're often not the best
jobs, and usually are temporary (6 months to a year) positions, but they
generally pay well and might be a good way to get your career back on
track.
Jun 19 '07 #11

P: n/a

"JPK" <PO**************************@hotmail.com.invalidw rote in message
news:kh****************@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to
work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
becouse of my gap.
If you're good, everyone can see, even with 5 years gap in "working"
experience of C++, if you're or not a good C++ programmer.
If you think you're not good enough, the best thing to do (imho) is not
paying someone to write on a paper that you're good, but rather getting paid
(maybe a little less) to work on a C++ project and learn something.
Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the problem is that I
cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be the solution to
prove that I have
the skills.
Another solution to prove that you have the skills is to work (in your spare
time, if you can't do that in other moments) for an opensource project...
this will do the job, and help you finding contacts.

--
Marco
Jun 20 '07 #12

P: n/a
JPK
*PaN!* wrote:
"JPK" <PO**************************@hotmail.com.invalidw rote in
message news:kh****************@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years
gap. What do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might
say: "Start to work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is,
that I cannot get a job becouse of my gap.

If you're good, everyone can see, even with 5 years gap in "working"
experience of C++, if you're or not a good C++ programmer.
If you think you're not good enough, the best thing to do (imho) is
not paying someone to write on a paper that you're good, but rather
getting paid (maybe a little less) to work on a C++ project and learn
something.
>Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the problem is
that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be the
solution to prove that I have
the skills.

Another solution to prove that you have the skills is to work (in
your spare time, if you can't do that in other moments) for an
opensource project... this will do the job, and help you finding
contacts.
ok, thanks. interesting idea. of course the problem is that it would be
working without getting paid ..
Jun 21 '07 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.