By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,837 Members | 1,613 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,837 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

A good compiler please....

P: n/a
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

May 31 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
20 Replies


P: n/a
Nikhil Bokare wrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
32 bit code generation:
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

compiler+ide+debugger+project management+
resource editor

Approx 5MB download

jacob
May 31 '07 #2

P: n/a
On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

May 31 '07 #3

P: n/a

Guru Jois wrote:
On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/
why lcc? why not gcc?
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
or here is a list
http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/...#FreeCompilers

is lcc better in some way?

May 31 '07 #4

P: n/a
nszabolcs wrote:
Guru Jois wrote:
>On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
>>Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

why lcc? why not gcc?
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
or here is a list
http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/...#FreeCompilers

is lcc better in some way?
Yes. lcc is smaller, no installation problems, and it is a C compiler,
not a C++ compiler that can also compile C.
May 31 '07 #5

P: n/a
jacob navia <ja***@jacob.remcomp.frwrites:
nszabolcs wrote:
>Guru Jois wrote:
>>On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
see this could be useful to download. I don't know more about this
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

why lcc? why not gcc?
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
or here is a list
http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/...#FreeCompilers

is lcc better in some way?

Yes. lcc is smaller, no installation problems, and it is a C compiler,
not a C++ compiler that can also compile C.
That is totally unfair.

Gcc is the Gnu Compiler Collection. Formally known as the Gnu C
Compiler.

The C front end to Gcc is just that - a C front end.

May 31 '07 #6

P: n/a
On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.

A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
of warnings.

--
Tor

May 31 '07 #7

P: n/a
Tor Rustad <to********@hotmail.comwrites:
On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
>Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.

A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
of warnings.
I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.

The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.

Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
code.
May 31 '07 #8

P: n/a
On 31 Mai, 15:28, Richard <rgr...@gmail.comwrote:
Tor Rustad <tor_rus...@hotmail.comwrites:
<snip>
A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you get
a lot of warnings.

I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.

The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.
and -ansi
Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
code.
I use splint myself, which available both on Win32 and Linux.

http://www.splint.org/

on Ubuntu just type

sudo apt-get install splint

--
Tor

May 31 '07 #9

P: n/a
On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:28:46 +0200, Richard <rg****@gmail.comwrote
in comp.lang.c:
Tor Rustad <to********@hotmail.comwrites:
On 31 Mai, 11:36, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
Turbo C was one of my first compilers too, and I did pick up some bad
habbits from it. I haven't used it for a very long time, but you could
check if you invoke it in ANSI mode or not.

A good C compiler is gcc, and if you start using lint too, you a lot
of warnings.

I dont know why but in Linux land "lint" seems to have all but
vanished. There is lclint but this is not in the standard Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.

The Gcc options -Wall and -pedantic can help a lot.

Although off topic, I would be interested to hear what other C
programmers here use for "lint"'like examination of theirs and others
code.
PC Lint http://www.gimpel.com

A commercial product, but very reasonably priced for what it does.

I haven't tried splint, so I don't know if it is as good.

Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use a lint, or
one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
FAQs for
comp.lang.c http://c-faq.com/
comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++
http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html
Jun 1 '07 #10

P: n/a
On Jun 1, 4:32 am, Jack Klein <jackkl...@spamcop.netwrote:
Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use alint, or
one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.
I have to say I disagree with this. I think lint really blows :(

My compiler is already extremely picky with -W -ansi -pedantic, but
with lint you get screen after screen of spurious warnings even for a
100-line toy program. Sorting out all the cruft from the lint output
for a production-sized program would be an inconceivable burden.
--
JackKlein
Home:http://JK-Technology.Com
FAQs for
comp.lang.chttp://c-faq.com/
comp.lang.c++http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++http://www.club.cc.cmu.edu/~ajo/docs/FAQ-acllc.html

Jun 1 '07 #11

P: n/a
On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.
I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

-Sharath

Jun 1 '07 #12

P: n/a
On Jun 1, 2:08 pm, Sharath <avshar...@gmail.comwrote:
On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?
I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
I mean Dev C++ IDE with MinGW(gcc) compiler. I got confused with
Cygwin and MinGW, anyway both of them are configurable with Dev C++.

Jun 1 '07 #13

P: n/a
Sharath wrote:
On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
>Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

-Sharath
The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

Jun 1 '07 #14

P: n/a
"jacob navia" writes:
Sharath wrote:
>On May 31, 2:36 pm, Nikhil Bokare <nbok...@gmail.comwrote:
>>Can anyone suggest me a good, small, easy to use compiler which
follows ANSI C standards?

I use TurboC for the sole reason that I am quite used to it. It does
not follow some of the ANSI C standards.

I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers
The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE
Then for DevC the OP must type a file name of the form xxx.c when he creates
a new ffile. Appending ".c" makes it a C compiler.
Jun 1 '07 #15

P: n/a
Fr************@googlemail.com wrote:
Jack Klein <jackkl...@spamcop.netwrote:
>Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use alint,
or one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis
tools on the market, only thinks he/she is a professional
programmer.

I have to say I disagree with this. I think lint really blows :(

My compiler is already extremely picky with -W -ansi -pedantic,
but with lint you get screen after screen of spurious warnings
even for a 100-line toy program. Sorting out all the cruft from
the lint output for a production-sized program would be an
inconceivable burden.
What happened to -Wall, not to mention some others.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Jun 1 '07 #16

P: n/a
On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <j...@jacob.remcomp.frwrote:
Sharath wrote:
I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE
No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
is an IDE for both C and C++.

-Sharath

Jun 1 '07 #17

P: n/a
Sharath <av*******@gmail.comwrites:
On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <j...@jacob.remcomp.frwrote:
>Sharath wrote:
I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers

The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
is an IDE for both C and C++.

-Sharath
He asked for "easy to use" and compared with turbo C which kind of hints
at an IDE too. You could do a lot worse than Eclipse with the CDT plugin
for a C IDE which in turn uses gcc as a compiler backend. It has very
good Intellisense like functionality and code cross referencing.

Ideal for a beginner.

Eclipse "know how" is never a bad thing to have. Yes, its a bit on the
"heavy" side, but all (spit) Java apps are ...
Jun 1 '07 #18

P: n/a
Fr************@googlemail.com wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:32 am, Jack Klein <jackkl...@spamcop.netwrote:
>Anyone who makes a living programming in C who does not use alint, or
one of the more advanced and really expensive static analysis tools on
the market, only thinks he/she is a professional programmer.

I have to say I disagree with this. I think lint really blows :(

My compiler is already extremely picky with -W -ansi -pedantic, but
with lint you get screen after screen of spurious warnings even for a
100-line toy program. Sorting out all the cruft from the lint output
for a production-sized program would be an inconceivable burden.
I don't get screen after screen with lint warnings....

If Sun can keep a kernel lint clean, then you can do the same:

19. You have the following additional responsibilities when integrating
changes to
the kernel:

o Your changes must not introduce any lint errors. See tips on keeping
the kernel lint clean at /shared/ON/general_docs/lint_tips.txt.

o For the kernel, changes must conform to the C coding style.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/projec...lden_rules.txt

--
Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>
Jun 1 '07 #19

P: n/a
On Jun 1, 7:46 pm, Sharath <avshar...@gmail.comwrote:
On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <j...@jacob.remcomp.frwrote:
Sharath wrote:
I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
>http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers
The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE

No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
is an IDE for both C and C++.

-Sharath
Thanks for all the help.
I would also like to have an IDE.
But the basic requirement is it should work perfectly according to
ANSI standards in WindowsXP environtment.

Jun 3 '07 #20

P: n/a
Nikhil Bokare wrote, On 03/06/07 09:30:
On Jun 1, 7:46 pm, Sharath <avshar...@gmail.comwrote:
>On Jun 1, 5:43 pm, jacob navia <j...@jacob.remcomp.frwrote:
>>Sharath wrote:
I think Dev C++ IDE with Cygwin(gcc) compiler would fit your
requirement.
You can find link to this and other compilers at:
http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/FreeCompilers
The original poster was asking for a C ide, not a C++ IDE
No. He asked for a C compiler, not IDE. I suggested
Dev C++ IDE with MinGW compiler(which is a gcc port to
Windows and has both C and C++ compilers). And Dev C++
is an IDE for both C and C++.

-Sharath

Thanks for all the help.
I would also like to have an IDE.
But the basic requirement is it should work perfectly according to
ANSI standards in WindowsXP environtment.
If you use the correct options (-ansi -pedantic) all of the gcc based
systems above will conform to the C89 standard and I believe they will
all run on Windows XP.

You could also look at these pages
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_resources:Compilers
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_resources:IDEs
--
Flash Gordon
Jun 3 '07 #21

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.