By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
455,515 Members | 1,772 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 455,515 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

small C compiler that will run on Vista

P: n/a
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Jeremy Thomson

May 30 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
43 Replies


P: n/a
On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.
Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.
Thanks
>
Jeremy Thomson

May 30 '07 #2

P: n/a
Jeremy Thomson wrote:
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Jeremy Thomson
lcc-win32 download is 5.4MB only.

Includes compiler, project management debugger and IDE.
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32. Runs under
vista, but generates 32 Bit code

jacob
May 30 '07 #3

P: n/a
Jeremy Thomson said:

<snip>
Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php contains a long list
of free C compilers.

That list used to be a little longer, but alas, one of the compilers is
maintained by someone who seemed to me to be more determined to plug
his product here in comp.lang.c than he was to fix its bugs (or indeed
to learn C), so I removed that particular compiler from the list.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning his name, of course, but you can probably
spot him easily enough yourself.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.
May 30 '07 #4

P: n/a
Richard Heathfield wrote:
Jeremy Thomson said:

<snip>
>Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?

http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php contains a long list
of free C compilers.

That list used to be a little longer, but alas, one of the compilers is
maintained by someone who seemed to me to be more determined to plug
his product here in comp.lang.c than he was to fix its bugs (or indeed
to learn C), so I removed that particular compiler from the list.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning his name, of course, but you can probably
spot him easily enough yourself.
Meow.

--
Ian Collins.
May 30 '07 #5

P: n/a
blufox wrote:
On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:
.... snip ...
>>
Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.
Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 30 '07 #6

P: n/a
CBFalconer wrote:
blufox wrote:
>On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:
.... snip ...
>>Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.
Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.

Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
s/Linux/Linux, Solaris or a BSD/

--
Ian Collins.
May 30 '07 #7

P: n/a
Jeremy Thomson wrote:
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

which include Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express.

--
Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>
May 30 '07 #8

P: n/a
>Jeremy Thomson wrote:
>I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're providing,
why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?

--
Chris.
May 30 '07 #9

P: n/a
In article <f3**********@enyo.uwa.edu.au>,
Chris McDonald <ch***@csse.uwa.edu.auwrote:
>Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're
providing, why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?
Presumably that's all there's room left for.

-- Richard

--
"Consideration shall be given to the need for as many as 32 characters
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
May 30 '07 #10

P: n/a
In article <5c************@mid.individual.net>,
Ian Collins <ia******@hotmail.comwrote:
....
>You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
s/Linux/Linux, Solaris or a BSD/
Or, let's keep it simple, and just say:

s/Linux/XP or any earlier version of Windows, before the forces of evil *reall* took over/

May 30 '07 #11

P: n/a
On May 31, 12:41 am, rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:
In article <f3jrdn$m1...@enyo.uwa.edu.au>,
Chris McDonald <c...@csse.uwa.edu.auwrote:
Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're
providing, why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?

Presumably that's all there's room left for.

-- Richard

--
"Consideration shall be given to the need for as many as 32 characters
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
ROTFL.
No I still have 200GB left.
I dont have an internet connection at home, could use someone elses
dialup but prefer to steal bandwidth from my employer. As long as its
not too much bandwith.

Jeremy Thomson

May 30 '07 #12

P: n/a
On May 30, 4:59 pm, blufox <2500.prad...@gmail.comwrote:
Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.
Thanks
Yes DevCpp works. At least it compiles the example programs.

Jeremy Thomson

May 30 '07 #13

P: n/a
On May 30, 6:24 pm, jacob navia <j...@jacob.remcomp.frwrote:
>
lcc-win32 download is 5.4MB only.

Includes compiler, project management debugger and IDE.http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32. Runs under
vista, but generates 32 Bit code

jacob
Thanks I've downloaded it & compiled some of the examples so seems to
be working.
Had a hassle with the OpenGL demo. Needed an executable called cc1
when wasnt in the bin directory but in (if I remember) lib\lcc.
I copied the three .exes into bin and then OpenGL demo compiled.
Must find out how to set the PATH in Vista, everythings moved.
The other hassle was getting some docs on the Win32Api.
Theres a cuple of links on the lcc site. One to a application that
doesnt run on Vista because of a missing DLL (Bvrun something). The
other is a Win32.hlp file that doesnt load because Vista has a
WinHlp32.exe that just says old help files arent supported. I cant
override WinHlp32.exe from my XP because I cant set the secuiry access
to anything in \Windows.

Linux just looks better and better.

Jeremy Thomson

May 30 '07 #14

P: n/a
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
blufox wrote:
>On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:
... snip ...
>>>
Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.

Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help - and
you weren't even very good in that case.
>
--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
--

What's up with your signature?
May 30 '07 #15

P: n/a
Richard wrote:
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
>>
You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help - and
you weren't even very good in that case.
>--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?

--
Ian Collins.
May 30 '07 #16

P: n/a
Ian Collins <ia******@hotmail.comwrites:
Richard wrote:
>CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
>>>
You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help - and
you weren't even very good in that case.
>>--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?
I did ask about them - but you snipped my query. For some reason they
don't get cut off like other peoples do by my newsreaders. My guess is
that they are incorrectly delimited.
May 30 '07 #17

P: n/a
Richard wrote:
Ian Collins <ia******@hotmail.comwrites:
>Richard wrote:
>>CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help - and
you weren't even very good in that case.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?

I did ask about them - but you snipped my query. For some reason they
don't get cut off like other peoples do by my newsreaders. My guess is
that they are incorrectly delimited.
Nope I didn't snip it, I just checked and your query came after a
signature delimiter! Chuck's signature was correctly delimited.

--
Ian Collins.
May 30 '07 #18

P: n/a
Richard wrote:
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
>blufox wrote:
>>On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:
... snip ...
>>>>
Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine... snip ...

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.

Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would
know that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to
help - and you weren't even very good in that case.
If you study my answer with care, you will note that the OP wanted
to know sources for ANSI C compilers. Each of my two paragraphs
aimed him at a source. The multiple faults of Vista are covered in
my sig, which is immune to "topicality" considerations.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 31 '07 #19

P: n/a
On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:41:27 +0000 (UTC), Chris McDonald
<ch***@csse.uwa.edu.auwrote:
>>Jeremy Thomson wrote:
>>I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.

Given Vista's extensive resource requirements, which I assume you're providing,
why are you seeking a *small* C compiler?
My installation of Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2005 consumes
2.38 GB of disk space and typically about 23 MB of RAM when running
under Windows Vista. That's doesn't equate to "extensive resource
requirements" in this day and age of dirt-cheap multi-100GB hard
drives and Gigabytes of RAM.

If you have a PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you can download
and run Visual Studio 2005 Express edition for free. The IDE (editor,
compiler, linker, debugger, and much more) is worth checking out.

--
jay

http://www.microsoft.com/vista/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/
May 31 '07 #20

P: n/a
Richard said:

<snip>
>
Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help -
and you weren't even very good in that case.
In comp.lang.c, if you're bright, you can - to a certain extent - get
away with being unpleasant. And if you're charming, you can - to a
certain extent - get away with being clueless.

The ideal, of course, is "bright and charming", but few manage it. Chris
Torek is a fine example, however. Normally, we'll settle for one or the
other, or a reasonable balance ("fairly bright, not too unpleasant").

So far, Richard, you have demonstrated many times that you can be
unpleasant, but as far as I can recall you have yet to demonstrate that
you're bright. Until you establish a reputation for actually knowing C
and being able to help people to understand it better than they did
before encountering you, the denizens of clc aren't going to pay too
much attention to your sniping. You are currently losing rep points,
not gaining them. (And the mixup over the sig block won't have helped
you in that regard.)

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.
May 31 '07 #21

P: n/a
"Guru" Heathfield wrote:
Richard said:

<snip>
>Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would know
that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to help -
and you weren't even very good in that case.
This comment from Richard is perfectly correct. BUT...

It is against windows and as everybody here agrees, windows
users are morons by definitions. If they weren't they would be
using linux obviously.

In comp.lang.c, if you're bright, you can - to a certain extent - get
away with being unpleasant. And if you're charming, you can - to a
certain extent - get away with being clueless.

The ideal, of course, is "bright and charming", but few manage it. Chris
Torek is a fine example, however. Normally, we'll settle for one or the
other, or a reasonable balance ("fairly bright, not too unpleasant").

So far, Richard, you have demonstrated many times that you can be
unpleasant, but as far as I can recall you have yet to demonstrate that
you're bright.
Yes. To be bright in this newsgroup you have to ALWAYS be
in agreement with HEATHFIELD AND CO. If not, you are breaking
the rules.
Until you establish a reputation for actually knowing C
and being able to help people to understand it better than they did
before encountering you, the denizens of clc aren't going to pay too
much attention to your sniping.
Note that this individual is convinced that he speaks for the whole
group, even if nobody appointed him to do that. He IS the perfect
guru.
You are currently losing rep points,
And those points are distributed exclusively by heathfield.
NOTE THAT!
not gaining them. (And the mixup over the sig block won't have helped
you in that regard.)
Pathetic.
May 31 '07 #22

P: n/a
jacob navia said:
To be bright in this newsgroup you have to ALWAYS be
in agreement with HEATHFIELD AND CO.
Oh, do grow up, there's a good chap. I learn far more from bright people
who *disagree* with me than from those who agree.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.
May 31 '07 #23

P: n/a
In article <11**********************@a26g2000pre.googlegroups .com>,
Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.comwrites
>I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Jeremy Thomson

There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.

It will work well with the MS environment and will probably have
examples to start you on your way.

Several magazines have given these compilers away on the front cover so
you may not even have to download it.
--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
/\/\/ ch***@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

May 31 '07 #24

P: n/a

Jeremy Thomson wrote:
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.

Jeremy Thomson
I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?

May 31 '07 #25

P: n/a
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
Richard wrote:
>CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
>>blufox wrote:
On May 30, 9:52 am, Jeremy Thomson <panzer...@gmail.comwrote:

... snip ...
>
Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine... snip ...

Not sure, but can you please check if DevCpp works on Vista.
It may suit your need.

Try DJGPP 2.04, at <http://www.delorie.com>

You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..

Your pimping of other OSs is off topic and not discussed here. You
should know that. You spend enough time telling other people
what *is* on topic in this NG that I would have thought you would
know that. Out of 6 posts of yours only one actually even tried to
help - and you weren't even very good in that case.

If you study my answer with care, you will note that the OP wanted
to know sources for ANSI C compilers. Each of my two paragraphs
aimed him at a source. The multiple faults of Vista are covered in
my sig, which is immune to "topicality" considerations.
No one cares about your signature except those that want to snip it and
can not because it is incorrectly formatted I think.

gcc is ALSO available for Windows. - so as I said, your pimping of other
OSs is, by your own standards off topic and "we" are not interested.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
May 31 '07 #26

P: n/a
jacob navia wrote:
"Guru" Heathfield wrote:
.... snip ...
>>
So far, Richard, you have demonstrated many times that you can be
unpleasant, but as far as I can recall you have yet to demonstrate
that you're bright.

Yes. To be bright in this newsgroup you have to ALWAYS be in
agreement with HEATHFIELD AND CO. If not, you are breaking the rules.
Please confine your war with Richard Heathfield to e-mail. And try
to stay reasonably on-topic. lcc discussions, releases, etc.
belone on comp.compilers.lcc. But nobody will complain about the
odd ANN: (announce) posting here.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 31 '07 #27

P: n/a
Chris Hills wrote:
Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.comwrites
.... snip ...
>
>Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.
.... snip ...
>
There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.
Ridiculous advice (only one). Gcc is available in various guises,
such as MING, Cygwin, DJGPP, together with the whole raft of gcc
accessories. Then there is also such things as LCC available,
although I can't speak for its quality. These things are all free.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 31 '07 #28

P: n/a
CBFalconer wrote:
Chris Hills wrote:
>Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.comwrites
... snip ...
>>Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.
... snip ...
>There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.

Ridiculous advice (only one). Gcc is available in various guises,
such as MING, Cygwin, DJGPP, together with the whole raft of gcc
accessories. Then there is also such things as LCC available,
although I can't speak for its quality. These things are all free.
Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.

* it's free
* OP have used VC++ before
* OP want to run the compiler on Vista

the only drawback I see, is that it's not exactly a small thing to install.
--
Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>
May 31 '07 #29

P: n/a
Tor Rustad said:
CBFalconer wrote:
>Chris Hills wrote:
>>There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.

Ridiculous advice (only one). Gcc is available in various guises,
such as MING, Cygwin, DJGPP, together with the whole raft of gcc
accessories. Then there is also such things as LCC available,
although I can't speak for its quality. These things are all free.

Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.
He didn't say it was. What he said was that it is ridiculous to suggest
that it's the *only* sensible advice. And he's right.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.
May 31 '07 #30

P: n/a
On Thu, 31 May 2007 01:42:58 +0200, Richard <rg****@gmail.comwrote:
>>>--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?

I did ask about them - but you snipped my query. For some reason they
don't get cut off like other peoples do by my newsreaders. My guess is
that they are incorrectly delimited.
Odd. Agent doesn't recognize the sig separator, either, though it
looks properly formed.

Even when I look at the raw message file in hex, it looks OK.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
May 31 '07 #31

P: n/a
Tor Rustad wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:
>Chris Hills wrote:
>>Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.comwrites
... snip ...
>>>Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will
do fine.

... snip ...
>>There is really only one sensible solution for this (and I hate to
admitt it) that is the FREE Microsoft VC++ Express whichj you can
download for free from MS.

Ridiculous advice (only one). Gcc is available in various guises,
such as MING, Cygwin, DJGPP, together with the whole raft of gcc
accessories. Then there is also such things as LCC available,
although I can't speak for its quality. These things are all free.

Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.
It was the "only one sensible solution" part to which I objected.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 31 '07 #32

P: n/a
Al Balmer wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2007 01:42:58 +0200, Richard <rg****@gmail.comwrote:
>>--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?
I did ask about them - but you snipped my query. For some reason
they don't get cut off like other peoples do by my newsreaders. My
guess is that they are incorrectly delimited.

Odd. Agent doesn't recognize the sig separator, either, though it
looks properly formed.
XanaNews recognizes Chuck .sig separator just fine.


Brian

May 31 '07 #33

P: n/a
Richard <rg****@gmail.comwrites:
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.comwrites:
[snip]
No one cares about your signature except those that want to snip it and
can not because it is incorrectly formatted I think.
[...]

I'm not sure whether Chuck's signature is correctly formatted or not.

Here's the tail of his article to which you responded, with a '$' character
added to the end of each line:

$
-- $
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>$
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>$
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>$
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>$
cbfalconer at maineline dot net$
$
$
$
-- $
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com$
$

As you can see, his own signature (with the URLs) is introduced by a
correctly formatted "-- " delimiter. His provider automatically adds
*another* signature, also introduced by a correctly formatted "-- "
delimiter.

I don't remember the number of the relevant RFC, and I don't know
whether the signature is introduced by the first "-- " line or by the
last one.

In any case, surely this shouldn't cause any difficulty for anyone who
wants to snip his signature; just snip it manually, as you'd snip any
other irrelevant text. (My own newsreader, at least with the settings
I use, doesn't seem to treat signatures specially at all, and I have
to delete them manually; it's no big deal.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <* <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
May 31 '07 #34

P: n/a
On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:59:53 -0700, Keith Thompson <ks***@mib.org>
wrote:
>As you can see, his own signature (with the URLs) is introduced by a
correctly formatted "-- " delimiter. His provider automatically adds
*another* signature, also introduced by a correctly formatted "-- "
delimiter.
Doh ... I didn't notice that. Free accounts make you pay by
advertising them. That's the reason, I think. Agent (which I use)
trims the last occurrence of a signature block, not the first. No big
deal - it was just puzzling.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
May 31 '07 #35

P: n/a
On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:59:53 -0700, Keith Thompson <ks***@mib.org>
wrote:
(My own newsreader, at least with the settings
I use, doesn't seem to treat signatures specially at all, and I have
to delete them manually; it's no big deal.)
I think it can - the "what's new" for emacs 20.1 has
#

Signatures can be recognized in more intelligent fashions. See
gnus-signature-separator and gnus-signature-limit.
#

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
May 31 '07 #36

P: n/a
Default User wrote:
Al Balmer wrote:
>Richard <rg****@gmail.comwrote:
>>>>>--
> <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
.... snip ...
>>>>
Does anyone else detect a hint of irony in slagging off Chuck for
pimping other operating systems while quoting his signature links?

I did ask about them - but you snipped my query. For some reason
they don't get cut off like other peoples do by my newsreaders. My
guess is that they are incorrectly delimited.

Odd. Agent doesn't recognize the sig separator, either, though it
looks properly formed.

XanaNews recognizes Chuck .sig separator just fine.
It was even still correct in your quotation. Mine has deleted the
final space.

Someone has deleted attributions for quoted text. Bad.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>
<http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423>
<http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html>
<http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html>
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

May 31 '07 #37

P: n/a
On May 31, 10:41 pm, "std...@gmail.com" <std...@gmail.comwrote:
>
I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -
I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!

Jeremy Thomson

May 31 '07 #38

P: n/a
CBFalconer wrote:
Tor Rustad wrote:
[...]
>Microsoft VC++ Express is not a ridiculous advice at all.

It was the "only one sensible solution" part to which I objected.

OK, I misunderstood your remark then, I can't stand behind "only one
sensible solution", but a rephrase to "the most sensible solution" will do.

--
Tor <torust [at] online [dot] no>
May 31 '07 #39

P: n/a
On Wed, 30 May 2007 05:49:56 -0400, CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>You should also consider dumping Vista for Ubuntu (or other Linux),
which are free. All the Linux distributions come with gcc, the GNU
compiler. Read the following links for some Vista faults..
ffs.

Jim
May 31 '07 #40

P: n/a
On 31 May 2007 15:39:17 -0700, Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On May 31, 10:41 pm, "std...@gmail.com" <std...@gmail.comwrote:
>>
I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -

I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!

Jeremy Thomson
You could try OpenWatcom.
http://openwatcom.org/index.php/Main_Page
62Mb download.

JimS
Jun 1 '07 #41

P: n/a
Jeremy Thomson <pa*******@gmail.comwrote:
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.
What does the Sun JDK have to do with web pages and servers?
Jun 2 '07 #42

P: n/a

"Jeremy Thomson" <pa*******@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11*********************@g37g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
On May 31, 10:41 pm, "std...@gmail.com" <std...@gmail.comwrote:

I'm wondering if C is the right tool for your task?- Hide quoted
text -

- Show quoted text -

I'm a Pick programmer by profession & if I had it available on Vista
I'd use Pick Basic.
It has superb string handling, but then it should as the whole
database is based on nested delimited fields.
Under Unix I'd probably be able to do it with Bourne shell, grep &
awk.
I just have a soft spot for c and have always wanted to learn how to
do windows programming.
Went through the Win32.hlp file bookmarking the sections a night
ago,
Wow! Its going to take me some time.

To Jay & Chris Hills, I probably download will download Visual
Studio
2005 Express, once I get a nice big Fat broadband connection. But I
live in NZ and Telecons idea of broadband is 128Kbs!
Huh, we can't even get broadband here. My idea of speed is when the
dialup's going at 1.5 kb/s.
Jun 3 '07 #43

P: n/a

"Jeremy Thomson" <pa*******@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@a26g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
I want to do some simple programming at home on my new Vista PC.
Its to automate moving .AAC files to my phone's mercury card.
(Nokia's application only works with USB cable or bluetooth).
So the application has to pick up a .m3u playlist, create any needed
directories
on the memory card and copy across the .AAC files. It also needs to
delete
the files and empty directories from the memory card when I want to
remove a playlist.

The only languages I have on it are .BAT and Open Office Basic.
I've got a very old version of Visual C++ (1.0!) that wont run on XP
let alone Vista.
Well it comes with VB Script and JScript as well.. You can download Visual
Studio Express C++. Its a bit larger than 40 megs, especially if you need to
SDK as well, but its also been on a couple of cover disks in the UK.
I've got Suns Java development environment but I'm a newbie to java &
I dont want
to have a web page & server just to copy files around on my PC.

Is there a small Free C compiler I can download somewhere?
Something that will handle ANSI C so I can generate an .exe will do
fine.
I like the Idea of CygWin but thats too big a download for me.
So anything under 40Mb would be good.
Well mingw www.mingw.org was produced for folks like you. Not sure how big
the download is but I think 40megs is about right. I use it all the time.

Jeremy Thomson

Jun 3 '07 #44

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.