By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
455,130 Members | 1,365 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 455,130 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Confusing Error Message

P: n/a
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying

"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"

it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help

wilson

class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};

Mar 23 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
Wilson <tp****@googlemail.comwrote:
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying

"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"

it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help

wilson

class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};
You have not provided enough information to diagnose your problem. See
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.8
for guidelines on how to post code that doesn't work.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply
Mar 23 '07 #2

P: n/a
On Mar 23, 5:48 pm, ricec...@gehennom.invalid (Marcus Kwok) wrote:
Wilson <tpw...@googlemail.comwrote:
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying
"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"
it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help
wilson
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};

You have not provided enough information to diagnose your problem. Seehttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
for guidelines on how to post code that doesn't work.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -
sorry. the operating system is windows using Dev c++ and below is the
whole code, main() only includes a simple function call for one of the
classes which causes no problems. the full error message says "[Build
error] multiple types in one decleration "error 1" "

#include <iostream>
#include <time.h>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

class Account
{
public:
virtual void returnbalance(){ cout << balance; }
virtual void deposit(float amount)
{
balance += amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been Added To
Your Account" << std::endl;
}
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account" << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
float balance;
int pin_number;
int account_number;
}
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class savings : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount && balance >= 200)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account";
if(amount >= 500)
{
balance = balance - 5;
std::cout << ", however a charge of $5
has been applied" << std::endl;
}
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
int numberofaccounts;
};
Mar 23 '07 #3

P: n/a

"Wilson" <tp****@googlemail.comwrote in message
news:11*********************@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
On Mar 23, 5:48 pm, ricec...@gehennom.invalid (Marcus Kwok) wrote:
>Wilson <tpw...@googlemail.comwrote:
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying
"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"
it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help
wilson
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};

You have not provided enough information to diagnose your problem.
Seehttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
for guidelines on how to post code that doesn't work.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -

sorry. the operating system is windows using Dev c++ and below is the
whole code, main() only includes a simple function call for one of the
classes which causes no problems. the full error message says "[Build
error] multiple types in one decleration "error 1" "

#include <iostream>
#include <time.h>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

class Account
{
public:
virtual void returnbalance(){ cout << balance; }
virtual void deposit(float amount)
{
balance += amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been Added To
Your Account" << std::endl;
}
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account" << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
float balance;
int pin_number;
int account_number;
}
Missing ; here. Should be
};
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class savings : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount && balance >= 200)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account";
if(amount >= 500)
{
balance = balance - 5;
std::cout << ", however a charge of $5
has been applied" << std::endl;
}
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
int numberofaccounts;
};
Fix was in line. Scroll up, you were missing a ; after your definition of
class Account
Mar 23 '07 #4

P: n/a
On Mar 23, 2:39 pm, "Wilson" <tpw...@googlemail.comwrote:
On Mar 23, 5:48 pm, ricec...@gehennom.invalid (Marcus Kwok) wrote:


Wilson <tpw...@googlemail.comwrote:
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying
"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"
it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help
wilson
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};
You have not provided enough information to diagnose your problem. Seehttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8
for guidelines on how to post code that doesn't work.
--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -

sorry. the operating system is windows using Dev c++ and below is the
whole code, main() only includes a simple function call for one of the
classes which causes no problems. the full error message says "[Build
error] multiple types in one decleration "error 1" "

#include <iostream>
#include <time.h>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

class Account
{
public:
virtual void returnbalance(){ cout << balance; }
virtual void deposit(float amount)
{
balance += amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been Added To
Your Account" << std::endl;
}
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account" << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
float balance;
int pin_number;
int account_number;}

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;};

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
class savings : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
virtual void withdraw(float amount)
{
if (balance amount && balance >= 200)
{
balance -= amount;
std::cout << "$" << amount << " Has Been
Withdrawn From Your Account";
if(amount >= 500)
{
balance = balance - 5;
std::cout << ", however a charge of $5
has been applied" << std::endl;
}
}
else
{
std::cout << "Insufficient Funds" << std::endl;
}
}
protected:
int numberofaccounts;

};- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -
You're missing a semicolon at the end of one of your class
definitions. Classes definitions must have a semicolon after the
closing bracket.

Mar 23 '07 #5

P: n/a
Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...

Mar 23 '07 #6

P: n/a
da***********@fastmail.fm wrote:
Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...
It's that thing you enter into the ATM machine.

Brian
Mar 23 '07 #7

P: n/a
Default User <de***********@yahoo.comwrote:
da***********@fastmail.fm wrote:
>Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...

It's that thing you enter into the ATM machine.
PIN = Personal Identification Number
PIN Number = Personal Identification Number Number

See RAS syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome syndrome):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply
Mar 23 '07 #8

P: n/a
Marcus Kwok wrote:
Default User <de***********@yahoo.comwrote:
da***********@fastmail.fm wrote:
Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...
It's that thing you enter into the ATM machine.

PIN = Personal Identification Number
PIN Number = Personal Identification Number Number
ATM == Automatic Teller Machine machine.


Brian
Mar 23 '07 #9

P: n/a

"Wilson" <tp****@googlemail.comwrote in message
news:11*********************@e1g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
Hi, while writing a simplified version of a program i created the
following class, however when i went to compile and run the program
there was an error saying

"multiple types in one declaration" and there was a mention of a
"[Build Error]" and "Error 1"

it also highlights the final line (the one with a closing brace and
semi-colon), i cannot see what is wrong with this, please help

wilson

class checking : public Account
{
friend void new_account();
public:
int abc;
};
The error almost certainly is caused by something
in the portion of code you did not post.

-Mike
Mar 24 '07 #10

P: n/a
"Default User" <de***********@yahoo.comwrote in message
news:56*************@mid.individual.net...
Marcus Kwok wrote:
>Default User <de***********@yahoo.comwrote:
da***********@fastmail.fm wrote:

Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...

It's that thing you enter into the ATM machine.

PIN = Personal Identification Number
PIN Number = Personal Identification Number Number

ATM == Automatic Teller Machine machine.
You're the one who called it "ATM machine." I, and everyone I know, just
call it an ATM. As in, "Do you know where an ATM is?"

Incidently, I used to work for a company called ATM. Thought it would cool
working on ATMs. Turns out they made speaker racks for concerts :/
Mar 24 '07 #11

P: n/a
Default User <de***********@yahoo.comwrote:
Marcus Kwok wrote:
>Default User <de***********@yahoo.comwrote:
da***********@fastmail.fm wrote:

Also, "pin_number" is redundant.

Just sayin...

It's that thing you enter into the ATM machine.

PIN = Personal Identification Number
PIN Number = Personal Identification Number Number

ATM == Automatic Teller Machine machine.
Nice one, except we call ATM machines "At The Moment machines" :)
(just kidding, but not really)

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply
Mar 26 '07 #12

P: n/a
On Mar 24, 5:04 pm, "Jim Langston" <tazmas...@rocketmail.comwrote:
You're the one who called it "ATM machine." I, and everyone I know, just
call it an ATM. As in, "Do you know where an ATM is?"
I wonder if their back end runs with Microsoft MTS Transaction Server
Mar 28 '07 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.