By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,534 Members | 2,223 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,534 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

What a Funny Goup! I Asked a Question About Boost (C++ Filesystem Interface) & All I Got Is: My Question Is Irrelevant!

P: n/a
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, most of you up here
behave like the owners of the C++ language. A C++ interface
installation IS ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE! The language
does not possess the ability to handle even simple file directory
manipulation.
Those wise people that created it did not take care of it. So, BOOST
is a portable interface that contains a FILESYSTEM for handling
files and directories in the C++ LANGUAGE!
Now, where are you coming from telling me that a question about the
installation of such an important interface does not belong to this
group? Where did you learn logic? In a mental institution?
Also, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth with your childish responses
about relevance or irrelevance. Do you tell CNN to stop bothering you
with its commercials every 3 minutes? Sure you do, pseudo-elitists!
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
65 Replies


P: n/a
no no no.....that message should have been posted in sci.med.drugs.valium!

(that said... I agree with you)
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:uq********************************@4ax.com...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, most of you up here
behave like the owners of the C++ language. A C++ interface
installation IS ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE! The language
does not possess the ability to handle even simple file directory
manipulation.
Those wise people that created it did not take care of it. So, BOOST
is a portable interface that contains a FILESYSTEM for handling
files and directories in the C++ LANGUAGE!
Now, where are you coming from telling me that a question about the
installation of such an important interface does not belong to this
group? Where did you learn logic? In a mental institution?
Also, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth with your childish responses
about relevance or irrelevance. Do you tell CNN to stop bothering you
with its commercials every 3 minutes? Sure you do, pseudo-elitists!
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #2

P: n/a
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. [...]
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Oh, really? So, this your message qualifies as necessary and
non-trivial? And if you are not told that your posting about
a product installation is irrelevant in a non-product newsgroup,
how would you know to stop posting irrelevant messages? Where
did _you_ learn logic?
Jul 19 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:52:33 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<v.********@attAbi.com> wrote:
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. [...]
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Oh, really? So, this your message qualifies as necessary and
non-trivial? And if you are not told that your posting about
a product installation is irrelevant in a non-product newsgroup,
how would you know to stop posting irrelevant messages? Where
did _you_ learn logic?


Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #4

P: n/a
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
[...]
Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?


It's just become enough for me. And probably for many others
in this newsgroup. Don't be surprised when _all_ your posts
will go unanswered.
Jul 19 '05 #5

P: n/a
no hey keep going.....I haven't seen such pointless online bitch fighting
since I was 15...

just be careful now that no one accidentally posts something on topic in
this thread....

"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:ak********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:52:33 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<v.********@attAbi.com> wrote:
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. [...]
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Oh, really? So, this your message qualifies as necessary and
non-trivial? And if you are not told that your posting about
a product installation is irrelevant in a non-product newsgroup,
how would you know to stop posting irrelevant messages? Where
did _you_ learn logic?


Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #6

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:02:43 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<v.********@attAbi.com> wrote:
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
[...]
Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?


It's just become enough for me. And probably for many others
in this newsgroup. Don't be surprised when _all_ your posts
will go unanswered.


Of course, Victor. Why should they be answered by people who do not
know the answer? I hope they are not. I agree.

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #7

P: n/a
"Pete" <s3*****@student.uq.edu.au> wrote...
no hey keep going.....I haven't seen such pointless online bitch fighting
since I was 15...
I see you haven't much progressed since then...
just be careful now that no one accidentally posts something on topic in
this thread.... [...]

Jul 19 '05 #8

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:01:34 -0400, perseus wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:52:33 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<v.********@attAbi.com> wrote:
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. [...]
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Oh, really? So, this your message qualifies as necessary and
non-trivial? And if you are not told that your posting about
a product installation is irrelevant in a non-product newsgroup,
how would you know to stop posting irrelevant messages? Where
did _you_ learn logic?


Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?


Keep up with that attitude and you're less likely to get help later if you
post a question that is on topic in the group.

You were offered advice ("look somewhere else, because this isn't the
place to get your question answered") and start complaining when it wasn't
the answer you wanted.

And your post was the one that was unnessesary,
because if you had done your homework (reading the faq) before posting you
would have known wou'd get no answer.
If you go into a grocery store to buy a hammer, and they tell you to go to
the hardware store, do you complain?

Atleast it appears that you caps-lock keys has become unstuck.
regards
NPV


Jul 19 '05 #9

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:06:19 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger
<kb******@gascad.at> wrote:
From: Karl Heinz Buchegger <kb******@gascad.at>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: What a Funny Goup! I Asked a Question About Boost (C++ Filesystem
Interface) & All I Got Is: My Question Is Irrelevant!
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:06:19 +0200
Organization: GASCAD
Lines: 82
Message-ID: <3F***************@gascad.at>
References: <uq********************************@4ax.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: l1153p26.dipool.highway.telekom.at (62.46.208.26)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: news.uni-berlin.de 1060697179 33835683 62.46.208.26 (16 [95537])
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en] (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
Path: sn-us!sn-xit-01!sn-xit-08!supernews.com!freenix!feed.ac-versailles.fr!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!l1153p26.dipool.highway.telekom.AT!not-for-mail
Xref: sn-us comp.lang.c++:751512

perseus wrote:

I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous.


The only one reidiculous is you.
We already told you, that this group is about Standard C++
as defined by the ISO/ANSI standards document.
Obviously, most of you up here
behave like the owners of the C++ language.


No. But we know whats written in the standards document.
A C++ interface
installation IS ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE!


How can an installation be about a language.
A language is an abstract thing. Defined by some rules.
A product is an instantiation of those rules, in your case
the boost libraries. Your problem is with installing those
libraries, that is: making them usable in your system with your
particular compiler.

Installing a product can never be a language problem.
The language
does not possess the ability to handle even simple file directory
manipulation.
Those wise people that created it did not take care of it.


They did. But they decided to leave it out. They tried to leave
everything out, what is related to a specific operating system
and/or hardware. For the very same reason you will not find any
functions to control eg. a screen, a keyboard, device serial numbers,
etc. in standard C++.
So, BOOST
is a portable interface that contains a FILESYSTEM for handling
files and directories in the C++ LANGUAGE!


But Boost is just one library. There are hundreds other libraries out
there which do the same thing. None of them (including boost) is
part of Standard C++. That's why they are not topical in this group.
Now, where are you coming from telling me that a question about the
installation of such an important interface does not belong to this
group?


Because it doesn't. If you have problems in installing a specific
prodct, then the people maintaining that product are responsible for
that.
Where did you learn logic? In a mental institution?


Where did YOU learn logic? You intermix the terms 'language', 'product'
and 'installation' as it pleases you.
Also, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth with your childish responses
about relevance or irrelevance.


The only one wasting bandwith is you. You already have been told to
be off-topic. If I remember correctly you have even been told the
locations of the FAQ to inform yourself of what's on topic and what is not.
Do you tell CNN to stop bothering you
with its commercials every 3 minutes? Sure you do, pseudo-elitists!
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Please. Stop beeing childish. The boost people maintain a message board
where they are more then happy to help you sorting out your problems
with yout installation. You already have been told that. There your
question IS on topic.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger
kb******@gascad.at


Dear Karl Heinz Buchegger:

Why do you waste bandwidth with your shows of ignorance?
Since you don't know the answer to my question, why don't you
just move on to the next message? Is it absolutely necessary
for you to send me messages that amount to nothing?
In any case, give my best regards to ... the sensible Austrians.

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #10

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:12:16 GMT, "Nils Petter Vaskinn"
<no@spam.for.me.invalid> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:01:34 -0400, perseus wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:52:33 -0400, "Victor Bazarov"
<v.********@attAbi.com> wrote:
"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote...
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. [...]
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!

Oh, really? So, this your message qualifies as necessary and
non-trivial? And if you are not told that your posting about
a product installation is irrelevant in a non-product newsgroup,
how would you know to stop posting irrelevant messages? Where
did _you_ learn logic?


Victor,

You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.
Obviously, you do not know the answer to my question.
So, stop feeling compelled to respond. You just don't know
the answer. Isn't that enough for you?


Keep up with that attitude and you're less likely to get help later if you
post a question that is on topic in the group.

You were offered advice ("look somewhere else, because this isn't the
place to get your question answered") and start complaining when it wasn't
the answer you wanted.

And your post was the one that was unnessesary,
because if you had done your homework (reading the faq) before posting you
would have known wou'd get no answer.
If you go into a grocery store to buy a hammer, and they tell you to go to
the hardware store, do you complain?

Atleast it appears that you caps-lock keys has become unstuck.
regards
NPV


Here is another one that definitely wants me to know that he does not
know the answer to my question.
thank you for nothing NVP.

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #11

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:43:42 -0400
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote:
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, most of you up here
behave like the owners of the C++ language. A C++ interface
installation IS ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE! The language
does not possess the ability to handle even simple file directory
manipulation.
Those wise people that created it did not take care of it. So, BOOST
is a portable interface that contains a FILESYSTEM for handling
files and directories in the C++ LANGUAGE!
Now, where are you coming from telling me that a question about the
installation of such an important interface does not belong to this
group? Where did you learn logic? In a mental institution?
Also, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth with your childish responses
about relevance or irrelevance. Do you tell CNN to stop bothering you
with its commercials every 3 minutes? Sure you do, pseudo-elitists!
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!


Please get it into your head: This is a newsgroup for Standard C++.
Yes standard C++ lack[1] some things and that is why there are lots and
lots of packages/libraries like boost. Questions regarding Boost is OT
here and so is questions about wxWindows, ACE, dbconnect, ptypes,
crypto++, botan, V, Fox, GTK, FLTK, Boehm and so on. If this group
should answer ALL C++ related question, there would be 1000 post pr day.
So please understand that boost is OT!

Now, I think it is about time we stop feeding the troll.....

socketd

[1] Things like GUI-lib's, database access and others should NOT be in
standard C++
Jul 19 '05 #12

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:25:06 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger
<kb******@gascad.at> wrote:


perseus wrote:

Why do you waste bandwidth with your shows of ignorance?


You are funny !
Since you don't know the answer to my question, why don't you
just move on to the next message?


How do you know that I don't know the answer? I'm pretty sure
that most of the regulars could help you. But not in this group.
Is it absolutely necessary
for you to send me messages that amount to nothing?


They might actually teach you something :-)
In any case, give my best regards to ... the sensible Austrians.


Thank you. I will :-)


Hahahaha! They can help me, but not in this goup? Hahahaha!
You made me laugh! Let's go to the salami.cheese.cpp group to
get help! Hahahaha!

Jul 19 '05 #13

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:27:41 GMT, "Nils Petter Vaskinn"
<no@spam.for.me.invalid> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:17:26 -0400, perseus wrote:

Here is another one that definitely wants me to know that he does not
know the answer to my question.
thank you for nothing NVP.


You're welcome.

You are correct I do not know the answer to you question, but if I did I
wouldn't give it to you.

You have just confirmed that you care nothing for what the people in this
group thinks is acceptable to post.

You post a question and complain loudly when people tell you how to get an
answer. If you decide to follow that advice I suggest you adjust your
attitude before you ask the boost people for help, unless you want them to
ignore your request for help.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are people that read this group AND the
boost mailinglist that will choose not to help you if you should choose to
ask your question in the appropriate forum.
NPV


Thank you, NVP. You keep confirming my original impression
of you: huge contributions of nothingness.

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #14

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:37:41 +0200, Socketd <db@NO_SPAM_traceroute.dk>
wrote:
Please get it into your head: This is a newsgroup for Standard C++.
Yes standard C++ lack[1] some things and that is why there are lots and
lots of packages/libraries like boost. Questions regarding Boost is OT
here and so is questions about wxWindows, ACE, dbconnect, ptypes,
crypto++, botan, V, Fox, GTK, FLTK, Boehm and so on. If this group
should answer ALL C++ related question, there would be 1000 post pr day.
So please understand that boost is OT!

Now, I think it is about time we stop feeding the troll.....

socketd

[1] Things like GUI-lib's, database access and others should NOT be in
standard C++


socketd:

You must really be proud of your message.
Such an eloquent way of showing your ignorance and irrelevance.
Thank you for nothing.

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #15

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:31:29 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger
<kb******@gascad.at> wrote:
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger
kb******@gascad.at


Karl Hainz Buchegger:

I am still counting how many stupid messages you send
about not knowing the answer to my question. Keep on sending them,
baby.

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #16

P: n/a
This is a troll.

</dib>
John Dibling
Witty banter omitted for your protection
Jul 19 '05 #17

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:31:29 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.


Well he may have been silently plonked without us knowing, but I won't
plonk him yet, the thread is kind of amusing.

But I've given up on educating him.

What did you bet?

regards
NPV
Jul 19 '05 #18

P: n/a
#include<perseus.loser.h>

You know perseus to begin with I actually almost sympathised with you....
now it's just plain obvious that you are an obsessive wanker with nothing to
do with your time other than try to tell other people how ignorant they are.

If the people here are so ignorant and irrelevant as you say,
and I am assuming you are comparing these people to yourself,
how come you had to ask the question in the first place?

I mean, you keep complaining that no one will answer your question, yet, you
don't know the answer yourself.

Has that occured to anyone else?

"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:mh********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:37:41 +0200, Socketd <db@NO_SPAM_traceroute.dk>
wrote:
Please get it into your head: This is a newsgroup for Standard C++.
Yes standard C++ lack[1] some things and that is why there are lots and
lots of packages/libraries like boost. Questions regarding Boost is OT
here and so is questions about wxWindows, ACE, dbconnect, ptypes,
crypto++, botan, V, Fox, GTK, FLTK, Boehm and so on. If this group
should answer ALL C++ related question, there would be 1000 post pr day.
So please understand that boost is OT!

Now, I think it is about time we stop feeding the troll.....

socketd

[1] Things like GUI-lib's, database access and others should NOT be in
standard C++


socketd:

You must really be proud of your message.
Such an eloquent way of showing your ignorance and irrelevance.
Thank you for nothing.

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #19

P: n/a


Nils Petter Vaskinn wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:31:29 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.


Well he may have been silently plonked without us knowing, but I won't
plonk him yet, the thread is kind of amusing.

But I've given up on educating him.

What did you bet?


A beer for 13 messages.

5 messages have arrived 'till the bet.
Still counting.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger
kb******@gascad.at
Jul 19 '05 #20

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:51:01 GMT, "Nils Petter Vaskinn"
<no@spam.for.me.invalid> wrote:
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.


Well he may have been silently plonked without us knowing, but I won't
plonk him yet, the thread is kind of amusing.

But I've given up on educating him.

What did you bet?

regards
NPV


NVP,

What a stupid and uneducated Austrian.
He has never learned how to communicate with other people.
He tries to be ironic too! Such a luxury for such an idiot.

pereus
Jul 19 '05 #21

P: n/a
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:03:11 +1000, "Pete" <s3*****@student.uq.edu.au>
wrote:
#include<perseus.loser.h>

You know perseus to begin with I actually almost sympathised with you....
now it's just plain obvious that you are an obsessive wanker with nothing to
do with your time other than try to tell other people how ignorant they are.

If the people here are so ignorant and irrelevant as you say,
and I am assuming you are comparing these people to yourself,
how come you had to ask the question in the first place?

I mean, you keep complaining that no one will answer your question, yet, you
don't know the answer yourself.

Has that occured to anyone else?


Pete, I am really sorry, but you are also ignorant. I was flooded with
messages telling me that my C++ FileSystem Interface question was
irrelevant up here. I am only telling all these people that since they
don't know the answer to my question, they should SHUT UP
and MOVE ON TO THE NEXT MESSAGE.
THAT HOLDS FOR YOU TOO!

perseus
Jul 19 '05 #22

P: n/a
"Karl Heinz Buchegger" <kb******@gascad.at> wrote...
[..]
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.


I don't know the contents of your bet, but how do you know
he hasn't been plonked? Does everybody who plonks him have
to indicate that in the newsgroup?
Jul 19 '05 #23

P: n/a
>
Hahahaha! They can help me, but not in this goup? Hahahaha!
You made me laugh! Let's go to the salami.cheese.cpp group to
get help! Hahahaha!


You are absurd!
I would likely be able to help you in your quest, but certainly will not now
I have read your posts and how utterly pointless and rude you are.
What is your obsession about wasting bandwidth? It aint really wasting mine,
I found this all quite humorous :o)
Allan
Jul 19 '05 #24

P: n/a


Victor Bazarov wrote:

"Karl Heinz Buchegger" <kb******@gascad.at> wrote...
[..]
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.


I don't know the contents of your bet, but how do you know
he hasn't been plonked? Does everybody who plonks him have
to indicate that in the newsgroup?


OK. Rephrase.
The bet was on the first visible indication of plonking
in the group. Just talked with my collegous, they agree that
it was ment to be that way.

PS: before anybody asks: Victors message and my reply don't count :-)

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger
kb******@gascad.at
Jul 19 '05 #25

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:30:12 +0100, "Allan Bruce"
<al*****@TAKEAWAYf2s.com> wrote:

Hahahaha! They can help me, but not in this goup? Hahahaha!
You made me laugh! Let's go to the salami.cheese.cpp group to
get help! Hahahaha!


You are absurd!
I would likely be able to help you in your quest, but certainly will not now
I have read your posts and how utterly pointless and rude you are.
What is your obsession about wasting bandwidth? It aint really wasting mine,
I found this all quite humorous :o)
Allan

Allan,

Since you can't answer the question, why don't you just SHUT UP?
If you all had done that, there would be only one message: mine.
Is it very hard for you to understand such trivialities? Of course it
is humorous! A bunch of so-called C++ specilaists CANNOT READ THE
FILENAMES of a DIRECTORY! Quite humorous!

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #26

P: n/a

"perseus" <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:nv********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:30:12 +0100, "Allan Bruce"
<al*****@TAKEAWAYf2s.com> wrote:

Hahahaha! They can help me, but not in this goup? Hahahaha!
You made me laugh! Let's go to the salami.cheese.cpp group to
get help! Hahahaha!


You are absurd!
I would likely be able to help you in your quest, but certainly will not nowI have read your posts and how utterly pointless and rude you are.
What is your obsession about wasting bandwidth? It aint really wasting mine,I found this all quite humorous :o)
Allan

Allan,

Since you can't answer the question, why don't you just SHUT UP?
If you all had done that, there would be only one message: mine.
Is it very hard for you to understand such trivialities? Of course it
is humorous! A bunch of so-called C++ specilaists CANNOT READ THE
FILENAMES of a DIRECTORY! Quite humorous!

perseus


That is not the case in one bit - this newsgroup is dedicated to helping
people with problems with the c++ standard. I did not see your original
post but I am positive someone (probably most) could indeed help you but
this is not on topic here. I am sure they would have instructed you that
you were off topic and I am sure that at least some of them would have told
you a more appropriate newsgroup to post your answer to.
As for me not knowing, that is possible, if it has anything to do with
Microsoft, I will know but that is the platform I develop for. Not everyone
here develops for MS, infact I guarantee there are some people here that
develop for hardware that you have never heard of.
Allan
Jul 19 '05 #27

P: n/a

perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:nv********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:30:12 +0100, "Allan Bruce"
<al*****@TAKEAWAYf2s.com> wrote:

Hahahaha! They can help me, but not in this goup? Hahahaha!
You made me laugh! Let's go to the salami.cheese.cpp group to
get help! Hahahaha!


You are absurd!
I would likely be able to help you in your quest, but certainly will not nowI have read your posts and how utterly pointless and rude you are.
What is your obsession about wasting bandwidth? It aint really wasting mine,I found this all quite humorous :o)
Allan

Allan,

Since you can't answer the question, why don't you just SHUT UP?
If you all had done that, there would be only one message: mine.
Is it very hard for you to understand such trivialities? Of course it
is humorous! A bunch of so-called C++ specilaists CANNOT READ THE
FILENAMES of a DIRECTORY! Quite humorous!


No, it's quite logical. C++ has no directory facilites,
so why should one expect a C++ specialist to know something
that's not part of C++? And *you* lecture *us* about 'logic'.

-Mike

Jul 19 '05 #28

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:39:37 -0700, "Mike Wahler"
<mk******@mkwahler.net> wrote:
No, it's quite logical. C++ has no directory facilites,
so why should one expect a C++ specialist to know something
that's not part of C++? And *you* lecture *us* about 'logic'.

-Mike


Mike,

Logic IS my profession. Your response is idiotic.
C++ specialists should know how to read the filenames of
a directory. A million things are associated with this process.
You might want to change strings in large numbers of files, delete
strings, add strings between words, transfer files, copy files,
unzip files, rename files, etc., etc.
BOOST is a filesystem that allows you to use your current
C++ compiler to manipulale directories. Why don't you familiarize
yourself with BOOST before you start barking at other people?

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #29

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:58:50 -0400
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:39:37 -0700, "Mike Wahler"
<mk******@mkwahler.net> wrote:
No, it's quite logical. C++ has no directory facilites,
so why should one expect a C++ specialist to know something
that's not part of C++? And *you* lecture *us* about 'logic'.

-Mike


Mike,

Logic IS my profession. Your response is idiotic.
C++ specialists should know how to read the filenames of
a directory.


Not if they're a C++ specialist on embedded platforms that have no
notion of what files and directories are.
Jul 19 '05 #30

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:13:39 +0100, Matthew Burgess
<ca****@hermes.sunderland.ac.uk> wrote:
NNTP-Posting-Host: scotia-m-burgess.sunderland.ac.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Newsreader: Sylpheed version 0.9.0claws11 (GTK+ 1.3.0; Win32)
Xref: sn-us comp.lang.c++:751584

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:58:50 -0400
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:39:37 -0700, "Mike Wahler"
<mk******@mkwahler.net> wrote:
>No, it's quite logical. C++ has no directory facilites,
>so why should one expect a C++ specialist to know something
>that's not part of C++? And *you* lecture *us* about 'logic'.

>-Mike


Mike,

Logic IS my profession. Your response is idiotic.
C++ specialists should know how to read the filenames of
a directory.


Not if they're a C++ specialist on embedded platforms that have no
notion of what files and directories are.


Hahahaha! Hahahaha! Hahahaha!

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #31

P: n/a
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message
news:se********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:39:37 -0700, "Mike Wahler"
<mk******@mkwahler.net> wrote:
No, it's quite logical. C++ has no directory facilites,
so why should one expect a C++ specialist to know something
that's not part of C++? And *you* lecture *us* about 'logic'.

-Mike
Mike,

Logic IS my profession.


Thanks for the chuckle.
Your response is idiotic.
You said that before. But not why.
C++ specialists should know how to read the filenames of
a directory.
Why? C++ has no directory facilities.
A million things are associated with this process.
Doesn't matter how many things. C++ is not one of them.
I'm citing *facts*, which I can support, to which you
only respond with attacks upon my intelligence. This is
very telling.
You might want to change strings in large numbers of files, delete
strings, add strings between words, transfer files, copy files,
unzip files, rename files, etc., etc.
All of those things can be done with standard C++. What
cannot be done is the (necessarily platform-specific)
interfacing with directory structure.
BOOST is a filesystem that allows you to use your current
C++ compiler to manipulale directories.
I know what 'boost' is and does. It is certainly not a
filesystem. It's a third-party library for use with C++
applications. It supports most C++ implementations. My
'current' compiler may or may not be supported, you
don't know.
Why don't you familiarize
yourself with BOOST
I know what boost is. I've spent considerable time at
its web site, reading the code as an educational tool.
So far, I haven't had occasion to actually use it.
If I do, I know where to get information about how to
install, configure and use it. And so do you (you've
been told many times, but appear more interested
in arguing).
before you start barking at other people?


What barking? I tried to rationally explain how your
efforts here are pointless. Notice I did not make any
personal attacks upon you, as you've done with everyone
who responds to your messages with accurate answers.

-Mike

Jul 19 '05 #32

P: n/a
perseus wrote:
You continue using bandwidth with unnecessary messages.

That's pretty funny, as you felt the need to post a long whiny message
about how badly you were treated with your off-topic message.
*plonk*

Brian Rodenborn
Jul 19 '05 #33

P: n/a
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message news:<fm********************************@4ax.com>. ..
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:31:29 +0200, Karl Heinz Buchegger
<kb******@gascad.at> wrote:
He, he.
I just placed a bet on how many more replies will arrive
before he gets plonk-ed the first time.
Still counting.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger
kb******@gascad.at


Karl Hainz Buchegger:

I am still counting how many stupid messages you send
about not knowing the answer to my question. Keep on sending them,
baby.

perseus


I wasn't going to bite but now I am.

Taking nothing away from many other regular contributors, Karl is one
of the most helpful people in this group.

Look through the history of the group.
Read posts from Karl (and many of the other poeple you are only
failing to offend because they don't care what you think of them).
Notice how helpful and polite they are to people who don't display
your attitude problem.
Consider that regular readers know this about them already.
Consider now how you are presenting yourself.
Hang your head in shame.
Go away and don't come back until you have learnt manners and
humility.

GJD
Jul 19 '05 #34

P: n/a
foo
perseus <fa***@fantigo.com> wrote in message news:<uq********************************@4ax.com>. ..
I think that everyone who told me that my question is irrelevant,
in particular Mr. David White,
is being absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, most of you up here
behave like the owners of the C++ language. A C++ interface
installation IS ABOUT THE C++ LANGUAGE! The language
does not possess the ability to handle even simple file directory
manipulation.
Those wise people that created it did not take care of it. So, BOOST
is a portable interface that contains a FILESYSTEM for handling
files and directories in the C++ LANGUAGE!
Now, where are you coming from telling me that a question about the
installation of such an important interface does not belong to this
group? Where did you learn logic? In a mental institution?
Also, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth with your childish responses
about relevance or irrelevance. Do you tell CNN to stop bothering you
with its commercials every 3 minutes? Sure you do, pseudo-elitists!
Either answer the question I posed up here, or MOVE ON TO THE NEXT
MESSAGE! You are flooding the newsgroup with trivial and unnecessary
messages. YOU do that, not me!

perseus


Here here!!!
I totally agree with you.
I think we should start a trend, and flood this newsgroups with a
similar posting every time one of these elitists, topic police geek,
(don't have a life), morons post one of there ridiculous topic
relevance message.

The topic police do more harm then good. They make the newsgroups
less enjoyable, less productive, and less interactive.

I've seen questioners kicked around from one newsgroups to another
just because some narrow minded topic police idiots thought a question
was not narrowly focus enough for their particular newsgroups.

If you topic police narrow minded morons want a newsgroups with such a
narrow focus, why don't you just move to the moderated C++ newsgroups?

I think this newsgroups should be preserved for those users who want
to talk about anything RELATED to C++.
Jul 19 '05 #35

P: n/a
On 12 Aug 2003, foo wrote:
I think this newsgroups should be preserved for those users who want
to talk about anything RELATED to C++.


Then go to a newsgroup that discusses things that are RELATED to C++.
This newsgroup is for discussion of *STANDARD* C++. Why is that so damn
difficult to understand? There have been a slew of great reasons posted
today that explain why this newsgroup is run the way it is.

Have you ever thought that the reason the posts seem "narrow minded" as
you put it, is because the topic discussed here is in fact a narrow one,
and with good reason? That's the way we want it, and that's why this
newsgroup was created. Why is this so difficult to understand???

<OT>
I haven't been using newsgroups for very long, and I've never had to
killfile anyone. However, this thread, while at first very amusing, is
just getting on my nerves now. Can anyone quickly explain to me how to
PLONK someone in PINE? Thanks...
</OT>

************************************************** ***
Josh Lessard
Master's Student
School of Computer Science
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
(519)888-4567 x3400
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca
************************************************** ***

Jul 19 '05 #36

P: n/a
On 12 Aug 2003, foo wrote:
This is a ridiculous mentality to think that just because a topic is
not in the C++ standard, that it shouldn't be discuss here.


Why is it ridiculous to only discuss things which are meant to be
discussed in this newsgroup??? This newsgroup is for discussion of
STANDARD C++ only. That is its purpose...and now instead of reading about
Standard C++, I have to read about people whining about why they can't
post things in this newsgroup which are irrelevant to its topic. THINK
ABOUT IT!!

************************************************** ***
Josh Lessard
Master's Student
School of Computer Science
Faculty of Mathematics
University of Waterloo
(519)888-4567 x3400
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca
************************************************** ***

Jul 19 '05 #37

P: n/a
> This newsgroup is for discussion of *STANDARD* C++.

isn't that what comp.std.c++ is for?
Jul 19 '05 #38

P: n/a

"foo" <ma*******@axter.com> wrote in message >
I see nothing wrong with having a 1000 post per day.

I would rather have one good newsgroups that covered C++ programming
in general, and be able to interact with all C++ programmers
regardless of their particular nitch.

As it is now, I have to scan through dozens of newsgroups to be able
to do that.

There are plenty of times in which I have a problem and I want an
answer from another C++ programmer, and not a generic programmer.

For example, if I need help developing an STMP class, I would not
prefer to go to an STMP group and get advise from a generic
programmer. I would rather get advise from another C++ programmer,
who would probably give me a solution that is better suited for my
language.

As it is, I can't ask such a question here, because the topic police
would jump on me like white on rice.

This is a ridiculous mentality to think that just because a topic is
not in the C++ standard, that it shouldn't be discuss here.


I totall agree that we need such a forum. I think it would be a great
help.. Unfortunately, this isn't it. We need someone to set up such a
forum, and to host it on their server for free. But, do you know any one
who wants to volunteer their resources for it?
-Howard


Jul 19 '05 #39

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:18:37 -0400, Xenos <do**********@spamhate.com> wrote:
This newsgroup is for discussion of *STANDARD* C++.


isn't that what comp.std.c++ is for?


Nope.

comp.std.c++ is for discussion of the C++ Standard.

comp.lang.c++ is for discussion of Standard C++.

There's a difference.

The first is for things like design rationales for the C++ Standard.

The second is for things like programming techniques and usage of the
libraries in Standard C++.

--
Sam Holden
Jul 19 '05 #40

P: n/a
On 12 Aug 2003 10:26:42 -0700
ma*******@axter.com (foo) wrote:
Here here!!!
I totally agree with you.
I think we should start a trend, and flood this newsgroups with a
similar posting every time one of these elitists, topic police geek,
(don't have a life), morons post one of there ridiculous topic
relevance message.


WoW....more trolls, ok who forgot to lock the cage?

socketd
Jul 19 '05 #41

P: n/a
Thomas Matthews wrote:
Off-Topic:
How do I set up Netscape Newsreader for a kill file?
{Although off-topic for the NG., on-topic for this thread.}

Well, my implementation of NS doesn't require anything. You use the
Edit->Message Filters pulldown from the newsreader. I do wish NS had the
capability for global filters, but it doesn't as far as I can tell.


Brian Rodenborn
Jul 19 '05 #42

P: n/a
BOOST is a filesystem that allows you to use your current
C++ compiler to manipulale directories. Why don't you familiarize
yourself with BOOST before you start barking at other people?
I think I can summarize why these questions are off topic to this group
with a simple question:

What the fuck is BOOST and why are you pestering us about it?

perseus

Jul 19 '05 #43

P: n/a
foo wrote:
I think we should start a trend, and flood this newsgroups with a
similar posting every time one of these elitists, topic police geek,
(don't have a life), morons post one of there ridiculous topic
relevance message.

That would only be effective if there weren't kill files. Which there
are, and say hello to your buddy in mine.


Brian Rodenborn
Jul 19 '05 #44

P: n/a
Xenos wrote:
This newsgroup is for discussion of *STANDARD* C++.


isn't that what comp.std.c++ is for?


No, that is for discussing the standard itself. Posts about writing
programs are off-topic there.


Brian Rodenborn
Jul 19 '05 #45

P: n/a
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:20:23 -0700
"E. Robert Tisdale" <E.**************@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
John Dibling wrote:
This is a troll.


Troll handle: perseus
Forged email address: fa***@fantigo.com
Provocative off topic subject: What a Funny Goup!
I Asked a Question About Boost (C++ Filesystem Interface)
& All I Got Is: My Question Is Irrelevant!

But it is not cross posted
and perseus responds to most of the replies.

Overall, I agree.
This is an obvious troll. Please ignore it.


What took you so long this time Mr Tisdale? You usually respond so
quickly to other obvious trolls. I've been reading this entire thread
(and related ones) for several hours now without realising at all that
the guy was a troll. Thanks for pointing this out (again) *sigh*.

Jul 19 '05 #46

P: n/a
> What a stupid and uneducated Austrian.
He has never learned how to communicate with other people.
He tries to be ironic too! Such a luxury for such an idiot.


Hey Perseus,

Notice you have not had one person in the group rushing to your defence.
And I suppose it works out that everyone else is wrong and your right -
yeah?

Hrrmm, Boost as in home of shared_ptr, weak_ptr, right?
Well you won't get anything out of me now.

Advice: If you go with flow, newsgroups are a joy. Go against the flow it
is hell.
You will find the same in comp.lang.c
Change your attitude you arrogant bastard, read and follow the FAQ and it
will go well.

Stephen Howe
Jul 19 '05 #47

P: n/a
> Hahahaha! Hahahaha! Hahahaha!

What an ignoramus you are.

I've programmed a Texas Instruments DSP chip - TMS320C25 and for the medical
instrument it controlled, there was no such thing as a file or directory,
only a screen, pressure gauge and some ports. Later a keyboard was added,
but it was not there to start with.

And I have friends who routinely use Intels 186 chip for embedded ROM work
and likewise files, keyboards, screens are optional.

Shows how much you know as to what C++ is put use to.

Stephen Howe
Jul 19 '05 #48

P: n/a
> This is an obvious troll.

Dear me, I was not aware until I read your post.
It is obvious now. Thanks for enlightening me.

Stephen Howe
Jul 19 '05 #49

P: n/a
Stephen Howe wrote:
This is an obvious troll.


Dear me, I was not aware until I read your post.
It is obvious now. Thanks for enlightening me.


Happy to be of service. ;-)

Jul 19 '05 #50

65 Replies

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.