By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,192 Members | 858 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,192 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

C Programming: A Modern Approach 2nd Edition

P: n/a
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?
Jun 14 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
14 Replies


P: n/a
"Scott W" writes:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


I would not wait, I suppose the new edition covers C99 and there are very
few actual compilers for that anyway.
Jun 14 '06 #2

P: n/a
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.

--
Andrew Poelstra < http://www.wpsoftware.net/blog >
To email me, use "apoelstra" at the above address.
I know that area of town like the back of my head.
Jun 14 '06 #3

P: n/a
Andrew Poelstra wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


well, i've just ordered C Programming off amazon, it's not stocked in
town. i've already got K&R but it's proving to be a tough read (thus the
reason i'm looking at C Programming). like osmium said, it'll cover C99
and from what i've learned, not even GCC fully supports that so i
suppose i've not really got anything to lose. cheers for the advice
anyway ;)
Jun 14 '06 #4

P: n/a
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:03:52 +0100, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com>
wrote:
Andrew Poelstra wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?
Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


well, i've just ordered C Programming off amazon, it's not stocked in
town. i've already got K&R but it's proving to be a tough read


Slow down. K&R is not designed to be read at a page a minute. Other
books use a thousand pages to say the same thing. With K&R, read a
paragraph and think about it. The subject matter isn't any easier if
that paragraph is turned into a dozen pages.
(thus the
reason i'm looking at C Programming). like osmium said, it'll cover C99
and from what i've learned, not even GCC fully supports that so i
suppose i've not really got anything to lose. cheers for the advice
anyway ;)


--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Jun 14 '06 #5

P: n/a
Scott W wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


Next year? I wouldn't count on it. His site originally said "early
2005", when I asked him about this in July 2005 he indicated that work
on the book was progressing slowly and that the new edition would be
available early 2006 and he updated the site. Now the site states that
the book is only 75% complete and will be out in 2007, it may be but I
wouldn't hold my breath. The first version of the book is very good
(and very expensive), I wouldn't wait if I were you, the first edition
is a great book to learn from and it is pretty easy to learn the stuff
that is new in C99 afterwards.

Robert Gamble

Jun 14 '06 #6

P: n/a
osmium wrote:
"Scott W" writes:

the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?

I would not wait, I suppose the new edition covers C99 and there are very
few actual compilers for that anyway.


This is wrong.

gcc has a very good C99 implementation.
lcc-win32 (under windows) has most of the C99 functionality

Comeau C99 implementation is 100% compliant.

And there are many others: intel, etc.

Jun 14 '06 #7

P: n/a
Andrew Poelstra <ap*******@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


It's unclear to me what's "dishonest" about returning a book you've
read. Can you explain your reasoning?
Jun 14 '06 #8

P: n/a
On 2006-06-14, Jordan Abel <ra*******@gmail.com> wrote:
Andrew Poelstra <ap*******@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?


Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


It's unclear to me what's "dishonest" about returning a book you've
read. Can you explain your reasoning?


That's basically reading a book for free. Like returning an empty potato
chip bag.

That was my reasoning, but then I remembered the concept of a library. I've
really got to get some sleep. :-)

--
Andrew Poelstra < http://www.wpsoftware.net/blog >
To email me, use "apoelstra" at the above address.
I know that area of town like the back of my head.
Jun 14 '06 #9

P: n/a
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:06:19 GMT, Andrew Poelstra
<ap*******@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Jordan Abel <ra*******@gmail.com> wrote:
Andrew Poelstra <ap*******@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?

Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


It's unclear to me what's "dishonest" about returning a book you've
read. Can you explain your reasoning?


That's basically reading a book for free. Like returning an empty potato
chip bag.

That was my reasoning, but then I remembered the concept of a library. I've
really got to get some sleep. :-)


Libraries deal in used books - they don't have to try to sell it to
someone else. Besides, we've already paid for the library copy.
--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ
Jun 14 '06 #10

P: n/a
jacob navia wrote:
osmium wrote:
"Scott W" writes:

the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?

I would not wait, I suppose the new edition covers C99 and there are very
few actual compilers for that anyway.


This is wrong.


No it isn't.
gcc has a very good C99 implementation.
gcc is not a C99 compiler.
lcc-win32 (under windows) has most of the C99 functionality
lcc-win32 is not a C99 compiler.
Comeau C99 implementation is 100% compliant.


It is one of the few. There are many compilers that support *parts* of
C99 but only a small handful that are actually fully compliant (and
hence C99 compilers).

Robert Gamble

Jun 15 '06 #11

P: n/a
Robert Gamble a écrit :
jacob navia wrote:
osmium wrote:
"Scott W" writes:

the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?
I would not wait, I suppose the new edition covers C99 and there are very
few actual compilers for that anyway.


This is wrong.

No it isn't.

gcc has a very good C99 implementation.

gcc is not a C99 compiler.

lcc-win32 (under windows) has most of the C99 functionality

lcc-win32 is not a C99 compiler.

Comeau C99 implementation is 100% compliant.

It is one of the few. There are many compilers that support *parts* of
C99 but only a small handful that are actually fully compliant (and
hence C99 compilers).

Robert Gamble

According to your criteria then, there are no c++ compilers either,
since in a survey done by the c/c++ user's journal there were almost no
compilers that had 100% compliance witn ansi c++.

The problems of the gcc c99 implementation are minimal, and stating that
"it is not c99" is just not true.

Jun 15 '06 #12

P: n/a
jacob navia <ja***@jacob.remcomp.fr> writes:
[...]
According to your criteria then, there are no c++ compilers either,
since in a survey done by the c/c++ user's journal there were almost no
compilers that had 100% compliance witn ansi c++.
Perhaps. I don't know enough about the survey or about C++ compiler
to comment.
The problems of the gcc c99 implementation are minimal, and stating that
"it is not c99" is just not true.


In gcc, a number of C99 features either have not been implemented at
all or have not been implemented in accordance with the standard.
That might be good enough for some purposes, but not for all. If I
happen to have a C99 program that depends on extended identifiers,
inline functions, variable-length arrays, complex numbers, or any of
several other features, I can't reliably use gcc to compile it.
(Reference: <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.)

The *only* criterion for judging whether the missing features are
significant is whether they're needed by the code you need to compile.
If you don't happen to use those features, good for you, but that's
not necessarily going to be of any relevance to anyone else.

Compare this to the general level of conformance to the C90 standard,
where I can write a program that uses whatever features I like from
the 1990 ISO C standard and count on being able to compile and execute
it correctly on nearly any platform. That's what conformance looks
like, and that's what language standards are for.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
Jun 15 '06 #13

P: n/a
Jordan Abel wrote:
Andrew Poelstra <ap*******@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
On 2006-06-14, Scott W <d3************@gmail.com> wrote:
the second edition of King's book will be released next year. should i
wait until then or just get the currently available version?

Buy K&R and C Unleashed. If you can read through those (or have already)
before the second version comes out, buy the first. Attempt to return it
once you've read that, and buy the second version. Keep the second. And
the first, if you're honest.


It's unclear to me what's "dishonest" about returning a book you've
read. Can you explain your reasoning?


his real name is K.N. King :p
Jun 15 '06 #14

P: n/a
Robert Gamble <rg*******@gmail.comwrote:

<snip>
The first version of the book is very good (and very expensive), I
wouldn't wait if I were you, the first edition is a great book to
learn from and it is pretty easy to learn the stuff that is new in C99
afterwards.
It is a good book, and it is expensive. Don't overlook browsing in used
bookstores (or abebooks.com -- I just checked: they have a copy for US$23)
if you find the price prohibitive. I picked up my copy, in near mint
condition, at a library booksale for a mere 25 cents (because it's
softcover -- hardcovers go for $1). I had no idea it was such a gem until
I got it home (and apparently some local comp-sci student had no idea what
they were donating away...).
--
I.M. (definitely) !Knuth
Jul 18 '06 #15

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.