By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,147 Members | 1,347 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,147 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

about ggets()

P: n/a
is ggets() a standard c function?
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler.
The program actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws
an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c

If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Dec 26 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
11 Replies


P: n/a
On 26 Dec 2005 09:35:14 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "fidlee"
<fi****@gmail.com> wrote:
is ggets() a standard c function?
no.
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler.
The program actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws
an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c
You'll need to link with the library or C module that has the
definition of ggets in it.

A function called ggets was written by one of hte regulars here. I'm
sure he'll post, but a quick google should turn up a reference.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?


Yes.
Mark McIntyre
--

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Dec 26 '05 #2

P: n/a
fidlee wrote:
is ggets() a standard c function?


No, it is a public domain function from CBFalconer (can be found at
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/index.htm)
Dec 26 '05 #3

P: n/a
Giannis Papadopoulos wrote:
fidlee wrote:
is ggets() a standard c function?


No, it is a public domain function from CBFalconer (can be found
at http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/index.htm)


Pretty well covers it. However it is written in purely standard C,
so that it should compiler and execute correctly anywhere.

--
"If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
"show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
"Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
Dec 26 '05 #4

P: n/a
fidlee a écrit :
is ggets() a standard c function?
Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c --------------------^
You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
paste.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?


Surely, it should.

--
A+

Emmanuel Delahaye
Dec 26 '05 #5

P: n/a
Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
fidlee a écrit :
is ggets() a standard c function?

Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c


--------------------^
You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
paste.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Surely, it should.

I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his diligence
and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler? I
always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

--
Joe Wright
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
--- Albert Einstein ---
Dec 26 '05 #6

P: n/a
fidlee said:
is ggets() a standard c function?


Hey, Chuck! This one's for you! Fame at last, eh?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at above domain (but drop the www, obviously)
Dec 26 '05 #7

P: n/a
Joe Wright said:
is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler?
Pretty much, yes, if you'll excuse the odd bug or two.
I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.


So? What has that to do with it?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at above domain (but drop the www, obviously)
Dec 26 '05 #8

P: n/a
Emmanuel Delahaye a écrit :
Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.


"/his/ site", of course... Need holidays...

--
A+

Emmanuel Delahaye
Dec 26 '05 #9

P: n/a
Richard Heathfield wrote:
Joe Wright said:

is Borland Turbo C a Standard C compiler?

Pretty much, yes, if you'll excuse the odd bug or two.

I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.

So? What has that to do with it?

Thank you. I stand illuminated.

--
Joe Wright
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
--- Albert Einstein ---
Dec 26 '05 #10

P: n/a
Joe Wright <jo********@comcast.net> writes:
Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
fidlee a écrit : [...]
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all
the different flavours of C compiler right?

Surely, it should.

I wouldn't go that far. All the different flavors? How old are you?
ggets is not a Standard C function. Assuming Chuck F. did his
diligence and wrote ggets to C90 spec, is Borland Turbo C a Standard C
compiler? I always thought Turbo C was 16-bit DOS.


Given the qualification, "If ggets() is a standard function", the
statement is true. In fact, it's vacuously true, since ggets() isn't
a standard function.

Or perhaps Emmanuel was arguing that it should be.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
Dec 26 '05 #11

P: n/a

Joe Wright wrote:
Emmanuel Delahaye wrote:
fidlee a écrit :
is ggets() a standard c function?

Of course not. It's an gift from CBFalconer, a famous c.l.c. regular,
and you'll find its code on its site.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/ggets.zip>
I just tried to use this function in turbo C compiler. The program
actually compiles but on trying to run, the linker throws an error:
Linker Error: Underfined symbol '_ggets' in module fidlee.c


--------------------^
You linker sounds seriously broken... Please don't retype but copy and
paste.
If ggets() is a standard function, it should be available on all the
different flavours of C compiler right?

Surely, it should.

How old are you?


17 but why did you ask in the first place?

Dec 28 '05 #12

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.