468,272 Members | 2,171 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,272 developers. It's quick & easy.

Prime numbers

Don
> How do you write a program to print the prime numbers
up to 1 million?


#include <stdio.h>

/* This program implements a blindingly fast O(n^n) algorithm
to find prime numbers, using an elegant recursive method. */
int p(int n, int m, int d)
{
int i, r = m != n;
for(i=0; d && (i<n); i++)
r *= p(n,i*m,d-1)|!p(i,1,i);
return r;
}

/*------------------------------------------
Print primes up to the requested value
--------------------------------------------*/
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
int n;
for(n = 2; n<1000000; n++)
printf("%d is%s prime\n",n, p(n,1,n)?"" : " not");
return 0;
}

Nov 15 '05 #1
13 1863
Yeah, that is fast. Any day now I should know if 6 is prime or not...
:)

Nov 15 '05 #2

#if 0
Don wrote:
How do you write a program to print the prime numbers
up to 1 million?

The following program, believe it or not, prints every prime
(in "Stone-age" or unary code) in order! (subject, like any
program, to precision and overflow issues on your machine).
This version is not user-friendly: it may core-dump when
the primes get too big for it to handle.

It is based on an invention by John H. Conway, as reported
in _Ancient Puzzles_ by Dominic Olivastro.

I''m using this primality program for the Zimmermann Contest.
#endif

#include <stdio.h>

double Prog[] = {
/* This sequence of 14 fractions *is* the prime
* generation program !! The function below is just
* a (very crude) "Minsky-machine" interpreter.
*/
17/91., 78/85., 19/51., 23/38., 29/33., 77/29., 95/23.,
77/19., 1/17., 11/13., 13/11., 15/14., 15/ 2., 55/ 1.,
};

int ix, oic = 2, nic;
double f;

main()
{
for (nic = ix = 0; !nic; ix++) {
f = Prog[ix] * oic + .01;
nic = (((int)f != (int)(f - .02)) * (int)f);
}
oic = nic--;
if (!(nic + 1 & nic)) {
do fprintf(stderr, "1");
while (nic >>= 1);
fprintf(stderr, "\n");
}
main();
}

/* Best regards, James */

Nov 15 '05 #3
Don
As I said, it is blindingly fast.

As in "You'll go blind waiting for it to decide if 8 is prime."

Nov 15 '05 #4
James Dow Allen wrote:
[...]
The following program, believe it or not, prints every prime
(in "Stone-age" or unary code) in order! (subject, like any
program, to precision and overflow issues on your machine).
This version is not user-friendly: it may core-dump when
the primes get too big for it to handle.

[...snip...]

Apparently, only 2, 3, and 5 ("11", "111", and "11111") are prime, as
the program exits at that point. (Either that, or 7/"1111111" is "too
big for it to handle".)

--
+-------------------------+--------------------+-----------------------------+
| Kenneth J. Brody | www.hvcomputer.com | |
| kenbrody/at\spamcop.net | www.fptech.com | #include <std_disclaimer.h> |
+-------------------------+--------------------+-----------------------------+
Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:Th*************@gmail.com>
Nov 15 '05 #5
Don wrote:
As I said, it is blindingly fast.
What is?
As in "You'll go blind waiting for it to decide if 8 is prime."


Seeing as you provide no context I have no idea what you are talking
about. Search the group for instructions on how to get context in Google.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.
Although my email address says spam, it is real and I read it.
Nov 15 '05 #6
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:31:56 +0100, Flash Gordon
<sp**@flash-gordon.me.uk> wrote:
Don wrote:
As I said, it is blindingly fast.


What is?
As in "You'll go blind waiting for it to decide if 8 is prime."


Seeing as you provide no context I have no idea what you are talking
about. Search the group for instructions on how to get context in Google.


If you don't know what he is talking about then you have nothing to
contribute to the conversation. Try practicing not contributing.
Richard Harter, cr*@tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
Save the Earth now!!
It's the only planet with chocolate.
Nov 15 '05 #7
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:52:37 GMT, cr*@tiac.net (Richard Harter) wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:31:56 +0100, Flash Gordon
<sp**@flash-gordon.me.uk> wrote:
Don wrote:
As I said, it is blindingly fast.


What is?
As in "You'll go blind waiting for it to decide if 8 is prime."


Seeing as you provide no context I have no idea what you are talking
about. Search the group for instructions on how to get context in Google.


If you don't know what he is talking about then you have nothing to
contribute to the conversation. Try practicing not contributing.

Advising a would-be contributor to provide proper attribution *is* a
contribution.
--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
re************************@att.net
Nov 15 '05 #8
Don wrote
(in article
<11*********************@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>):
As I said, it is blindingly fast.


What is?

Step 1: Learn how to use newsgroups properly.

Step 2: Learn what newsgroups have the topics you are interested
in.

Step 3: Post there, with appropriate context included, so others
don't have to go searching for the post you are referencing.
--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Nov 15 '05 #9
Richard Harter wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:31:56 +0100, Flash Gordon
<sp**@flash-gordon.me.uk> wrote:
<snip a reply with no context>
Seeing as you provide no context I have no idea what you are talking
about. Search the group for instructions on how to get context in Google.


If you don't know what he is talking about then you have nothing to
contribute to the conversation.


Incorrect as evidenced by the fact that I *did* contribute. I suspect
that in this instance most of the regulars here would consider my
contribution more valuable than yours.
Try practicing not contributing.


I have plenty of practice at that. People who have read this group to
any real extent will have seen lots of examples of me not contributing.
However, in this case Don obviously had not yet leant about providing
context and I decided that I was as good a person as any to point out
the error of his ways.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.
Although my email address says spam, it is real and I read it.
Nov 15 '05 #10

Kenneth Brody wrote:
James Dow Allen wrote:
[...]
The following program, believe it or not, prints every prime
(in "Stone-age" or unary code) in order! (subject, like any
program, to precision and overflow issues on your machine).
This version is not user-friendly: it may core-dump when
the primes get too big for it to handle.

[...snip...]

Apparently, only 2, 3, and 5 ("11", "111", and "11111") are prime, as
the program exits at that point. (Either that, or 7/"1111111" is "too
big for it to handle".)


Well I *did* mention "overflow issues on your machine"!
(To save bandwidth I tend to be too parsimonious with the
smiley faces. Note that using gnu's 64-bit arithmetic won't
be enough to get up to 7.)

The (amazing) program, due to John Conway, is valid however
and would print primes with adequate hardware.

James

Nov 15 '05 #11
James Dow Allen <jd*********@yahoo.com> wrote:
(To save bandwidth I tend to be too parsimonious with the
smiley faces.)


I really don't believe that the handful (at most) bytes needed for a
clarifying emoticon are a particular hardship for anyone these days.
Unless you again neglected to include one...

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Nov 15 '05 #12
Oh, very good. A C code (translated of ForTran). Ok, very good. I'am
really like.
But...
Sometimes, we want to build ours own tools (poor e simply tools, is
true) and if that is her case... I advise you that begin like this:
* The only prime number that is "no-odd" is 2.
* Then you don't want verify if 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 is prime.
* A good algorhitm , in this case, probally is recursive.

Nice!

Nov 15 '05 #13
"Leonardo Andrade" <aa**********@gmail.com> writes:
Oh, very good. A C code (translated of ForTran). Ok, very good. I'am
really like.
But...
Sometimes, we want to build ours own tools (poor e simply tools, is
true) and if that is her case... I advise you that begin like this:
* The only prime number that is "no-odd" is 2.
* Then you don't want verify if 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 is prime.
* A good algorhitm , in this case, probally is recursive.


Look up "Sieve of Eratosthenes". It's about 2200 years old.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.
Nov 15 '05 #14

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

36 posts views Thread by Dag | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by Greg Brunet | last post: by
11 posts views Thread by don | last post: by
reply views Thread by AshifToday | last post: by
reply views Thread by ETM11871 | last post: by
25 posts views Thread by johnmsimon | last post: by
60 posts views Thread by rhle.freak | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by newstips6706 | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
reply views Thread by zattat | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.