470,596 Members | 1,413 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 470,596 developers. It's quick & easy.

Command line C compiler needed

I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
latest and moden one ?

Nov 14 '05 #1
9 4420
In article <11**********************@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups .com>,
happy <eh***********@yahoo.com> wrote:
I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
latest and moden one ?


Have a look at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/

--
Rouben Rostamian
Nov 14 '05 #2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

"happy" <eh***********@yahoo.com> writes:
I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
latest and moden one ?


Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
names (my system provides all of these).

GCC is undoubtedly the best libre compiler available, and is well
worth looking at. See http://gcc.gnu.org/ and also

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
http://www.cygwin.com/
http://www.mingw.org/
Regards,
Roger

- --
Roger Leigh
Printing on GNU/Linux? http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org/
GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848. Please sign and encrypt your mail.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>

iD8DBQFBw1TtVcFcaSW/uEgRAof0AJ9Yk39KQXpEymYFR/Sn9lLkTZ5lZQCdGtj+
V4/WLTYwKXRljrEqNpfiGs4=
=huth
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Nov 14 '05 #3
happy wrote:
I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the latest and moden one ?


Not sure what you mean by a command line C compiler. Any C compiler,
I would hope, could be invoked from the command line. I use Visual
C++ 7.0 from the command line (driven from a make file) because it's
easier to move projects to other platforms that way.

I'm sure there's a C only (as opposed to C++) option. But others can
correct me if I'm wrong.

If you do a search in this forum there were suggestion on how to
download a slightly older VC compiler for free. Perhaps the thread
was in comp.lang.c++?

This is not an endorsement but just another path you may wish to
consider.

Nov 14 '05 #4
gel
Microsoft offers their Visual C++ 2003 compiler as a free download:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Nov 14 '05 #5
Roger Leigh <${******@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:
"happy" <eh***********@yahoo.com> writes:
I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
latest and moden one ?


Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
names (my system provides all of these).


Not likely. The OP assumed that everybody would know what system he has
(probably because he doesn't even consider the possibility of other
systems' existence), which means that it is highly likely that he is on
some kind of M$ Windows. M$ OSes don't come with C compilers. You need
to download one.
I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW. The interface is
not perfect (in particular, it has some quirks which make me think that
its programmers are more used to some other windowing manager), but
quite sufficient for my purposes, and GCC can be used from the command
line. It can be found at <http://www.bloodshed.net/>.

Richard
Nov 14 '05 #6
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
rl*@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote:
Roger Leigh <${******@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:
"happy" <eh***********@yahoo.com> writes:
> I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
> latest and moden one ?
Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
names (my system provides all of these).

I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.


gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
you.
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>
Nov 14 '05 #7
Mark McIntyre <ma**********@spamcop.net> wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:24:02 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
rl*@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote:
Roger Leigh <${******@invalid.whinlatter.uklinux.net.invalid > wrote:
"happy" <eh***********@yahoo.com> writes:

> I need to download Command line C compiler ASAP ? Where can I find the
> latest and moden one ?

Didn't your system come with one? cc, c89, c99 and gcc are common
names (my system provides all of these).

I recommend Dev-C++, which comes with GCC and MingW.


gcc can be downloaded very easily (IMHO) via the cygwin downloader, which
lets you pick the bits you want and minimise extras. At the least you'll
want make and other commandline tools from the *nix set, which cygwin gives
you.


Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.

Richard
Nov 14 '05 #8

"Richard Bos" <rl*@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote in message
news:41****************@news.individual.net...
Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.


I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
well first time. You can ignore the IDE that comes with it. Starting with
http://gcc.gnu.org is rather more involved.

It compiled some code that had thwarted 3 other free compilers.

Bart
Nov 14 '05 #9
"Bart C" <bc@freeuk.com> wrote:
"Richard Bos" <rl*@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote in message
news:41****************@news.individual.net...
Dev-C++ is (or at least, can be) a single download, and also comes with
make, ar, and so forth. Not with ls and similar, though.


I downloaded dev-c++ on Richards recommendation and the gcc compiler worked
well first time.


Glad to hear it.

Richard
Nov 14 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

3 posts views Thread by Michael | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Shivonne | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by zhiwei wang | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by michael | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by virgincita schmidtmann | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.