By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,171 Members | 943 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,171 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Internet programming Help Wanted

P: n/a
I need some ideas on how to write a program that could

-- Read an MS Access database and grab information say Vehicle year,
vehicle make
-- Make a call to a website and enter the information grabbed earlier
-- Get the Auto premium quote
-- Store the results on the MS Access database / table.

The Websites that quote premium on web like progressive's website use
POST method to pass information from one URL to another. For example,
below are the URLs that we go through to get a quote on Progressive's
web site.

1) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/info.asp
2) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/PriorIns.asp
3) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/driver.asp
3) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/VehInfo.asp
4) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/Vehicles.Asp
5) https://buyonline2.progressive.com/A...nformation.asp
Finally on URL https://buyonline2.progressive.com/RateCombo.asp, I get
the quoted premium.

I would like to automate this process and have this done
programatically. Any ideas, sample code, help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 14 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
10 Replies


P: n/a
Rohit <jo**********@yahoo.com> spoke thus:
I need some ideas on how to write a program that could -- Read an MS Access database and grab information say Vehicle year,
vehicle make
-- Make a call to a website and enter the information grabbed earlier
-- Get the Auto premium quote
-- Store the results on the MS Access database / table.


(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)

Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
people expect.

For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
been answered.

* OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
"piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

* Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
locations of header files. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

* Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

* ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
code to C. These questions are both processor- and
OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
newsgroups.

* Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
comp.theory may be appropriate.

* Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
has features for interoperating with C, so consider
comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

* The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

* C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

* Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
such as alt.test.

news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
newsgroup for a given topic.

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Nov 14 '05 #2

P: n/a
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In comp.lang.c, Christopher (at***@nospam.cyberspace.org) wrote:
(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)


[Lots of text just to say: "Off-topic in this group"]

Would it be too hard for you to modify the subject of the
message to make it say "Off-Topic disclaimer" or something like that, so
we can filter it out?

Regards.

- --
My real e-mail address: chema (AT) chema.homelinux.org
http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es - EuropeSwPatentFree
I don't read HTML posts / No leo mensajes en HTML
Blog Overflow: http://chema.homelinux.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/9HSy9P6GbSlI+hkRAocTAJ9OUsncRCfGwpW+yi4Aql4cuREH3w CeMDAE
TkHN7eLWosPMdDtncTTZ2ys=
=H6wd
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Nov 14 '05 #3

P: n/a
José MarÃ*a Mateos <ch********@chema.homelinux.org> writes:
In comp.lang.c, Christopher (at***@nospam.cyberspace.org) wrote:
(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)


[Lots of text just to say: "Off-topic in this group"]

Would it be too hard for you to modify the subject of the
message to make it say "Off-Topic disclaimer" or something like that, so
we can filter it out?


I can certainly do that for my own followups of that genre.
Can't speak for Christopher.
--
"Am I missing something?"
--Dan Pop
Nov 14 '05 #4

P: n/a
José María Mateos wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In comp.lang.c, Christopher (at***@nospam.cyberspace.org) wrote:
(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)


[Lots of text just to say: "Off-topic in this group"]

Would it be too hard for you to modify the subject of the
message to make it say "Off-Topic disclaimer" or something like
that, so we can filter it out?

Regards.

- --
My real e-mail address: chema (AT) chema.homelinux.org
http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es - EuropeSwPatentFree
I don't read HTML posts / No leo mensajes en HTML
Blog Overflow: http://chema.homelinux.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/9HSy9P6GbSlI+hkRAocTAJ9OUsncRCfGwpW+yi4Aql4cuREH3w CeMDAE
TkHN7eLWosPMdDtncTTZ2ys=
=H6wd
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Would it be too much to ask you to remove the PGP signature and
the general oversized sig block (exceeds 4 lines). You might also
use a real sig marker per RFC specs, so we can filter it out.

--
Chuck F (cb********@yahoo.com) (cb********@worldnet.att.net)
Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!

Nov 14 '05 #5

P: n/a
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.com> writes:
Would it be too much to ask you to remove the PGP signature and
the general oversized sig block (exceeds 4 lines). You might also
use a real sig marker per RFC specs, so we can filter it out.


If José is unwilling, then you could just set up your newsreader
to strip the PGP signature before showing the article. I have my
newsreader set up that way and so I never even saw the PGP
signature.
--
"The expression isn't unclear *at all* and only an expert could actually
have doubts about it"
--Dan Pop
Nov 14 '05 #6

P: n/a
Ben Pfaff wrote:
CBFalconer <cb********@yahoo.com> writes:
Would it be too much to ask you to remove the PGP signature and
the general oversized sig block (exceeds 4 lines). You might also
use a real sig marker per RFC specs, so we can filter it out.


If José is unwilling, then you could just set up your newsreader
to strip the PGP signature before showing the article. I have my
newsreader set up that way and so I never even saw the PGP
signature.


Was I excessively subtle again?

--
Chuck F (cb********@yahoo.com) (cb********@worldnet.att.net)
Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
Nov 14 '05 #7

P: n/a
José María Mateos <ch********@chema.homelinux.org> writes:
In comp.lang.c, Christopher (at***@nospam.cyberspace.org) wrote:
(The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)


[Lots of text just to say: "Off-topic in this group"]

Would it be too hard for you to modify the subject of the
message to make it say "Off-Topic disclaimer" or something like that, so
we can filter it out?


Some newsreaders use subject headers to determine threads. If you
change the subject header, some readers will see the followup as an
unrelated separate article.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks***@mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Schroedinger does Shakespeare: "To be *and* not to be"
(Note new e-mail address)
Nov 14 '05 #8

P: n/a
Ben Pfaff <bl*@cs.stanford.edu> spoke thus:
Would it be too hard for you to modify the subject of the
message to make it say "Off-Topic disclaimer" or something like that, so
we can filter it out?
I can certainly do that for my own followups of that genre.
Can't speak for Christopher.


Hey, I was just copying you ;)

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Nov 14 '05 #9

P: n/a
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In comp.lang.c, CBFalconer (cb********@yahoo.com) wrote:
Would it be too much to ask you to remove the PGP signature
I'm afraid yes. I think everyone should use PGP. If you don't
want to use it, it's fine, but I'll keep using it.
and the general oversized sig block (exceeds 4 lines). You might also
use a real sig marker per RFC specs, so we can filter it out.


My sig is 4 lines plus the sig marker. I know the standard sig
marker is "-- ", but when it changes to "- --" when you make a PGP
in-line signature.

As someone else pointed out, you can tune your newsreader to
hide the PGP signature if that's too annoying for you.

Regards.

- --
My real e-mail address: chema (AT) chema.homelinux.org
http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es - EuropeSwPatentFree
I don't read HTML posts / No leo mensajes en HTML
Blog Overflow: http://chema.homelinux.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE/9WYu9P6GbSlI+hkRAgFoAKCORFMlsq9maYDgO7Sk9gff7j+LlQ Cgjq23
MMK3n1kO+W7/TJO+4/Wd5p8=
=1pUF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Nov 14 '05 #10

P: n/a
José María Mateos wrote:
In comp.lang.c, CBFalconer (cb********@yahoo.com) wrote:
Would it be too much to ask you to remove the PGP signature


I'm afraid yes. I think everyone should use PGP. If you don't
want to use it, it's fine, but I'll keep using it.
and the general oversized sig block (exceeds 4 lines). You might
also use a real sig marker per RFC specs, so we can filter it out.


My sig is 4 lines plus the sig marker. I know the standard sig
marker is "-- ", but when it changes to "- --" when you make a PGP
in-line signature.

As someone else pointed out, you can tune your newsreader to
hide the PGP signature if that's too annoying for you.


Your sig is what appears at this end, and is over size. However
that is not the point. I was obviously far too subtle for you in
pointing out the pointlessness of your complaint (about off-topic
notices) by a simple comparison of nuisances. At least the
original OT notice did not contravene any RFC specifications, as
far as I can see.

I shall try to remember to use a large club in the future.

--
Chuck F (cb********@yahoo.com) (cb********@worldnet.att.net)
Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
Nov 14 '05 #11

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.