By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,261 Members | 1,325 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,261 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

C Programming Book

P: n/a
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.
Nov 13 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
16 Replies


P: n/a

No, from my point of view, it's not.

I would recommand the book :

Mastering Standard C: A Self-Paced Training Workbook for Modern C Language
by Rex. Jaeschke (1999)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...61472987/used/
ref=olp_tab_used/104-7177428-2298362

Denis

"Eirik" <ha**************@yahoo.no> a écrit dans le message de news:
Nr******************@news2.e.nsc.no...
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

Nov 13 '05 #2

P: n/a
* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:

Hallo,
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?


- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>
- <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c+programming+books++group:comp.lang.c>
Wolfgang.
--
"Es gibt Dinge, die man bereut, ehe man sie tut. Und man tut sie doch."
-- Christian Friedrich Hebbel
Nov 13 '05 #3

P: n/a
Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no> spoke thus:
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.


If not the best, then one of the best (or so I believe most here will
tell you). Do use the second edition however; the first is outdated
in a number of respects.

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Nov 13 '05 #4

P: n/a
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:

* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:

Hallo,
Is "The C Programming Language"
by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?


- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>


I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.

--
pete
Nov 13 '05 #5

P: n/a
Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no> spoke thus:
Is "The C Programming Language"
by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C,
or are there any better books? I have some experience,
but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.


If not the best, then one of the best (or so I believe most here will
tell you). Do use the second edition however; the first is outdated
in a number of respects.


Don't fogret the errata.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/2ediffs.html

--
pete
Nov 13 '05 #6

P: n/a
* Thus spoke pete <pf*****@mindspring.com>:

Hallo,
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:
> Is "The C Programming Language"
> by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
> to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?

- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>


I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.


Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".
Wolfgang.
--
"Es gibt Dinge, die man bereut, ehe man sie tut. Und man tut sie doch."
-- Christian Friedrich Hebbel
Nov 13 '05 #7

P: n/a
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:54:03 +0100, "Eirik" <ha**************@yahoo.no>
wrote:
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

Yes. Second edition, of course.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
re************************@att.net
Nov 13 '05 #8

P: n/a
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:

* Thus spoke pete <pf*****@mindspring.com>:

Hallo,
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:
> Is "The C Programming Language"
> by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
> to buy when learning to program in C,
> or are there any better books?
- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>


I was unable to find any reference to the book
in question at that URL.


Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".


None of the books reviewed at that URL,
have a rating which indicates
whether they are considered to be better or worse than K&R2.

--
pete
Nov 13 '05 #9

P: n/a
Alan Balmer <al******@att.net> wrote in message news:<bf********************************@4ax.com>. ..
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:54:03 +0100, "Eirik" <ha**************@yahoo.no>
wrote:
Is "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books? I have
some experience, but mostly from different tutorials on the Internet.

Yes. Second edition, of course.

Do anyone have its Answer Book in the form of electronic edition?
Nov 13 '05 #10

P: n/a
Hunr wrote:

Alan Balmer <al******@att.net> wrote in message news:<bf********************************@4ax.com>. ..
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:54:03 +0100, "Eirik" <ha**************@yahoo.no>
wrote:
Is "The C Programming Language"
Yes. Second edition, of course.


Do anyone have its Answer Book in the form of electronic edition?


http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/

--
pete
Nov 14 '05 #11

P: n/a
In <sl****************************@news.theparallax.n et> Wolfgang Kaufmann <wk**************@theparallax.com> writes:
* Thus spoke pete <pf*****@mindspring.com>:

Hallo,
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:
> Is "The C Programming Language"
> by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
> to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?
- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>


I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.


Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".


Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author. But if
you value concisenes and correctness, nothing beats K&R2.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
Email: Da*****@ifh.de
Nov 14 '05 #12

P: n/a
Dan Pop wrote:
If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your
author.


http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html
http://herd.plethora.net/~seebs/c/c_tcr.html

<grin>

Nov 14 '05 #13

P: n/a
On 9 Dec 2003 12:46:01 GMT, Da*****@cern.ch (Dan Pop) wrote:
In <sl****************************@news.theparallax.n et> Wolfgang Kaufmann <wk**************@theparallax.com> writes:
* Thus spoke pete <pf*****@mindspring.com>:

Hallo,
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
* Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:
> Is "The C Programming Language"
> by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
> to buy when learning to program in C, or are there any better books?
- <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>

I was unable to find any reference to the book in question at that URL.
Read: "[...] or are there any better books?".


Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you prefer reading a 600 page
book instead of a 200 page book, then K.N. King is a better book. If you
prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.


Only if you consider misinformation stylish.
But if
you value concisenes and correctness, nothing beats K&R2.

Dan


--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
re************************@att.net
Nov 14 '05 #14

P: n/a
In article <br**********@sunnews.cern.ch>, Da*****@cern.ch says...
If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.


Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I
suspect you are being facetious, but it's hard to tell with some of
your posts until after the fact.

--
Randy Howard _o
2reply remove FOOBAR \<,
______________________()/ ()______________________________________________
SCO Spam-magnet: po********@sco.com
Nov 14 '05 #15

P: n/a
* Thus spoke pete <pf*****@mindspring.com>:

Hallo,
Wolfgang Kaufmann wrote:
>> * Thus spoke Eirik <ha**************@yahoo.no>:
>> > Is "The C Programming Language"
>> > by Kernighan and Ritchie still the best book
>> > to buy when learning to program in C,
>> > or are there any better books?
>> - <http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm>


None of the books reviewed at that URL,
have a rating which indicates
whether they are considered to be better or worse than K&R2.


Sure, that's because it wouldn't make any sense at all.

In my opinion, Nikolai Bezroukov (see
http://www.softpanorama.org/Bookshelf/index.shtml) gives some good
tips/recommondations on the "how to buy a good book?"-topic.

How do you know if a certain C book is better for Eirik (than whatever,
doesn't matter at all) or not? If you don't know Eirik personally well,
you don't know which book he might like better than TCPL. Of course you
could claim, that /you/ liked $foo better than TCPL.

Further, most people I know don't own a copy of TCPL, but that doesn't
mean that they don't know other good C books for beginners (which Eirik
might like check out).

For me it doesn't make sense to discuss something like that further, if
you want, have fun.

Wolfgang.
--
"Es gibt Dinge, die man bereut, ehe man sie tut. Und man tut sie doch."
-- Christian Friedrich Hebbel
Nov 14 '05 #16

P: n/a
In <MP************************@news.megapathdsl.net > Randy Howard <ra**********@FOOmegapathdslBAR.net> writes:
In article <br**********@sunnews.cern.ch>, Da*****@cern.ch says...
If you prefer a book written with style, then Schildt is your author.


Did you actually (even indirectly) endorse Schildt as an author? I


The answer to this question was to be found in my next sentence from the
same post. Too bad you snipped it without reading it...

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
Email: Da*****@ifh.de
Nov 14 '05 #17

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.