By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
454,924 Members | 1,142 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 454,924 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Boost library

P: n/a
I'm about to be a new user of the Boost C++ library, and I've installed
and compiled it, but I've come up empty on how to use it in my C++
programs. I can't find the documentation that explains which library
(name? location?) to use for the uBLAS portion. Can anyone point me to
some simple examples somewhere?

Advance thanks,

-ted in AZ

Jul 27 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
On 27/7/05 04:36, in article
11**********************@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com,
"go************@yahoo.com" <go************@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'm about to be a new user of the Boost C++ library, and I've installed
and compiled it, but I've come up empty on how to use it in my C++
programs. I can't find the documentation that explains which library
(name? location?) to use for the uBLAS portion. Can anyone point me to
some simple examples somewhere?

Advance thanks,

-ted in AZ


At the risk of being flamed for being off-topic, did you try the boost
website? 10 seconds of searching got me to here:

<http://www.boost.org/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm>

--
Regards,
Steve

"What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?"

Jul 27 '05 #2

P: n/a
Steve wrote:
At the risk of being flamed for being off-topic, did you try the boost
website? 10 seconds of searching got me to here:

<http://www.boost.org/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm>


There is also a newsgroup. My particular ISP doesn't have it, but yours
might. There is a free one out there, I can't remember if it allowed you
to post or not, I only recently removed it.

Lionel.
Jul 27 '05 #3

P: n/a
Lionel wrote:
There is also a newsgroup. My particular ISP doesn't have it, but yours
might. There is a free one out there, I can't remember if it allowed you
to post or not, I only recently removed it.


Gmane offers a usenet interface to the boost mailing lists, and to a
whole bunch of others. To post to the boost users mailing list via
usenet, you have to first subscribe to the mailing list on their
website. Then subscribe to:

gmane.comp.lib.boost.user

on

news.gmane.org

with your favorite newsreader. Additionally, they also offer a web
interface IIRC.

Hope that helps.

--
Matthias Kaeppler
Jul 27 '05 #4

P: n/a
Steve,

I've been to that web page, it's the same documentation that comes with
the library.

But I must be missing something really obvious ... I can't find the
ublas library after compiling and installing Boost!

-ted

Steve wrote:
On 27/7/05 04:36, in article
11**********************@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com,
"go************@yahoo.com" <go************@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'm about to be a new user of the Boost C++ library, and I've installed
and compiled it, but I've come up empty on how to use it in my C++
programs. I can't find the documentation that explains which library
(name? location?) to use for the uBLAS portion. Can anyone point me to
some simple examples somewhere?

Advance thanks,

-ted in AZ


At the risk of being flamed for being off-topic, did you try the boost
website? 10 seconds of searching got me to here:

<http://www.boost.org/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm>

--
Regards,
Steve

"What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?"


Jul 27 '05 #5

P: n/a
> I'm about to be a new user of the Boost C++ library, and I've installed
> and compiled it, but I've come up empty on how to use it in my C++
> programs. I can't find the documentation that explains which library
> (name? location?) to use for the uBLAS portion. Can anyone point me to
> some simple examples somewhere?


At the risk of being flamed for being off-topic, did you try the boost
website? 10 seconds of searching got me to here:


I've been to that web page, it's the same documentation that comes with
the library.

But I must be missing something really obvious ... I can't find the
ublas library after compiling and installing Boost!


uBlas is a header only library. Just include the appropriate headers in your
code and set the appropriate include path(s) for your compiler.

There is directory under your boost directory: ".\libs\numeric\ublas" that
has some benchmark and test examples.

You should really join the mailing lists as others have suggested. There is
a specific uBlas mailing list as well.

Jeff Flinn

Jul 27 '05 #6

P: n/a
Thank you Jeff -- that will get me started!

I would join the mailing list(s) except that they are strictly
prohibited where I work. I have to go home to do stuff like this -- it
makes research a PITA!

-Ted in Chandler

Jul 27 '05 #7

P: n/a
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:13:39 GMT, Steve <ro**@127.0.0.1> wrote:
On 27/7/05 04:36, in article
11**********************@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups .com,
"go************@yahoo.com" <go************@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'm about to be a new user of the Boost C++ library, and I've installed
and compiled it, but I've come up empty on how to use it in my C++
programs. I can't find the documentation that explains which library
(name? location?) to use for the uBLAS portion. Can anyone point me to
some simple examples somewhere?

Advance thanks,

-ted in AZ


At the risk of being flamed for being off-topic, did you try the boost
website? 10 seconds of searching got me to here:

<http://www.boost.org/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/index.htm>


Unfortunately the UBLAS sample code is thin on the ground and the
sample I did find would not compile on Visual Studio 2003 without
commenting out sections.

I recommend the OP start using Boost by using its reference counted
smart pointers (shared_ptr, shared_array) which are both fully defined
in the headers, so there's no need to compile and link to the Boost
library.
Jul 27 '05 #8

P: n/a
Matthias Kaeppler wrote:
Lionel wrote:
There is also a newsgroup. My particular ISP doesn't have it, but
yours might. There is a free one out there, I can't remember if it
allowed you to post or not, I only recently removed it.

Gmane offers a usenet interface to the boost mailing lists, and to a
whole bunch of others. To post to the boost users mailing list via
usenet, you have to first subscribe to the mailing list on their
website. Then subscribe to:

gmane.comp.lib.boost.user


That's the one I was talking about. I was subscribed to it but never
used it, so I unsubscribed. From what I read it was a good newsgroup,
much like this one.

Lionel.
Jul 28 '05 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.