By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
454,925 Members | 1,134 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 454,925 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

pointers and dynamic memory in C++

P: n/a
Hi,

i am looking for book/web siete about pointers, memory in C++ ? Does any
one know something up to date and good about these subjects ? Everything
I found on Amazon is slightly dated ...

Thanks !

Fibre Optic
Jul 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
Ian
Fibre Optic wrote:
Hi,

i am looking for book/web siete about pointers, memory in C++ ? Does any
one know something up to date and good about these subjects ? Everything
I found on Amazon is slightly dated ...

Have pointers changed over the past 20 years? If so, it's news to me.

Ian
Jul 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ian wrote:
Fibre Optic wrote:
Hi,

i am looking for book/web siete about pointers, memory in C++ ? Does any
one know something up to date and good about these subjects ? Everything
I found on Amazon is slightly dated ...

Have pointers changed over the past 20 years? If so, it's news to me.


AFAIK, C++ style casts (dynamic_cast, etc) are less than 20 years old.

Also, there's more to memory management than just pointers. RAII and
related topics are also important.

Jul 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
One of the (relatively) recent innovations is Smart Pointers.
"Effective C++" does a good job of covering smart pointers.
"Professional C++" (which I co-authored) also covers them, as do many
recent texts. In fact, that might be a good way to distinguish the more
recent coverage from the dated material.

Jul 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
Ian
Bart wrote:
Ian wrote:
Fibre Optic wrote:
Hi,

i am looking for book/web siete about pointers, memory in C++ ? Does any
one know something up to date and good about these subjects ? Everything
I found on Amazon is slightly dated ...


Have pointers changed over the past 20 years? If so, it's news to me.

AFAIK, C++ style casts (dynamic_cast, etc) are less than 20 years old.

Also, there's more to memory management than just pointers. RAII and
related topics are also important.

True, should have thought of that before posting a smart arse response.
"(More) Effective C++" gives good coverage of this. Don't worry about
the books being eight years old, they are still relevant.

Ian
Jul 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
klep wrote:
One of the (relatively) recent innovations is Smart Pointers.
"Effective C++" does a good job of covering smart pointers.
"Professional C++" (which I co-authored) also covers them, as do many
recent texts. In fact, that might be a good way to distinguish the more
recent coverage from the dated material.

even better, I yesterday bought your book, so i am all set :-)

Thank you!

Fibre Optic
Jul 23 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.