473,890 Members | 1,342 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Network Programming... Ugh!

First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.
Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man
Dec 18 '05 #1
7 1499
Poly-poly man wrote:
First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.
Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man


Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...mp11-linux.htm
Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
seems very 1994 :)
Dec 18 '05 #2
Andrew R wrote:
Poly-poly man wrote:
First off, I'd like to say that if you can find a better newsgroup for
this message, direct me to it.

My problem is this: I need to hook my Linux box up to a wireless network.

I thought of two ways of doing this:

1. Run an old Win98 or ME box as a bridge between wireless and wired,
writing a bridging program in the process, or

2. write a driver that actually works for my card (RTL8185L) under linux.

This seems like a relatively easy driver to write, but I have no idea
were to begin even.
Which do you suggest, and how would I do them?

thanks,
poly-p man

Um. google for 'linux wireless' ?

Quick HOWTO: Linux Wireless Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...mp11-linux.htm
Though I haven't ever done linux+wireless, being worried it isn't implemented
seems very 1994 :)


Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,
poly-p man
Dec 18 '05 #3
Poly-poly man wrote:
Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,


Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

Josh McFarlane

Dec 18 '05 #4
Josh Mcfarlane wrote:
Poly-poly man wrote:
Do you think I haven't read that or other readmes a thousand times?
Ndiswrapper works, but only for about 3 seconds before locking up the
computer. I won't go into the rest of this, just that I need a driver
and I need to write it.
Either that or a bridging program,

Then try under a linux networking newsgroup?

Josh McFarlane


I've given that question to comp.os.linux.n etworking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?

poly-p man
Dec 19 '05 #5
Poly-poly man wrote:
I've given that question to comp.os.linux.n etworking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?


This groups deals with the C++ language only. It cannot help you with
OS / Hardware specific questions.

Dec 19 '05 #6
No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
to communicate with the wireless network.
Have a good one.
Josh Mcfarlane wrote:
Poly-poly man wrote:
I've given that question to comp.os.linux.n etworking, with not much
info. How do I write a driver, or a bridging app for windows?


This groups deals with the C++ language only. It cannot help you with
OS / Hardware specific questions.


Dec 19 '05 #7

Al-Burak wrote:
No, I don't think Poly-poly wants help regarding networks, but how to
go about writing a C++ program that will drive his Linux box's hardware
to communicate with the wireless network.


Since standard C++ knows nothing about driving specific bits of
hardware or wireless networks, such a question would be outside the
topic of comp.lang.c++. The first paragraph of this explains
topicality.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lit...t.html#faq-5.9

C++ language questions that come up while writing such a program are,
of course, relevant here (assuming they aren't answered already in the
FAQ).

Gavin Deane

Dec 19 '05 #8

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
1974
by: mch2k2 | last post by:
Hello All I have just started working on Pyhton. I need urgent help regarding Python Network Programming. I want the elctronic version of the Book: Foundations of Python Network programming by John Goerzen. If anybody among you have that please forward at my mailID. Thank you in advance. Manjeet Chaudhary
3
14874
by: Jay | last post by:
Hi, I implemeneted an FTP client and server long time back using Java. I found sockets porgramming in java quite useful and easy to handle. I now wanted to implement a similar program using C++. My questions are 1. How good a language is C++ for network programming? 2. what are good onine resources to learn C++ network programming? 3. How similar it is to Java socket programming? Thanks in advance.
6
2403
by: John Walton | last post by:
Hello, everyone. I just began school, and they already assigned us science fair. Since I'm in 8th grade, I get to do demonstrations for our projects. I'm probably going to demonstrate Python's networking capabilities by writing a simple instant messenger program. I only have a few problems: 1. I know squat about Python network Programming 2. I know nothing about networks
4
2152
by: Bri | last post by:
Hi, First let me explain the process I have going on, then I'll address the problems I'm having: 1) Insert records in a temp table using a query 2) Using a query that joins the temp table with TableA Insert records into TableB 3) Delete records from temp Table 4) Table specs; temp Table - 4 fields, 3 indexes, gets 100-4500 records inserted
4
1721
by: Wayne M J | last post by:
I have "Professional .Net Network Programming" and "Network Programming for MS Windows 2nd Ed", but I find both of these to be lacking in what I am looking for. Has there been any books printed on serious network programming for C# that deals with the IP Helper routines?
6
639
by: Eric | last post by:
Does anyone know of any GOOD network programming book(s) that are C# based, as well as any online tutorials and forums on network programming? Thanks
1
1134
by: dei1c3 | last post by:
I've written a simple web service and deployed it to a server on my local network. However, when I try to add a web reference to it in a VS2005 project on my dev machine, I am unable to. When I use the "Add Web Reference" dialog and enter the URL to the web service, I get a "The page cannot be displayed" error. I'm guessing it's one of two possibilities: 1) I'm using the wrong path. When developing and testing the web service on my...
9
2381
by: Mex | last post by:
Hi, I'm looking for a good book for beginners about Network Programming. Besides Stevens' book, I would like something specific for C++ language. Any suggestions? Thanks in advantage, Massimo
29
2423
by: Martin Schmied | last post by:
Dear folks I'm looking for good sites/material for this topic: Introduction to programming, using Javascript. So, not introduction to programming *in" Javascript. Well, I guess this would be in a way included anyway, but I would like to use Javascript/HTML/Browser as programming environment for pupils who have no idea of programming so far. Any tip would be much appreciated.
0
9978
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
9819
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
0
11222
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
0
10811
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
0
10461
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
1
8015
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
6041
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
4674
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
4270
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.