473,224 Members | 1,348 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,224 software developers and data experts.

What is the limit for memory a .NET process or AppDomain can use?

Hi,

What is the limit for memory that a .NET process or AppDomain can use?

Thank you,
Max

Jun 27 '08 #1
5 12575
Max2006 wrote:
What is the limit for memory that a .NET process or AppDomain can use?
For 32 bit Windows ther eis a limit of 2 (or 3 if so configured) GB
of virtual memory (which is what .NET sees).

For 64 bit Windows the limit may not be the sky, but it is high - higher
than what you can use.

Arne
Jun 27 '08 #2
Thank you Arne for help..

Could you refer me to msdn or online resource that explain this?

Thanks again,
Max
"Arne Vajhøj" <ar**@vajhoej.dkwrote in message
news:48***********************@news.sunsite.dk...
Max2006 wrote:
>What is the limit for memory that a .NET process or AppDomain can use?

For 32 bit Windows ther eis a limit of 2 (or 3 if so configured) GB
of virtual memory (which is what .NET sees).

For 64 bit Windows the limit may not be the sky, but it is high - higher
than what you can use.

Arne
Jun 27 '08 #3
Max2006 wrote:
Could you refer me to msdn or online resource that explain this?
Google finds links like:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tom/archive/20...processes.aspx
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=933856

Arne
Jun 27 '08 #4
Hi Max,

.Net AppDomain or Process does not have hard-coded memory limit in
principle. So the memory limit normally lies with the underlying OS memory
manager limitation. As Arne pointed out, the modern OS uses the virtual
memory management, so all the memory usage comes from the virtual memory
space instead of physical memory. For 32bit OS, 2^32 bytes(4GB) are
available to a process. However, since the OS kernel normally uses 2GB
virtual space. There are only 2GB left for the process user-mode code. So
we may believe that the memory limit for a .Net process/AppDomain is 2GB.

Can you tell me why you want to know of the memory limitation for .Net
process/AppDomain? In .Net world, the memory is abstracted as managed
objects. The .Net developers seldom touch or deal with memory directly
unless you are using unsafe code or p/invoke COM interop. Also, in the CLR,
the .Net GC is responsible for us to free the managed objects memory and
return to managed heap.

Do you allocate memory directly for native code? If we can understand your
purpose and problem context better, we may have a better solution. Thanks.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Community Support

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you. Please
feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
ms****@microsoft.com.
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jun 27 '08 #5
I agree with TAN, that there is no hardcoded memory limit, it depends on the
RAM size and the paging memory size.

--
Regards,
Mudassar Hassan
Software Engineer
http://mudassarhassan.spaces.live.com/
""Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]"" wrote:
Hi Max,

.Net AppDomain or Process does not have hard-coded memory limit in
principle. So the memory limit normally lies with the underlying OS memory
manager limitation. As Arne pointed out, the modern OS uses the virtual
memory management, so all the memory usage comes from the virtual memory
space instead of physical memory. For 32bit OS, 2^32 bytes(4GB) are
available to a process. However, since the OS kernel normally uses 2GB
virtual space. There are only 2GB left for the process user-mode code. So
we may believe that the memory limit for a .Net process/AppDomain is 2GB.

Can you tell me why you want to know of the memory limitation for .Net
process/AppDomain? In .Net world, the memory is abstracted as managed
objects. The .Net developers seldom touch or deal with memory directly
unless you are using unsafe code or p/invoke COM interop. Also, in the CLR,
the .Net GC is responsible for us to free the managed objects memory and
return to managed heap.

Do you allocate memory directly for native code? If we can understand your
purpose and problem context better, we may have a better solution. Thanks.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Community Support

Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you. Please
feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
ms****@microsoft.com.
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jun 27 '08 #6

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

2
by: Tony Van | last post by:
I think I know what it is-- objects not being set to nothing when the program is finished with them How can I tell if I have it? How can I code to avoid it? Thanks
0
by: ArBee | last post by:
I have seen this running on my Windows 2003 installation of DB2 Connect v8 EE. I have searched throughout IBM's site and get no hits. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it is for?
18
by: Ramasubbu Ramasubramanian XR (AS/EAB) | last post by:
What is memory leakage, could any one explain with sample code
5
by: bull | last post by:
hi could any one explain with example the following in a better way to understand 1. what is stack in memory, how the programs are stored in stack , what is the use of stack 2. What is heap in...
2
by: SMichal | last post by:
Hi, I'm starting from my application simple bat data...test.bat. This file (test.bat) should start another aplication app.exe. I'm starting the test.bat from my application with Start() method of...
2
by: Ajayshankar | last post by:
Hi what is memory padding in C ?
2
by: okonita | last post by:
Instance DB2 and database MYDB2 already exist. I want to add/catalog another database within the DB2 instance. What are the steps to do this? What information do I need to successfully complete this?...
1
by: michaelpyles | last post by:
IIS6 (x86) - Classic ASP application - I am downloading files via calls to BinaryWrite from a C++ COM component. The ASP DLL doesn't seem to do a good job limiting memory usage based on the...
2
by: aimthiaz | last post by:
memory management operators
1
by: FARAZ AZAM | last post by:
Actually I am working on the project for implementation of fingerprinting analysis I am able to read the headers and pixels data present and after putting algorithms for segmentation and edge...
0
by: veera ravala | last post by:
ServiceNow is a powerful cloud-based platform that offers a wide range of services to help organizations manage their workflows, operations, and IT services more efficiently. At its core, ServiceNow...
0
by: VivesProcSPL | last post by:
Obviously, one of the original purposes of SQL is to make data query processing easy. The language uses many English-like terms and syntax in an effort to make it easy to learn, particularly for...
3
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Jan 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). For other local times, please check World Time Buddy In...
0
by: jianzs | last post by:
Introduction Cloud-native applications are conventionally identified as those designed and nurtured on cloud infrastructure. Such applications, rooted in cloud technologies, skillfully benefit from...
0
by: mar23 | last post by:
Here's the situation. I have a form called frmDiceInventory with subform called subfrmDice. The subform's control source is linked to a query called qryDiceInventory. I've been trying to pick up the...
0
by: stefan129 | last post by:
Hey forum members, I'm exploring options for SSL certificates for multiple domains. Has anyone had experience with multi-domain SSL certificates? Any recommendations on reliable providers or specific...
0
Git
by: egorbl4 | last post by:
Скачал я git, хотел начать настройку, а там вылезло вот это Что это? Что мне с этим делать? ...
1
by: davi5007 | last post by:
Hi, Basically, I am trying to automate a field named TraceabilityNo into a web page from an access form. I've got the serial held in the variable strSearchString. How can I get this into the...
0
by: MeoLessi9 | last post by:
I have VirtualBox installed on Windows 11 and now I would like to install Kali on a virtual machine. However, on the official website, I see two options: "Installer images" and "Virtual machines"....

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.