By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
455,467 Members | 1,500 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 455,467 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

C#/Excel automation add-in not working on MediaCenter?

P: n/a
I have written a simple Excel automation add-in using c#. It works
fine on my WinXP PC, but does not work on my MediaCenter PC. The
sympton is that the add-in is shown in the add-in list but all the
functions are not available (i.e. when you open the function help
dialoug, these functions are not displayed, actually even the assembly
is not shown in the category.)

I have tried (1) recompile the code on the MediaCenter, (2) manually
register the code compiled on XP, (3) run a setup program created using
visual studio. None of them worked.

I guess there may be something specific on the MediaCenter machine or
some Excel configuration (e.g. security etc). But I just couldn't
figure it out. Any suggestions and recommendations, or even wildest
guess, are welcomed.

My environment: Visual Studio 2005, Excel 2003

Jan 27 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
BTW, I have also tried sign my assembly, didn't work either.

Jan 27 '07 #2

P: n/a
My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.

If you are using VSTO, make sure everything looks the same as your XP
machine.

I hope it helps.

--
Regards,
Robson Siqueira
Enterprise Architect
"My interest" <my********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>I have written a simple Excel automation add-in using c#. It works
fine on my WinXP PC, but does not work on my MediaCenter PC. The
sympton is that the add-in is shown in the add-in list but all the
functions are not available (i.e. when you open the function help
dialoug, these functions are not displayed, actually even the assembly
is not shown in the category.)

I have tried (1) recompile the code on the MediaCenter, (2) manually
register the code compiled on XP, (3) run a setup program created using
visual studio. None of them worked.

I guess there may be something specific on the MediaCenter machine or
some Excel configuration (e.g. security etc). But I just couldn't
figure it out. Any suggestions and recommendations, or even wildest
guess, are welcomed.

My environment: Visual Studio 2005, Excel 2003

Jan 27 '07 #3

P: n/a
Robson Siqueira wrote:
My interest,

I would rather point the fingers to the environment. Did you verify if all
support assemblies you are using - or COM objects - are properly installed
and have the same version as you have on the XP machine.

In fact, Media Center it's almost the same Windows (to not say the same) as
the XP. It only has the Media Center application added to the system. As
well as a notepad application.
I don't think that is the case entirely. There are other things added
to the system, typically by integrators such as dell. My system came
with way too many extra MCE add-ins. Those add-ins could potentially
introduce incompatibilities.

And of course, MCE comes with .NET framework.

Regards
Jan 28 '07 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.