By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,620 Members | 1,512 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,620 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Copy just what you see and not the full expanded view from the code window, to clipboard?

P: n/a
Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.

How do i copy just the collapsed portion as it looks in the IDE before
I copy it?

Thankyou,

Gary-

Dec 19 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
On 19 Dec 2006 03:45:17 -0800, ga********@myway.com wrote:
>Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.

How do i copy just the collapsed portion as it looks in the IDE before
I copy it?

Thankyou,

Gary-
I suspect the only way would be to take the first and last lines of
the text in the clipboard and merge them together somehow to create
what you want.

rossum

Dec 19 '06 #2

P: n/a
Wow I think this is really bad on MS's part.

I would think this would be a very basic requirement, but thanks for
letting me know I wasn't overlooking something simple.

rossum wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 03:45:17 -0800, ga********@myway.com wrote:
Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.

How do i copy just the collapsed portion as it looks in the IDE before
I copy it?

Thankyou,

Gary-
I suspect the only way would be to take the first and last lines of
the text in the clipboard and merge them together somehow to create
what you want.

rossum
Dec 19 '06 #3

P: n/a
Hi,
<ga********@myway.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@a3g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.
Of course, what do you expect to happens?
It's just like if you collapse a method and then copy & paste in the notepad
and you wanted to see it "collapse" , it will not going to happen.

It's only just because the IDE interprete what is written that it is capable
of doing such a magic.
Of course notepad has no idea about that.
--
Ignacio Machin
machin AT laceupsolutions com
Dec 19 '06 #4

P: n/a

It's not a limitation of Notepad but of VS.NET. It's certainly
possible for VS.NET to have an option to copy text as shown instead of
as expanded. I'm sure it's even possible to write a macro or add-in
to achive this.

Other apps provide this type of functionality--in Excel you can hide a
row and then choose to either copy the whole range or copy the visible
rows. Same idea.

Sam

------------------------------------------------------------
We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking Mid/Sr. .NET
Developers for exciting positions in medical product
development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:31:25 -0500, "Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP
\)" <machin TA laceupsolutions.comwrote:
>Hi,
<ga********@myway.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@a3g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.

Of course, what do you expect to happens?
It's just like if you collapse a method and then copy & paste in the notepad
and you wanted to see it "collapse" , it will not going to happen.

It's only just because the IDE interprete what is written that it is capable
of doing such a magic.
Of course notepad has no idea about that.
Dec 19 '06 #5

P: n/a
Sam,

That's exactly the point of view I was looking at this at, which is why
I thought it was a pretty basic feature omitted from the IDE.

Thanks for making me still feel sane!

Gary-

Samuel R. Neff wrote:
It's not a limitation of Notepad but of VS.NET. It's certainly
possible for VS.NET to have an option to copy text as shown instead of
as expanded. I'm sure it's even possible to write a macro or add-in
to achive this.

Other apps provide this type of functionality--in Excel you can hide a
row and then choose to either copy the whole range or copy the visible
rows. Same idea.

Sam

------------------------------------------------------------
We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking Mid/Sr. .NET
Developers for exciting positions in medical product
development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:31:25 -0500, "Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP
\)" <machin TA laceupsolutions.comwrote:
Hi,
<ga********@myway.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@a3g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.

If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
pasted.
Of course, what do you expect to happens?
It's just like if you collapse a method and then copy & paste in the notepad
and you wanted to see it "collapse" , it will not going to happen.

It's only just because the IDE interprete what is written that it is capable
of doing such a magic.
Of course notepad has no idea about that.
Dec 19 '06 #6

P: n/a
Today I found a kind of workaround for this problem I posted some time
ago.

While printing I noted there is an option to 'hide collapsed regions',
couple that with a print to file, and CTRL V, - and you have a kind of
awkward way of copying just the expanded view into the clipboard!

Gary-

ga********@myway.com wrote:
Sam,

That's exactly the point of view I was looking at this at, which is why
I thought it was a pretty basic feature omitted from the IDE.

Thanks for making me still feel sane!

Gary-

Samuel R. Neff wrote:
It's not a limitation of Notepad but of VS.NET. It's certainly
possible for VS.NET to have an option to copy text as shown instead of
as expanded. I'm sure it's even possible to write a macro or add-in
to achive this.

Other apps provide this type of functionality--in Excel you can hide a
row and then choose to either copy the whole range or copy the visible
rows. Same idea.

Sam

------------------------------------------------------------
We're hiring! B-Line Medical is seeking Mid/Sr. .NET
Developers for exciting positions in medical product
development in MD/DC. Work with a variety of technologies
in a relaxed team environment. See ads on Dice.com.
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:31:25 -0500, "Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP
\)" <machin TA laceupsolutions.comwrote:
>Hi,
>
>
><ga********@myway.comwrote in message
>news:11**********************@a3g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
>Hi I would like to know if it's possible to copy just the collapsed
>view vissible from the IDE to the clipboard.
>>
>If i have collapsed code, and then highlight it and copy it - and then
>paste this into notepad for example, the full expanded code listing is
>pasted.
>
>Of course, what do you expect to happens?
>It's just like if you collapse a method and then copy & paste in the notepad
>and you wanted to see it "collapse" , it will not going to happen.
>
>It's only just because the IDE interprete what is written that it is capable
>of doing such a magic.
>Of course notepad has no idea about that.
Jan 5 '07 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.