469,927 Members | 2,036 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,927 developers. It's quick & easy.

XAML - System Requirements

GVN
Hi All,
I would like to write a .NET application which uses XAML. The following
is my system's specification:

Operating System : Windows XP

..NET Framework : 1.1

RAM : 512 MB

HardDisk : 80 GB

Visual Studio : 2003

My question is whether can I use XAML with the above mentioned
specifications or not. Please suggest.
Thanks,

GVN.

Oct 8 '06 #1
7 2033

"GVN" <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
| Hi All,
|
|
| I would like to write a .NET application which uses XAML. The following
| is my system's specification:
|
| Operating System : Windows XP
|
| .NET Framework : 1.1
|
| RAM : 512 MB
|
| HardDisk : 80 GB
|
| Visual Studio : 2003
|
| My question is whether can I use XAML with the above mentioned
| specifications or not. Please suggest.
|
|
| Thanks,
|
| GVN.
|

This is not the appropriate NG to discuss XAML, you should post to the
"Avalon" forum
at:http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...D=119&SiteID=1
This aside, your system is not suitable for this kind of development. XAML
is part of the upomming V3 Framework, you are still at v1.1, so first of all
you'll have to install V2 followed by the beta of V3. Next, VS2003 can't be
used for XAML (and WPF), you need VS2005 with the beta of the "Orcas" tools
add-on. If you can't afford VS2005, your only option is to download/install
the latest SDK, and start using that come with it.
Start by reading the following URL and go on by downloading all the stuff
that is listed at the bottom. Keep in mind that you also need XP SP2.
Willy.
Oct 8 '06 #2
GVN <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote:
I would like to write a .NET application which uses XAML. The following
is my system's specification:

Operating System : Windows XP

.NET Framework : 1.1

RAM : 512 MB

HardDisk : 80 GB

Visual Studio : 2003

My question is whether can I use XAML with the above mentioned
specifications or not. Please suggest.
"True" XAML requires .NET 2.0 (well, 3.0 really - XAML is part of .NET
3.0) and thus Visual Studio 2005 (in one of its many guises).

Any reason you can't download Visual C# Express so you can use .NET
2.0?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Oct 8 '06 #3
GVN
Thanks a lot Mr. Jon. I heard something like MyXaml. It appears
something similar to MS XAML. In many of the articles I read MS
opossing MyXaml. I don't know how far it is feasible for a developer to
use MyXaml. I have a legacy application, in which I use a lot of custom
controls. If MyXaml is feasible, Can I implement my custom controls
using MyXaml?

Thanks in advance,

GVN.

Jon wrote:
GVN <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote:
I would like to write a .NET application which uses XAML. The following
is my system's specification:

Operating System : Windows XP

.NET Framework : 1.1

RAM : 512 MB

HardDisk : 80 GB

Visual Studio : 2003

My question is whether can I use XAML with the above mentioned
specifications or not. Please suggest.

"True" XAML requires .NET 2.0 (well, 3.0 really - XAML is part of .NET
3.0) and thus Visual Studio 2005 (in one of its many guises).

Any reason you can't download Visual C# Express so you can use .NET
2.0?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Oct 9 '06 #4
GVN <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote:
Thanks a lot Mr. Jon. I heard something like MyXaml. It appears
something similar to MS XAML. In many of the articles I read MS
opossing MyXaml. I don't know how far it is feasible for a developer to
use MyXaml. I have a legacy application, in which I use a lot of custom
controls. If MyXaml is feasible, Can I implement my custom controls
using MyXaml?
I don't know, I'm afraid - you'd have to look at the MyXaml docs.
However, I don't think it's a great idea - because XAML has been
changing form quite a lot, it's unlikely that MyXaml will end up being
absolutely the same in terms of syntax. That could easily confuse you
when you later move to use "real" XAML.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Oct 9 '06 #5
GVN
Oh! So, its better to follow XAML rather than MyXaml. Thanks for your
kind advice. Can I use XAML to implement my custom controls? If so, can
you please suggest me a good URL where I can find relevant
information...

Thanks in advance,

GVN.

Jon wrote:
GVN <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote:
Thanks a lot Mr. Jon. I heard something like MyXaml. It appears
something similar to MS XAML. In many of the articles I read MS
opossing MyXaml. I don't know how far it is feasible for a developer to
use MyXaml. I have a legacy application, in which I use a lot of custom
controls. If MyXaml is feasible, Can I implement my custom controls
using MyXaml?

I don't know, I'm afraid - you'd have to look at the MyXaml docs.
However, I don't think it's a great idea - because XAML has been
changing form quite a lot, it's unlikely that MyXaml will end up being
absolutely the same in terms of syntax. That could easily confuse you
when you later move to use "real" XAML.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Oct 9 '06 #6

"GVN" <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
| Oh! So, its better to follow XAML rather than MyXaml. Thanks for your
| kind advice. Can I use XAML to implement my custom controls? If so, can
| you please suggest me a good URL where I can find relevant
| information...
|
|

Before you can start with XAML which is part of the V3 Framework you need to
download a bunch of stuff, and as I said you need to run XP SP2 or Windows
Vista.
To start with, you'll have to download and install the V2 Frameworkand
VS2005 Express edition. When done you need to install the V3 Framework from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

plus the Orcas extensions for VS2005, supplementary you can download and
install the SDK (see bottom of the page at the above URL).

Willy.
Oct 9 '06 #7
GVN
Thank you Willy.
As my project specifications do not include VS2005, what I learnt is
that I can not use XAML. Now I want to use XML and write a parser as
per my project specifications. For designing an XML, I need some
guidelines. I observed writing XML file in two different formats (if
anyother such types are there, please do explain):

1. <element>
<ColorRed </Color>
<ShapeTriangle </Shape>
<Sides3 </Sides>
</element>

2. <element Color="Red" Shape="Triangle" Sides="3"</element>

I don't know exactly when where the above two are applicable. Can you
please help me?

Thanks in advance,
GVN.

Willy Denoyette [MVP] wrote:
"GVN" <mu***********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
| Oh! So, its better to follow XAML rather than MyXaml. Thanks for your
| kind advice. Can I use XAML to implement my custom controls? If so, can
| you please suggest me a good URL where I can find relevant
| information...
|
|

Before you can start with XAML which is part of the V3 Framework you need to
download a bunch of stuff, and as I said you need to run XP SP2 or Windows
Vista.
To start with, you'll have to download and install the V2 Frameworkand
VS2005 Express edition. When done you need to install the V3 Framework from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

plus the Orcas extensions for VS2005, supplementary you can download and
install the SDK (see bottom of the page at the above URL).

Willy.
Oct 20 '06 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by Thilaka | last post: by
13 posts views Thread by Jeff | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Brent | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by GaryDean | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by moondaddy | last post: by
reply views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?WmlnZ3lTaG9ydA==?= | last post: by
1 post views Thread by DeanB | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.