471,079 Members | 993 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,079 software developers and data experts.

New C# Developers Group

Hi Y'all,

There is a new community for C# developers@
http://groups.msn.com/IndiaCSharpDevelopersGroup

This is a forum for C# Developers and those who wish to become C#
Developers. Just about any topic is allowed, as long as it's in C#.
Think Sharp. C#.

Note: I didn't mean to advertise but i request everyone's participation and
sharing of knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much.
Nov 17 '05 #1
17 1279
Balaji K <ba*************@hotmail.com> wrote:
There is a new community for C# developers@
http://groups.msn.com/IndiaCSharpDevelopersGroup

This is a forum for C# Developers and those who wish to become C#
Developers. Just about any topic is allowed, as long as it's in C#.
Think Sharp. C#.
So, what's the benefit of using that over using this newsgroup?
Note: I didn't mean to advertise but i request everyone's participation and
sharing of knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much.


If you didn't mean to advertise, why are you doing so?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #2
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Balaji K <ba*************@hotmail.com> wrote:
There is a new community for C# developers@
http://groups.msn.com/IndiaCSharpDevelopersGroup

This is a forum for C# Developers and those who wish to become C#
Developers. Just about any topic is allowed, as long as it's in C#.
Think Sharp. C#.
So, what's the benefit of using that over using this newsgroup?


I am not mentioning that the new group is an alternative to the MS
newgroups. I think the new group can co-exist with this newsgroup and many
other numerous communities elsewhere. Moreover, MS advocates the spawning of
usergroups and this new group is meant to be an Usergroup eventually.
Note: I didn't mean to advertise but i request everyone's participation and
sharing of knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much.
If you didn't mean to advertise, why are you doing so?


It was not meant to be an advertisement. It was meant to be an observation.
Why did i post here? So, that developers and MVPs like you can know about the
existence of the community that i've started and share their expertise and
knowledge with the members of the new community. I sincerely hope and request
the presence of you and other MVPs, in the fledgling c# developers group.
Thanks very much.
--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Nov 17 '05 #3
what is your motivation for creating another group? Why do you need to
create another group? Imho, I can't really see the point, especially
when this ng has such a high level of activity...

cheers,

Nick

Nov 17 '05 #4
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
So, what's the benefit of using that over using this newsgroup?
I am not mentioning that the new group is an alternative to the MS
newgroups. I think the new group can co-exist with this newsgroup and many
other numerous communities elsewhere. Moreover, MS advocates the spawning of
usergroups and this new group is meant to be an Usergroup eventually.


Personally I don't see much benefit in having several disparate groups,
unless there's a particular distinguishing factor, such as a different
language.
Note: I didn't mean to advertise but i request everyone's participation and
sharing of knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much.


If you didn't mean to advertise, why are you doing so?


It was not meant to be an advertisement. It was meant to be an observation.


You request everyone's participation, and that's somehow *not* an
advertisement?
Why did i post here? So, that developers and MVPs like you can know about the
existence of the community that i've started and share their expertise and
knowledge with the members of the new community. I sincerely hope and request
the presence of you and other MVPs, in the fledgling c# developers group.


No thanks, I'd rather stick with one thriving community.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #5
Hi Nick!

No doubt that this newsgroup is amazing. But one still can't deny or prevent
the existence of other communities devoted to .net and C# in particular. For
that matter, one does not need to go beyond MSDN for info about MS
technologies. But still there are numerous websites devoted to these
technologies. Similarly, i'm sure that my community has its own space. I am
based in India and there are several .net user groups in various cities. Some
of them are vibrant and others are dull. But there is no single usergroup
existing in my country for C#. Not in my knowledge. So, i started this to
fill this void and out of love for .net and C# in particular. And i am glad
to say that there are close to 100 members in less than 2 days of the
community's existence.

Thanks for the response. Hope to see you in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Balaji K.

"Nick Weekes" wrote:
what is your motivation for creating another group? Why do you need to
create another group? Imho, I can't really see the point, especially
when this ng has such a high level of activity...

cheers,

Nick

Nov 17 '05 #6
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
So, what's the benefit of using that over using this newsgroup?


I am not mentioning that the new group is an alternative to the MS
newgroups. I think the new group can co-exist with this newsgroup and many
other numerous communities elsewhere. Moreover, MS advocates the spawning of
usergroups and this new group is meant to be an Usergroup eventually.


Personally I don't see much benefit in having several disparate groups,
unless there's a particular distinguishing factor, such as a different
language.
> Note: I didn't mean to advertise but i request everyone's participation and
> sharing of knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much.

If you didn't mean to advertise, why are you doing so?


It was not meant to be an advertisement. It was meant to be an observation.


You request everyone's participation, and that's somehow *not* an
advertisement?
Why did i post here? So, that developers and MVPs like you can know about the
existence of the community that i've started and share their expertise and
knowledge with the members of the new community. I sincerely hope and request
the presence of you and other MVPs, in the fledgling c# developers group.


No thanks, I'd rather stick with one thriving community.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too


Cool. Thanks.
Nov 17 '05 #7
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
No doubt that this newsgroup is amazing. But one still can't deny or prevent
the existence of other communities devoted to .net and C# in particular.
I'm not trying to prevent it - just saying that I think it's a bad idea
to start loads of different groups up for no good reason. I find that
if I have a question, it helps to be able to search in just a *few*
places for answers, rather than all over the place. I would much rather
see one large community than twenty identical smaller ones.

Of course, if those twenty smaller communities were serving different
needs, that would be a different matter - but you haven't really shown
anything to distinguish between this group and your one (other than
yours being web/mail-based rather than an NNTP newsgroup, which puts me
off to start with).
For that matter, one does not need to go beyond MSDN for info about MS
technologies. But still there are numerous websites devoted to these
technologies. Similarly, i'm sure that my community has its own space. I am
based in India and there are several .net user groups in various cities. Some
of them are vibrant and others are dull. But there is no single usergroup
existing in my country for C#. Not in my knowledge. So, i started this to
fill this void and out of love for .net and C# in particular.


Ah, so it's for a particular country. So, what difference does that
make in terms of the group? If it's for India, why would I (as a UK
developer) want to join it? What advantage would it give me over
posting here?

Bear in mind that I only have a limited amount of time in which to post
to groups - what's the advantage of joining your group rather than only
posting here?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #8
I think I see your reasoning, for more community based Usergroup (maybe
events etc?) rather than a question/answer based Newsgroup.

Well, I hope it goes well.

Cheers,

Nick

Nov 17 '05 #9
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
No doubt that this newsgroup is amazing. But one still can't deny or prevent
the existence of other communities devoted to .net and C# in particular.


I'm not trying to prevent it - just saying that I think it's a bad idea
to start loads of different groups up for no good reason. I find that
if I have a question, it helps to be able to search in just a *few*
places for answers, rather than all over the place. I would much rather
see one large community than twenty identical smaller ones.

Of course, if those twenty smaller communities were serving different
needs, that would be a different matter - but you haven't really shown
anything to distinguish between this group and your one (other than
yours being web/mail-based rather than an NNTP newsgroup, which puts me
off to start with).

For that matter, one does not need to go beyond MSDN for info about MS
technologies. But still there are numerous websites devoted to these
technologies. Similarly, i'm sure that my community has its own space. I am
based in India and there are several .net user groups in various cities. Some
of them are vibrant and others are dull. But there is no single usergroup
existing in my country for C#. Not in my knowledge. So, i started this to
fill this void and out of love for .net and C# in particular.


Ah, so it's for a particular country. So, what difference does that
make in terms of the group? If it's for India, why would I (as a UK
developer) want to join it? What advantage would it give me over
posting here?

Bear in mind that I only have a limited amount of time in which to post
to groups - what's the advantage of joining your group rather than only
posting here?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too


I didn't say that you were preventing it. I posted about it here and whoever
finds it suitable and beneficial can join the group. It would be extremely
difficult for me to convince each and everyone.

I said i am based in India but the group is open to all. In the internet
world, the world has reduced into a microcosm. The goegraphy comes into
picture only in case of user group offline meetings for which there are no
plans yet. So, the geographical location has nothing to do with participation
in the community. You might not have any particular benefits but you are an
MVP and a lot of us lesser mortals can benefit from your knowledge.

Thanks,
Balaji K.
Nov 17 '05 #10
Nick Weekes <ni***********@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
I think I see your reasoning, for more community based Usergroup (maybe
events etc?) rather than a question/answer based Newsgroup.


If that were the case, that would be fine - different communities
filling different roles is great. I just can't see the point of having
several different communities with the same role, and the OP hasn't
actually pointed out what the differences in role between his group and
this one are.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #11
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
I said i am based in India but the group is open to all. In the internet
world, the world has reduced into a microcosm. The goegraphy comes into
picture only in case of user group offline meetings for which there are no
plans yet. So, the geographical location has nothing to do with participation
in the community.


In that case, could I ask what you meant when you said that the new
group would be filling a void? What need is it meeting that this
newsgroup doesn't meet?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #12
Well yes, it is a community based usergroup. It also serves as a Q & A forum.
Thanks for the wishes Nick.

"Nick Weekes" wrote:
I think I see your reasoning, for more community based Usergroup (maybe
events etc?) rather than a question/answer based Newsgroup.

Well, I hope it goes well.

Cheers,

Nick

Nov 17 '05 #13
Jon, each one has its own purpose. We certainly don't get contended with
reading one book on a particular subject. We might learn something from each
source. Isn't that the purpose of writing and reading different books? We
have newsgroups for all MS techonlogies here. Then, why is there a huge forum
in MSDN, another one in asp.net, not to mention several other forums?

The C# developer group is similar to any .net related newsgroup, except
that, based on the growth, there might be user events in the future. But that
doesn't prevent anyone from anywhere to share knowledge.

My group is aspiring to be a good usergroup defined by Microsoft techinical
communities and INETA.

Thanks,
Balaji K.

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Nick Weekes <ni***********@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
I think I see your reasoning, for more community based Usergroup (maybe
events etc?) rather than a question/answer based Newsgroup.


If that were the case, that would be fine - different communities
filling different roles is great. I just can't see the point of having
several different communities with the same role, and the OP hasn't
actually pointed out what the differences in role between his group and
this one are.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Nov 17 '05 #14
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Jon, each one has its own purpose. We certainly don't get contended with
reading one book on a particular subject. We might learn something from each
source. Isn't that the purpose of writing and reading different books? We
have newsgroups for all MS techonlogies here. Then, why is there a huge forum
in MSDN, another one in asp.net, not to mention several other forums?
Yes - they all have different purposes though. What is appropriate for
one group often isn't appropriate for other groups though. That doesn't
sound like that's the case here. Could you give an example of something
which wouldn't be appropriate to post on this group but would be
appropriate to post on your group, or vice versa?
The C# developer group is similar to any .net related newsgroup, except
that, based on the growth, there might be user events in the future. But that
doesn't prevent anyone from anywhere to share knowledge.

My group is aspiring to be a good usergroup defined by Microsoft techinical
communities and INETA.


So at some point in the future there *might* be user events, and until
then there's nothing to distinguish it from this group? Sorry, I still
don't see why it's a good thing.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #15


"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Jon, each one has its own purpose. We certainly don't get contended with
reading one book on a particular subject. We might learn something from each
source. Isn't that the purpose of writing and reading different books? We
have newsgroups for all MS techonlogies here. Then, why is there a huge forum
in MSDN, another one in asp.net, not to mention several other forums?


Yes - they all have different purposes though. What is appropriate for
one group often isn't appropriate for other groups though. That doesn't
sound like that's the case here. Could you give an example of something
which wouldn't be appropriate to post on this group but would be
appropriate to post on your group, or vice versa?
The C# developer group is similar to any .net related newsgroup, except
that, based on the growth, there might be user events in the future. But that
doesn't prevent anyone from anywhere to share knowledge.

My group is aspiring to be a good usergroup defined by Microsoft techinical
communities and INETA.


So at some point in the future there *might* be user events, and until
then there's nothing to distinguish it from this group? Sorry, I still
don't see why it's a good thing.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Now, we can't have user events overnight, can we? Anyways, i see it as a
good thing and i also have the blessings of a developer evangelist from
Microsoft India. Thanks,
Balaji K.
Nov 17 '05 #16
Hi

I am not advocating more number of groups or saying more the
merrier, but i have faced a peculiar problem whenever i have posted a time
critical question, the answers are usually made by people from the other
side of my timezone (USA), i am from India, and would like to get the
answer within a few hours of my posting it, but i see most of the answers
the next day.
I am not sure how competent this new newgroup is in answering
question, i have my doubts.

Thanks
Barry

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <sk***@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:MP************************@msnews.microsoft.c om...
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
No doubt that this newsgroup is amazing. But one still can't deny or prevent the existence of other communities devoted to .net and C# in particular.


I'm not trying to prevent it - just saying that I think it's a bad idea
to start loads of different groups up for no good reason. I find that
if I have a question, it helps to be able to search in just a *few*
places for answers, rather than all over the place. I would much rather
see one large community than twenty identical smaller ones.

Of course, if those twenty smaller communities were serving different
needs, that would be a different matter - but you haven't really shown
anything to distinguish between this group and your one (other than
yours being web/mail-based rather than an NNTP newsgroup, which puts me
off to start with).
For that matter, one does not need to go beyond MSDN for info about MS
technologies. But still there are numerous websites devoted to these
technologies. Similarly, i'm sure that my community has its own space. I am based in India and there are several .net user groups in various cities. Some of them are vibrant and others are dull. But there is no single usergroup existing in my country for C#. Not in my knowledge. So, i started this to fill this void and out of love for .net and C# in particular.


Ah, so it's for a particular country. So, what difference does that
make in terms of the group? If it's for India, why would I (as a UK
developer) want to join it? What advantage would it give me over
posting here?

Bear in mind that I only have a limited amount of time in which to post
to groups - what's the advantage of joining your group rather than only
posting here?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Nov 17 '05 #17
Barry, i am not saying that the new group is the best or there are people in
the new community to answer all questions. It's hardly 10 days old and so far
the membership is close to 200. Only if people like you participate in this
community, it has a chance to grow. We can't be skeptical when something is
in a nascent stage. It is like a beta product. With time and with a lot of
people's inputs, i am sure the India C# developers group would grow from
strngth to strength. Only if more members actively participate in the
community, more questions would be asked, more questions would be answered.
More MVPs would join.

So, i once again invite you and other developers and MVPs to join the
community and give it a try. I don't think it hurts to give a try.

Thanks,
Balaji K.

"Barry" wrote:
Hi

I am not advocating more number of groups or saying more the
merrier, but i have faced a peculiar problem whenever i have posted a time
critical question, the answers are usually made by people from the other
side of my timezone (USA), i am from India, and would like to get the
answer within a few hours of my posting it, but i see most of the answers
the next day.
I am not sure how competent this new newgroup is in answering
question, i have my doubts.

Thanks
Barry

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <sk***@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:MP************************@msnews.microsoft.c om...
Balaji K <Ba*****@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
No doubt that this newsgroup is amazing. But one still can't deny or prevent the existence of other communities devoted to .net and C# in particular.


I'm not trying to prevent it - just saying that I think it's a bad idea
to start loads of different groups up for no good reason. I find that
if I have a question, it helps to be able to search in just a *few*
places for answers, rather than all over the place. I would much rather
see one large community than twenty identical smaller ones.

Of course, if those twenty smaller communities were serving different
needs, that would be a different matter - but you haven't really shown
anything to distinguish between this group and your one (other than
yours being web/mail-based rather than an NNTP newsgroup, which puts me
off to start with).
For that matter, one does not need to go beyond MSDN for info about MS
technologies. But still there are numerous websites devoted to these
technologies. Similarly, i'm sure that my community has its own space. I am based in India and there are several .net user groups in various cities. Some of them are vibrant and others are dull. But there is no single usergroup existing in my country for C#. Not in my knowledge. So, i started this to fill this void and out of love for .net and C# in particular.


Ah, so it's for a particular country. So, what difference does that
make in terms of the group? If it's for India, why would I (as a UK
developer) want to join it? What advantage would it give me over
posting here?

Bear in mind that I only have a limited amount of time in which to post
to groups - what's the advantage of joining your group rather than only
posting here?

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too


Nov 17 '05 #18

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

5 posts views Thread by larry | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Patrick | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Richard Lionheart | last post: by
reply views Thread by melledge | last post: by
reply views Thread by Double | last post: by
reply views Thread by Paul | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.