By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,823 Members | 730 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,823 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

I come from a Java background - so i have just one lame question :

P: n/a
DAn
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a C# version of a servlet, or of J2EE
equivalent.

If not how do i write in C# a small "servlet" that simply parses some HTML
code into text, that in turn interfaces with a database, does the .NET
platform support these operations, or is there a special version like J2EE ?

Thanks,
dan
Nov 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
I think you need to start looking at web services.

"DAn" wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a C# version of a servlet, or of J2EE
equivalent.

If not how do i write in C# a small "servlet" that simply parses some HTML
code into text, that in turn interfaces with a database, does the .NET
platform support these operations, or is there a special version like J2EE ?

Thanks,
dan

Nov 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
surely better is possible in .NET :)

U can use web services as previous post indicates. But my advice u to use
COM+ objects which supports transaction security etc...
Or u can use Web Service Enhancement(WSE), which has both's advantages...

--

Thanks,
Yunus Emre ALP÷ZEN
BSc, MCAD.NET

"DAn" <DA*@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95**********************************@microsof t.com...
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a C# version of a servlet, or of J2EE
equivalent.

If not how do i write in C# a small "servlet" that simply parses some HTML
code into text, that in turn interfaces with a database, does the .NET
platform support these operations, or is there a special version like J2EE
?

Thanks,
dan

Nov 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
Joe
asp.net is the .Net attempt of servlets, aka JSP pages.

But, even though I really love C# and .Net desktop winforms apps, if I have
to do web apps I stick to Java.

There is a namespace in .net; System.EnterpriseServices, That has some
transaction / queue (J2EE) stuff.
For object persistence you need to go non-ms at the moment, I use developers
express XPO objects. MS efforts in this are seemed to have been stalled,
but was known as 'object spaces'.

It really is a different world though - have fun learning / playing with
..net web stuff, but stick to java for paying clients.
"DAn" <DA*@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:95**********************************@microsof t.com...
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a C# version of a servlet, or of J2EE
equivalent.

If not how do i write in C# a small "servlet" that simply parses some HTML
code into text, that in turn interfaces with a database, does the .NET
platform support these operations, or is there a special version like J2EE
?

Thanks,
dan

Nov 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Joe <Jo*@microsoft.com> wrote:
asp.net is the .Net attempt of servlets, aka JSP pages.


There's a big difference between servlets and JSP pages. ASP.NET is
similar (in many ways) to JSPs, but servlets are a much lower level
construct, and don't assume that you're using HTML. (Heck, servlets
themselves don't even have to be HttpServlets, although most certainly
are.) There are various situations where you might want to use servlets
but the idea of a "page" isn't really appropriate - you can easily use
them for a primitive kind of web service, for example.

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything particularly close to bare
servlets in the .NET world, although I believe .NET 2.0 makes it
easier.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Joe <Jo*@microsoft.com> wrote:
asp.net is the .Net attempt of servlets, aka JSP pages.
There's a big difference between servlets and JSP pages. ASP.NET is
similar (in many ways) to JSPs, but servlets are a much lower level
construct, and don't assume that you're using HTML. (Heck, servlets
themselves don't even have to be HttpServlets, although most certainly
are.) There are various situations where you might want to use servlets
but the idea of a "page" isn't really appropriate - you can easily use
them for a primitive kind of web service, for example.

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything particularly close to bare
servlets in the .NET world, although I believe .NET 2.0 makes it
easier.


although in this case, you can implement a custom IHttpHandler that is the
equivalent of HttpServlet (I think, don't know much about java).
--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Nov 17 '05 #6

P: n/a
Daniel Jin <Da*******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Unfortunately I haven't seen anything particularly close to bare
servlets in the .NET world, although I believe .NET 2.0 makes it
easier.


although in this case, you can implement a custom IHttpHandler that is the
equivalent of HttpServlet (I think, don't know much about java).


Yes, I suspect that's about right - it's the kind of thing that's a bit
of a pain to set up, I suspect, as it's rarely done :(

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 17 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.