By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,983 Members | 1,582 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,983 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

To understand the "HTTP Module" technique

P: n/a
Having built successfully my first HTTP Module prototype (as for Q307996
- HOW TO: Create an ASP.NET HTTP Module ...) without really understanding
what I've done, now I kindly ask this community for support to try and master
this art; in the form of:
- either a reference to a serious book comprehensively describing the matter;
- or an answer to such a question as:
What does it exactly mean, in C# terms, to implement the "IHttModule
interface" and the "Init and Dispose methods"?
Looking forward...
P.M.
Nov 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
Init and dispose are called as the module is loaded and unloaded when the
asp.net pipeline through IIS gets executed, and the web request and response
are passed as traffic from the client browser, via IIS through the asp.net
isapi dll to the web page you are requesting. they can be used to add
output, or change the direction of a request for example.

Basically, a module that interferes with the processing of that pipeline is
what an ihttpmodule interface is........

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

"Studio P.M." <St******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:66**********************************@microsof t.com...
Having built successfully my first HTTP Module prototype (as for
Q307996
- HOW TO: Create an ASP.NET HTTP Module ...) without really understanding
what I've done, now I kindly ask this community for support to try and
master
this art; in the form of:
- either a reference to a serious book comprehensively describing the
matter;
- or an answer to such a question as:
What does it exactly mean, in C# terms, to implement the "IHttModule
interface" and the "Init and Dispose methods"?
Looking forward...
P.M.

Nov 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Dear Mr. Timney,
Thanks for your answer.

You said:
Basically ... interferes with the processing of the pipeline ...
Well, this is exactly the reason why I'd like to master this art of "HTTP
Module" writing, art that is still hidden to me. I mean:
what I'm looking for is a complete, comprehensive, detailed, practical
description of this whole subject. A paper, or book, giving answer to all
such questions as that one I had here exposed merely just as an example.
As far as you know: is there any?

If no such a paper, or book, does exist, I have no chance of success, unless
a "cognoscente" would play the role of tutor to my benefit...

Kind regards.
Pietro Moras

"John Timney (ASP.NET MVP)" wrote:
Init and dispose are called as the module is loaded and unloaded when the
asp.net pipeline through IIS gets executed, and the web request and response
are passed as traffic from the client browser, via IIS through the asp.net
isapi dll to the web page you are requesting. they can be used to add
output, or change the direction of a request for example.

Basically, a module that interferes with the processing of that pipeline is
what an ihttpmodule interface is........

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Nov 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
In case you haven't already seen it, this may be a good next step:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...p/default.aspx

"Studio P.M." <St******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:45**********************************@microsof t.com...
Dear Mr. Timney,
Thanks for your answer.

You said:
Basically ... interferes with the processing of the pipeline ...


Well, this is exactly the reason why I'd like to master this art of "HTTP
Module" writing, art that is still hidden to me. I mean:
what I'm looking for is a complete, comprehensive, detailed, practical
description of this whole subject. A paper, or book, giving answer to all
such questions as that one I had here exposed merely just as an example.
As far as you know: is there any?

If no such a paper, or book, does exist, I have no chance of success,
unless
a "cognoscente" would play the role of tutor to my benefit...

Kind regards.
Pietro Moras

"John Timney (ASP.NET MVP)" wrote:
Init and dispose are called as the module is loaded and unloaded when the
asp.net pipeline through IIS gets executed, and the web request and
response
are passed as traffic from the client browser, via IIS through the
asp.net
isapi dll to the web page you are requesting. they can be used to add
output, or change the direction of a request for example.

Basically, a module that interferes with the processing of that pipeline
is
what an ihttpmodule interface is........

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Nov 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
> ... a good next step
I agree, it is a good next step; not a full path.

I heard that:
C# Developer's Guide to ASP.NET, XML, and ADO.NET by Jeffrey P. McManus and
Chris Kinsman
Paperback - Addison-Wesley Professional; 29 March, 2002

has a Chapter 8 that: "discusses the HttpHandlers and HttpModules. The
discussion and examples of HttpModules are very good."
Do you know it?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Pietro Moras
- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=

"CSharper" wrote:
In case you haven't already seen it, this may be a good next step:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...p/default.aspx


Nov 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
Hi,
Gone through this reference you’d suggested (and some others too…), I’m
beginning to see the light. Probably there isn’t a single source of info
about this subject, and scrambling among different sources is the only way to
go.

By the way, to this respect, do you know anything about the SAMS’ book
“Microsoft Visual C# .NET 2003 Unleashed”?

All the best.
Pietro Moras
- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=- - - - -=

"CSharper" wrote:
In case you haven't already seen it, this may be a good next step:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...p/default.aspx


Nov 17 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.