473,391 Members | 1,438 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,391 software developers and data experts.

Loading data from Access table to datatable very slow!

VMI
For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records) from an
Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3 mins. to
complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the table. The
table "audit" primary key is "Line".
Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while it's
doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I don't
know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much memory or
CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm running
intensive queries from within Access.
/**** Code ****/
string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + sFileName;
//sFileName is mdb file
_connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
_oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
_oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
_oleCommand.Connection.Open();

string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by Line
asc";
OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];

The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their own
personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or MySQL,
we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it in 1 PC
because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With Access we
can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested the embedded
version of MySQL but every client may have several different files (MDBs),
so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.

Thanks for any help.
Nov 16 '05 #1
12 7526
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records) from
an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the
table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while it's
doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I don't
know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much memory
or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
running intensive queries from within Access.
/**** Code ****/
string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
_connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
_oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
_oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
_oleCommand.Connection.Open();

string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by Line
asc";
OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];

The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their own
personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it in
1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With
Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested the
embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 16 '05 #2
VM
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records) from
an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the
table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while it's doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I don't
know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much memory or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
running intensive queries from within Access.
/**** Code ****/
string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
_connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
_oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
_oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
_oleCommand.Connection.Open();

string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by Line
asc";
OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];

The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their own personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it in 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With
Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested the embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.

Thanks for any help.


Nov 16 '05 #3
Did you try the same query from within access itself - just to rule out the
engine bottleneck...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VM" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uW**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records)
> from
> an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
> mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the
> table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
> Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while it's > doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I
> don't
> know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much memory > or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
> running intensive queries from within Access.
> /**** Code ****/
> string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
> sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
> _connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
> _oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
> _oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
> _oleCommand.Connection.Open();
>
> string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by
> Line
> asc";
> OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
> DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
> adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
> return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];
>
> The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their own > personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
> MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it in > 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With
> Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested the > embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
> files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>



Nov 16 '05 #4
VMI
From Access, the query takes 19 seconds to execute (see results in table).
This same query, through the adapter.Fill() takes 1 min 54 secs and the PC
gets really slow to the point that I can't switch between Windows programs
with Alt-Tab.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uV**************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Did you try the same query from within access itself - just to rule out
the engine bottleneck...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VM" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uW**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's
of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records)
> from
> an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
> mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the
> table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
> Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while

it's
> doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I
> don't
> know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much

memory
> or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
> running intensive queries from within Access.
> /**** Code ****/
> string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
> sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
> _connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
> _oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
> _oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
> _oleCommand.Connection.Open();
>
> string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by
> Line
> asc";
> OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
> DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
> adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
> return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];
>
> The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their

own
> personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
> MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it

in
> 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With
> Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested

the
> embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
> files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>



Nov 16 '05 #5
VMI
Also, even after the dataset's filled up, Windows remains very slow, as if
the dataset's using up tons of memory. But when I check the task manager,
my application is only using up 20MB of memory (more or less what iexplore
uses).
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uV**************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Did you try the same query from within access itself - just to rule out
the engine bottleneck...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VM" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uW**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's
of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records)
> from
> an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
> mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query the
> table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
> Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while

it's
> doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I
> don't
> know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much

memory
> or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
> running intensive queries from within Access.
> /**** Code ****/
> string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
> sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
> _connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
> _oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
> _oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
> _oleCommand.Connection.Open();
>
> string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by
> Line
> asc";
> OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
> DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
> adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
> return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];
>
> The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their

own
> personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
> MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install it

in
> 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network). With
> Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested

the
> embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
> files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>



Nov 16 '05 #6
Access "cheats" on results. :-)
Try scrolling to the last record.
Did you look at task manager on how much memory is available?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ut**************@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
From Access, the query takes 19 seconds to execute (see results in table).
This same query, through the adapter.Fill() takes 1 min 54 secs and the
PC gets really slow to the point that I can't switch between Windows
programs with Alt-Tab.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uV**************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Did you try the same query from within access itself - just to rule out
the engine bottleneck...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VM" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uW**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's
of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database in
Access?


"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records)
> from
> an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over 3
> mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query
> the
> table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
> Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while
it's
> doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I
> don't
> know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much
memory
> or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
> running intensive queries from within Access.
> /**** Code ****/
> string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
> sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
> _connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
> _oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
> _oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
> _oleCommand.Connection.Open();
>
> string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by
> Line
> asc";
> OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery, _connection);
> DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
> adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
> return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];
>
> The reason we're using Access is because every client must have their
own
> personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
> MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install
> it
in
> 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network).
> With
> Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone suggested
the
> embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several different
> files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>



Nov 16 '05 #7
VMI
in Access, I don't need to scroll down too much to the last record because
most of the records are visible ; the query asks for the top 20 records
(from 300k+ records). The query is : "select top 20 * from audit where Line
0 order by Line asc". When I do, I don't see a change in speed. Before the dataset.Fill(), the task manager displays the commit charge iof
383000K/755985K and CPU usage is 4%. During the fill, the CPU usage
fluctuates from 15% to 80%, but it usually stays at 20-25%. The commit
charge increases, but it's not significant (399000K/755985K).
The problem occurs when I query an Access table that has many records (in my
case, 300K records). And I don't know why the PC slows down so dramatically
(in addition to the query taking 2 mins. to complete) because all its
resources are there. Could the problem be with the data adapter?

You have any suggestions?

Thanks.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:ed**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... Access "cheats" on results. :-)
Try scrolling to the last record.
Did you look at task manager on how much memory is available?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ut**************@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
From Access, the query takes 19 seconds to execute (see results in
table). This same query, through the adapter.Fill() takes 1 min 54 secs
and the PC gets really slow to the point that I can't switch between
Windows programs with Alt-Tab.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uV**************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Did you try the same query from within access itself - just to rule out
the engine bottleneck...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VM" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uW**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. It wasn't there when I created it, but I added it afterwards. It's
of
type "Number".
Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thanks.

"Mel Weaver" <Mel@[remove spam]insdirect.com> wrote in message
news:ui*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Are you sure there is an index on Line when you created the database
> in
> Access?
>
>
>
>
> "VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eu**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > For some reason, the process of retrieving data (about 20 records)
> > from
> > an Access table that has 400K records to a dataTable is taking over
> > 3
> > mins. to complete. Below is my code to connect to the DB and query
> > the
> > table. The table "audit" primary key is "Line".
> > Another weird thing (but I guess that's another post) is that, while
it's
> > doing the dataset Fill, my PC is slowed done substantially. But I
> > don't
> > know why that would happen since the process is not consuming much
memory
> > or CPU. This must be an Access flaw because it also happens if I'm
> > running intensive queries from within Access.
> > /**** Code ****/
> > string strDSN = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" +
> > sFileName; //sFileName is mdb file
> > _connection = new OleDbConnection(strDSN);
> > _oleCommand = new OleDbCommand();
> > _oleCommand.Connection = _connection;
> > _oleCommand.Connection.Open();
> >
> > string sQuery = "select top 20 * from audit where Line > 0 order by
> > Line
> > asc";
> > OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new OleDbDataAdapter(sQuery,
> > _connection);
> > DataSet DS_Audit = new DataSet();
> > adapter.Fill(DS_Audit, "audit"); //this is taking 3 minutes
> > return DS_Audit.Tables["audit"];
> >
> > The reason we're using Access is because every client must have
> > their
own
> > personal DB to store the data. If we use server DBs such as MSDE or
> > MySQL, we will need to install the DB in every PC (we can't install
> > it
in
> > 1 PC because we can't assume that the clients are in a network).
> > With
> > Access we can create the mdb from our application. Someone
> > suggested
the
> > embedded version of MySQL but every client may have several
> > different
> > files (MDBs), so I'm not sure if that would complicate things.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
>
>



Nov 16 '05 #8

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ux**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
in Access, I don't need to scroll down too much to the last record because
most of the records are visible ; the query asks for the top 20 records
(from 300k+ records). The query is : "select top 20 * from audit where
Line
0 order by Line asc". When I do, I don't see a change in speed.

Before the dataset.Fill(), the task manager displays the commit charge iof
383000K/755985K and CPU usage is 4%. During the fill, the CPU usage
fluctuates from 15% to 80%, but it usually stays at 20-25%. The commit
charge increases, but it's not significant (399000K/755985K).
The problem occurs when I query an Access table that has many records (in
my case, 300K records). And I don't know why the PC slows down so
dramatically (in addition to the query taking 2 mins. to complete) because
all its resources are there. Could the problem be with the data adapter?


No, dataadapter is fine - it is using OleDb to fetch the data.
It could be something wrong with OleDb perhaps.
Can you try same situation on another computer?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com
Nov 16 '05 #9
VMI
Yes. i ran it in two client PCs (with only the framework installed) and
we're having the same problem.

Thanks.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uq*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ux**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
in Access, I don't need to scroll down too much to the last record
because most of the records are visible ; the query asks for the top 20
records (from 300k+ records). The query is : "select top 20 * from audit
where Line
> 0 order by Line asc". When I do, I don't see a change in speed.

Before the dataset.Fill(), the task manager displays the commit charge
iof 383000K/755985K and CPU usage is 4%. During the fill, the CPU usage
fluctuates from 15% to 80%, but it usually stays at 20-25%. The commit
charge increases, but it's not significant (399000K/755985K).
The problem occurs when I query an Access table that has many records (in
my case, 300K records). And I don't know why the PC slows down so
dramatically (in addition to the query taking 2 mins. to complete)
because all its resources are there. Could the problem be with the data
adapter?


No, dataadapter is fine - it is using OleDb to fetch the data.
It could be something wrong with OleDb perhaps.
Can you try same situation on another computer?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

Nov 16 '05 #10
If you want you can send me sample that reproduces the problem.
How big is the zipped database?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ev**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. i ran it in two client PCs (with only the framework installed) and
we're having the same problem.

Thanks.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uq*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ux**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
in Access, I don't need to scroll down too much to the last record
because most of the records are visible ; the query asks for the top 20
records (from 300k+ records). The query is : "select top 20 * from audit
where Line
> 0 order by Line asc". When I do, I don't see a change in speed.
Before the dataset.Fill(), the task manager displays the commit charge
iof 383000K/755985K and CPU usage is 4%. During the fill, the CPU usage
fluctuates from 15% to 80%, but it usually stays at 20-25%. The commit
charge increases, but it's not significant (399000K/755985K).
The problem occurs when I query an Access table that has many records
(in my case, 300K records). And I don't know why the PC slows down so
dramatically (in addition to the query taking 2 mins. to complete)
because all its resources are there. Could the problem be with the data
adapter?


No, dataadapter is fine - it is using OleDb to fetch the data.
It could be something wrong with OleDb perhaps.
Can you try same situation on another computer?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com


Nov 16 '05 #11
VMI
216 megabytes, and I have dial-up.
The problem should happen with any table that contains many records. What do
you mean when you say there's a problem with the OleDB?

"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
If you want you can send me sample that reproduces the problem.
How big is the zipped database?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ev**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Yes. i ran it in two client PCs (with only the framework installed) and
we're having the same problem.

Thanks.
"Miha Markic [MVP C#]" <miha at rthand com> wrote in message
news:uq*************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ux**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
in Access, I don't need to scroll down too much to the last record
because most of the records are visible ; the query asks for the top 20
records (from 300k+ records). The query is : "select top 20 * from
audit where Line
> 0 order by Line asc". When I do, I don't see a change in speed.
Before the dataset.Fill(), the task manager displays the commit charge
iof 383000K/755985K and CPU usage is 4%. During the fill, the CPU
usage fluctuates from 15% to 80%, but it usually stays at 20-25%. The
commit charge increases, but it's not significant (399000K/755985K).
The problem occurs when I query an Access table that has many records
(in my case, 300K records). And I don't know why the PC slows down so
dramatically (in addition to the query taking 2 mins. to complete)
because all its resources are there. Could the problem be with the data
adapter?

No, dataadapter is fine - it is using OleDb to fetch the data.
It could be something wrong with OleDb perhaps.
Can you try same situation on another computer?

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com



Nov 16 '05 #12

"VMI" <vo******@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ef**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
216 megabytes, and I have dial-up.
The problem should happen with any table that contains many records. What
do you mean when you say there's a problem with the OleDB?


OleDbAdapter just invokes OleDb calls...

--
Miha Markic [MVP C#] - RightHand .NET consulting & development
SLODUG - Slovene Developer Users Group
www.rthand.com
Nov 16 '05 #13

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

0
by: VM | last post by:
If I wanted to load an ascii file (which contains 400,000+ lines and each line is a table row) to a datatable and then display it to a datagrid, what would the best approach be? I initially had a...
1
by: kids_pro | last post by:
I had come across a code block from Loading a DataSet from XML (.NET Framework Developer's Guide) ---------------------------------------- NOte If you call ReadXML to load a very large file, you...
9
by: VMI | last post by:
We have this huge application that's based on storing tons of data on a dataTable. The only problem we're having is that storing LOTS of data (1 million records) into a datatable will slow down the...
5
by: John Richardson | last post by:
I've been bothered for some time about my DataGrid not populating my rows very quickly. I have about 10K rows loading into the grid. I create a datatable dt with 2 columns, an ID and a display. ...
6
by: Reggie | last post by:
Hi and TIA. I have an OleDB connection to an Access db which I connect to and place data from a table into a recordset. What I want to do is copy this recordset to an SQL table. I have no...
3
by: P K | last post by:
Hello, I have a dataset which is already loaded with data in one table. so dataset.tables("data") exists and has data. Now, I have to add another table to the dataset. The source for this...
9
by: Anil Gupte | last post by:
After reading a tutorial and fiddling, I finally got this to work. I can now put two tables created with a DataTable class into a DataRelation. Phew! And it works! Dim tblSliceInfo As New...
6
Cintury
by: Cintury | last post by:
Hi all, I've developed a mobile application for windows mobile 5.0 that has been in use for a while (1 year and a couple of months). It was developed in visual studios 2005 with a back-end sql...
6
by: insirawali | last post by:
Hi all, I have this problem, i need to know is there a way i cn use the data adapter's update method in this scenario. i have 3 tables as below create table table1{ id1 int identity(1,1)...
0
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
0
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
0
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
0
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
1
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
0
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
0
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
0
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
0
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.