By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
464,752 Members | 1,065 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 464,752 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Pronouncing Enum

P: n/a
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".
Nov 16 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
20 Replies

P: n/a
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


ee-nyoom, of course... :-)
Nov 16 '05 #2

P: n/a
For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration, in itself it should be
pronounced e-num (as in numb) if you ask me.

"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eZ*************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


ee-nyoom, of course... :-)

Nov 16 '05 #3

P: n/a
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:O8**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration, in itself it should be
pronounced e-num (as in numb) if you ask me.

"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eZ*************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> OK here's a random one for you:
>
> How do you pronounce enum when you say it?
>
> Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


ee-nyoom, of course... :-)


Nov 16 '05 #4

P: n/a
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:O8**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration,


It's precisely the fact that it is short for ee-nyoo-meh-ray-shun...

:-)
Nov 16 '05 #5

P: n/a
Well.. I have a friend called Florence (ok I admit, I don't really).
When she's called Flo for short, it's like "flow", not "flo" as in flock
without the K.

Thus enum is e-numb!

So that's settled then.

--
John Wood
EMail: first name, dot, second name at priorganize.com
"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eJ**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:O8**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration,


It's precisely the fact that it is short for ee-nyoo-meh-ray-shun...

:-)

Nov 16 '05 #6

P: n/a
Do you say "nooomber" ?

"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

Nov 16 '05 #7

P: n/a
I say it as "enummeration" (as in "e-numb-eration")

"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uU**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Well.. I have a friend called Florence (ok I admit, I don't really).
When she's called Flo for short, it's like "flow", not "flo" as in flock
without the K.

Thus enum is e-numb!

So that's settled then.

--
John Wood
EMail: first name, dot, second name at priorganize.com
"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eJ**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:O8**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
> Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration,


It's precisely the fact that it is short for ee-nyoo-meh-ray-shun...

:-)


Nov 16 '05 #8

P: n/a
Well at least you're consistent I suppose! :)

--
John Wood
EMail: first name, dot, second name at priorganize.com
"Bonj" <benjtaylor at hotpop d0t com> wrote in message
news:eh****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
I say it as "enummeration" (as in "e-numb-eration")

"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uU**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Well.. I have a friend called Florence (ok I admit, I don't really).
When she's called Flo for short, it's like "flow", not "flo" as in flock
without the K.

Thus enum is e-numb!

So that's settled then.

--
John Wood
EMail: first name, dot, second name at priorganize.com
"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eJ**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:O8**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> For some reason that just sounds wrong to me!
> Putting aside the fact it's short for enumeration,

It's precisely the fact that it is short for ee-nyoo-meh-ray-shun...

:-)



Nov 16 '05 #9

P: n/a
"Bonj" <benjtaylor at hotpop d0t com> wrote in message
news:%2******************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Do you say "nooomber" ?


Do you have a passport?
Nov 16 '05 #10

P: n/a
e-numm

--
Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/gdiplus_faq.htm

The GDI+ FAQ RSS feed: http://www.bobpowell.net/faqfeed.xml
Windows Forms Tips and Tricks RSS: http://www.bobpowell.net/tipstricks.xml
Bob's Blog: http://bobpowelldotnet.blogspot.com/atom.xml


"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

Nov 16 '05 #11

P: n/a
The problem is, there's no authority on this... because enum isn't a word!
Unless there's some 'geek dictionary' I'm not aware of...

--
John Wood
EMail: first name, dot, second name at priorganize.com
"Bob Powell [MVP]" <bob@_spamkiller_bobpowell.net> wrote in message
news:OL**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
e-numm

--
Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/gdiplus_faq.htm

The GDI+ FAQ RSS feed: http://www.bobpowell.net/faqfeed.xml
Windows Forms Tips and Tricks RSS: http://www.bobpowell.net/tipstricks.xml
Bob's Blog: http://bobpowelldotnet.blogspot.com/atom.xml


"John Wood" <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote in message
news:uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


Nov 16 '05 #12

P: n/a
eh? yes thanks, why?
"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
"Bonj" <benjtaylor at hotpop d0t com> wrote in message
news:%2******************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Do you say "nooomber" ?


Do you have a passport?

Nov 16 '05 #13

P: n/a
Another example of why it should be e-nummmm...

It's "modem" not "modeeeem" (as in modulator, DE-modulator).
If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Nov 16 '05 #14

P: n/a
"Mark Rae" <ma**@mark-N-O-S-P-A-M-rae.co.uk> wrote in message news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
"Bonj" <benjtaylor at hotpop d0t com> wrote in message
news:%2******************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Do you have a passport?


That was random...

--
Adam Clauss
ca*****@tamu.edu
Nov 16 '05 #15

P: n/a
John Wood <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote:
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


The way I pronounce it, it rhymes with 'venom'. I suppose that's the
latter of the two choices above.

It's sometimes funny to talk with someone when using computing terms to
find that you pronounce them differently. For example, someone the other
day pronounced 'URL' as 'earl' and I had no idea what he was referring to
at first. (I pronounce it 'you are ell'.)
Nov 16 '05 #16

P: n/a
C# Learner wrote:
John Wood <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote:

OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

The way I pronounce it, it rhymes with 'venom'. I suppose that's the
latter of the two choices above.

It's sometimes funny to talk with someone when using computing terms to
find that you pronounce them differently. For example, someone the other
day pronounced 'URL' as 'earl' and I had no idea what he was referring to
at first. (I pronounce it 'you are ell'.)

I can't stand the "earl" pronunciation. I say "U - R - L".
Then again, some people say "ess queue ell" and I say "sequel". (SQL)
Some say (datatype char) as "char" (as in charcoal) and others say "care"
and most say "c-sharp" but some guy I interviewed once insisted on
calling it "c-pound". I killed him and buried him in the yard.

I say "e-num" in the same way you would say "number".

--

____________________________________________
Scott C. Reynolds - Tales From the SharpSide
http://www.scottcreynolds.com
sc***@scottcreynolds.com

*****Get your SharpSide Swag!******
http://www.cafepress.com/sharpside/
***********************************
Nov 16 '05 #17

P: n/a
Well at least he was partially right (but still deserved to die if you ask
me). Barnes and Noble have only just corrected (after several months) their
book signs to read "C#". When they first arrived they all said "C/C+/C++".

--
John Wood
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/johnwood/

"Scott C. Reynolds" <sr*********@noemail.nospam> wrote in message
news:OU**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
C# Learner wrote:
John Wood <sp**@isannoying.com> wrote:

OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

The way I pronounce it, it rhymes with 'venom'. I suppose that's the
latter of the two choices above.

It's sometimes funny to talk with someone when using computing terms to
find that you pronounce them differently. For example, someone the other day pronounced 'URL' as 'earl' and I had no idea what he was referring to at first. (I pronounce it 'you are ell'.)

I can't stand the "earl" pronunciation. I say "U - R - L".
Then again, some people say "ess queue ell" and I say "sequel". (SQL)
Some say (datatype char) as "char" (as in charcoal) and others say "care"
and most say "c-sharp" but some guy I interviewed once insisted on
calling it "c-pound". I killed him and buried him in the yard.

I say "e-num" in the same way you would say "number".

--

____________________________________________
Scott C. Reynolds - Tales From the SharpSide
http://www.scottcreynolds.com
sc***@scottcreynolds.com

*****Get your SharpSide Swag!******
http://www.cafepress.com/sharpside/
***********************************

Nov 16 '05 #18

P: n/a
Does ANYONE know of a web page / control / reference / .net assembly that
will allow me have users key in a TEXT item, and it automatically CONVERT it
to the phonetic representation??

EX: they type in ENUM, it spits out E NOOM etc etc

Thanks in advance!!

"John Wood" wrote:
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

Nov 16 '05 #19

P: n/a
Look up the terms "Soundex" and "text-metaphone" on google.
Peter

"K Mills" <K Mi***@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9**********************************@microsof t.com...
Does ANYONE know of a web page / control / reference / .net assembly that
will allow me have users key in a TEXT item, and it automatically CONVERT it to the phonetic representation??

EX: they type in ENUM, it spits out E NOOM etc etc

Thanks in advance!!

"John Wood" wrote:
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".

Nov 16 '05 #20

P: n/a

Peter, thank you very much for the quick reply... But I guess I am looking
for something more along the lines of something that spits out the DEFAULT
pronunciation as opposed to the SOUNDEX S#### representation of the specific
word. That way in the database specific pronunciations of the same root word
can be easily configured...

FOR EXAMPLE: enum = ee noom / aye nuem etc etc I am just making this up.

Within Microsoft Speech Server, with the Speech SDK within .Net Studio, when
working with the prompts etc, you can find a specific control from Microsoft
that does exactly this. I have also seen this within other peoples
applications, and it appears to be a standard control that could be added to
a webpage / referenced and included. BUT, perhaps I am missing something.....

I think it's there, but I have not found it....

Thanks in advance!!
"Peter Bromberg [MVP]" wrote:
Look up the terms "Soundex" and "text-metaphone" on google.
Peter

"K Mills" <K Mi***@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9**********************************@microsof t.com...
Does ANYONE know of a web page / control / reference / .net assembly that
will allow me have users key in a TEXT item, and it automatically CONVERT

it
to the phonetic representation??

EX: they type in ENUM, it spits out E NOOM etc etc

Thanks in advance!!

"John Wood" wrote:
OK here's a random one for you:

How do you pronounce enum when you say it?

Some say "e-noom", others say "en-um".


Nov 16 '05 #21

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.