473,692 Members | 2,090 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

C# and MDB

Hi all,

I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.

thanks for the help,

Dec 14 '06 #1
6 22380
1) Stolen from Google:
1. Open a new Visual C# .NET console application.

2. In the Solution Explorer window, right-click the References node and
select
Add Reference.

3. In the Add Reference dialog box, click the COM tab and select
Microsoft ADO
Ext. 2.7 for DDL and Security. Click Select to add it to the "Selected
Components". Click OK.

4. Delete all of the code from the code window for Class1.cs.

5. Copy the following code and paste it into the code window:

using System;
using ADOX;

namespace ConsoleApplicat ion1
{
class Class1
{
[STAThread]
static void Main(string[] args)
{
ADOX.CatalogCla ss cat = new ADOX.CatalogCla ss();

cat.Create("Pro vider=Microsoft .Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " +
"Data Source=D:\\Acce ssDB\\NewMDB.md b;" +
"Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5");

Console.WriteLi ne("Database Created Successfully");

cat = null;

}
}
}

6. Change the path to the new .mdb file as appropriate. Press F5 to
build and
run the project.

The new .mdb file will be created in Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) format. For
a
different Jet format, see "References ."
2) ADOX is Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.x for DDL and Security. You add a
reference in the COM section (It's a COM library)

3) You'll have to know SQL to use the API's, look at the look up
System.Data.Ole Db.OleDbConnect ion for a starting point.

4) System.Data.Ole Db.OleDb.OleDbC ommand, OleDbDataReader and all the
other objects in that space.

5) Yep, all everything in System.Data.Ole Db

6) Check CodeProject.com they have excellent tutorials.
Er********@gmai l.com wrote:
Hi all,

I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.

thanks for the help,
Dec 14 '06 #2
<Er********@gma il.comwrote in message
news:11******** *************@7 9g2000cws.googl egroups.com...
I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.
Is the .mdb file always the same when it's first created? If so, all you
need to do is use something like Access to create the .mdb file they way you
need it, embed it in your project as an embedded resource, and then extract
it whenever you need to "create" a new .mdb file - no need for messing
around with ADOX at all...
Dec 14 '06 #3

Mark Rae wrote:
<Er********@gma il.comwrote in message
news:11******** *************@7 9g2000cws.googl egroups.com...
I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.

Is the .mdb file always the same when it's first created? If so, all you
need to do is use something like Access to create the .mdb file they way you
need it, embed it in your project as an embedded resource, and then extract
it whenever you need to "create" a new .mdb file - no need for messing
around with ADOX at all...
Hi Mark Rae and DeveloperX ,

thanks for your reply.
Mark,

Yes, the .mdb file is always the same when it's first created. if I
embedded the MDB
file, with what control APIs can I access it? I only need limited APIs.
Such as, add record, to different coloumns, deleted recored etc'...

Dec 14 '06 #4

DeveloperX wrote:
1) Stolen from Google:
1. Open a new Visual C# .NET console application.

2. In the Solution Explorer window, right-click the References node and
select
Add Reference.

3. In the Add Reference dialog box, click the COM tab and select
Microsoft ADO
Ext. 2.7 for DDL and Security. Click Select to add it to the "Selected
Components". Click OK.

4. Delete all of the code from the code window for Class1.cs.

5. Copy the following code and paste it into the code window:

using System;
using ADOX;

namespace ConsoleApplicat ion1
{
class Class1
{
[STAThread]
static void Main(string[] args)
{
ADOX.CatalogCla ss cat = new ADOX.CatalogCla ss();

cat.Create("Pro vider=Microsoft .Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " +
"Data Source=D:\\Acce ssDB\\NewMDB.md b;" +
"Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5");

Console.WriteLi ne("Database Created Successfully");

cat = null;

}
}
}

6. Change the path to the new .mdb file as appropriate. Press F5 to
build and
run the project.

The new .mdb file will be created in Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) format. For
a
different Jet format, see "References ."
2) ADOX is Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.x for DDL and Security. You add a
reference in the COM section (It's a COM library)

3) You'll have to know SQL to use the API's, look at the look up
System.Data.Ole Db.OleDbConnect ion for a starting point.

4) System.Data.Ole Db.OleDb.OleDbC ommand, OleDbDataReader and all the
other objects in that space.

5) Yep, all everything in System.Data.Ole Db

6) Check CodeProject.com they have excellent tutorials.
Er********@gmai l.com wrote:
Hi all,

I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.

thanks for the help,
I need this MDB access to use it with windowsapplicat ion. Can i still
use it?

Dec 14 '06 #5
I would not import the ADODB library.

..Net data access is much different from ADO/vb6.

Search for
"datareader " "dataset" and "access" "mdb"

You'll find better ways to talk to the database.

As far as creation, if you need to create one, then have a seperate assembly
which references adodb.
But the "resource" idea is a better one. You don't want to mess with adodb
in .Net if you don't have to.

HEre was a match
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx
<Er********@gma il.comwrote in message
news:11******** *************@7 9g2000cws.googl egroups.com...
Hi all,

I need to write app which using MDB files.
Can any one help me with that?

1. Can C# create MDB File(with or without ADOX)? or do i have to create
it manually?
2. How do i set ADOX?
3. Do I have to use SQL or i can use APIs?
4. Can I read/write to this file?
5. is there a C# class that handles MDB file?
6. is there any good tutorial for that?

this file is not shared and has only one table with about 8 coloumns.

thanks for the help,

Dec 14 '06 #6
<Er********@gma il.comwrote in message
news:11******** *************@j 72g2000cwa.goog legroups.com...

Eran,
Yes, the .mdb file is always the same when it's first created. if I
embedded the MDB
file, with what control APIs can I access it? I only need limited APIs.
Such as, add record, to different coloumns, deleted recored etc'...
Ah - I assumed your problem was limited to "creating" an mdb file, not
actually interfacing with one...

An embedded resource must first be extracted and saved to the file system
before it can be used:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Prog..._21214299.html

The fact that you use the term "control APIs" makes me wonder how much you
understand about the databases and the .NET Framework...

There are no "control APIs" per se - for a C# WinForms app to talk to a Jet
database (because that's what an mdb file is), you use ADO.NET and OleDb:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...%22C%23%22+MDB

I suggest you get a copy of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-2005...e=UTF8&s=books
Dec 14 '06 #7

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
11216
by: William C. White | last post by:
Does anyone know of a way to use PHP /w Authorize.net AIM without using cURL? Our website is hosted on a shared drive and the webhost company doesn't installed additional software (such as cURL) on the server because of that. Our site will have an SSL certificate next week, so I would like to use AIM instead of SIM, however, I don't know how to send data via POST over https and recieve data from the Authorize.net server over an https...
2
5812
by: Albert Ahtenberg | last post by:
Hello, I don't know if it is only me but I was sure that header("Location:url") redirects the browser instantly to URL, or at least stops the execution of the code. But appearantely it continues to execute the code until the browser send his reply to the header instruction. So an exit(); after each redirection won't hurt at all
3
23008
by: James | last post by:
Hi, I have a form with 2 fields. 'A' 'B' The user completes one of the fields and the form is submitted. On the results page I want to run a query, but this will change subject to which field is completed.
0
8471
by: Ollivier Robert | last post by:
Hello, I'm trying to link PHP with Oracle 9.2.0/OCI8 with gcc 3.2.3 on a Solaris9 system. The link succeeds but everytime I try to run php, I get a SEGV from inside the libcnltsh.so library. 354 roberto@ausone:Build/php-4.3.2> ldd /opt/php4/bin/php libsablot.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libsablot.so.0 libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5 libm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libm.so.1
1
8576
by: Richard Galli | last post by:
I want viewers to compare state laws on a single subject. Imagine a three-column table with a drop-down box on the top. A viewer selects a state from the list, and that state's text fills the column below. The viewer can select states from the drop down lists above the other two columns as well. If the viewer selects only one, only one column fills. If the viewer selects two states, two columns fill. Etc. I could, if appropriate, have...
4
18264
by: Albert Ahtenberg | last post by:
Hello, I have two questions. 1. When the user presses the back button and returns to a form he filled the form is reseted. How do I leave there the values he inserted? 2. When the user comes back to a page where he had a submitted POST data the browser keeps telling that the data has expired and asks if repost. How to avoid that? I tried registering all POST and GET vars as SESSION vars but
1
6821
by: inderjit S Gabrie | last post by:
Hi all Here is the scenerio ...is it possibly to do this... i am getting valid course dates output on to a web which i have designed ....all is okay so far , look at the following web url http://www.mis.gla.ac.uk/biquery/training/ but each of the courses held have maximum of 8 people that could be
2
31407
by: Jack | last post by:
Hi All, What is the PHP equivilent of Oracle bind variables in a SQL statement, e.g. select x from y where z=:parameter Which in asp/jsp would be followed by some statements to bind a value to :parameter I dont like the idea of making the SQL statement on the fly without binding parameters as I dont want a highly polluted SQL cache.
3
23573
by: Sandwick | last post by:
I am trying to change the size of a drawing so they are all 3x3. the script below is what i was trying to use to cut it in half ... I get errors. I can display the normal picture but not the results of the picture half the size. The PHP I have installed support 1.62 or higher. And all I would like to do is take and image and make it fit a 3x3. Any suggestions to where I should read or look would be appreciated.
0
9079
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
1
8794
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
8796
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
7626
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development projectplanning, coding, testing, and deploymentwithout human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
1
6458
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupr who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
5817
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
4555
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
2968
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
3
1955
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.