473,554 Members | 2,934 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Excel Automation

I need to do some research on how to use excel automation from c#. Does
anyone know of any good books related to this subject?

Thanks.
Mansi

Nov 16 '05 #1
17 6315
Hi Mansi,

Here's a collection of relevant information on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...l/default.aspx

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:A6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I need to do some research on how to use excel automation from c#. Does
anyone know of any good books related to this subject?

Thanks.
Mansi

Nov 16 '05 #2
Thanks. This link contains lots of helpful info.

Which discussion group is the best place to post technical code related
questions related to c# and excel automation?

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
Hi Mansi,

Here's a collection of relevant information on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...l/default.aspx

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:A6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I need to do some research on how to use excel automation from c#. Does
anyone know of any good books related to this subject?

Thanks.
Mansi


Nov 16 '05 #3
I think you should get good responses in the
microsoft.publi c.vsnet.vstools .office group. That one is for Visual Studio
Tools for Office, but I think whether you use VSTO or PIA's you'll see many
of the same issues.

Another good newsgroup is microsoft.publi c.framework.int erop, especially if
you are using PIA's because they will discuss general COM Interop issues
that may or may not have anything to do with Excel.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:E2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks. This link contains lots of helpful info.

Which discussion group is the best place to post technical code related
questions related to c# and excel automation?

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
Hi Mansi,

Here's a collection of relevant information on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...l/default.aspx

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:A6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I need to do some research on how to use excel automation from c#. Does anyone know of any good books related to this subject?

Thanks.
Mansi


Nov 16 '05 #4
I've done some reading on PIA's and know that they are available for download
for office XP, but what is VSTO?

Can excel automation be used so that I can export data from Visual c# .NET
to an excel worksheet? What I'm looking to do is export data from a grid in
C# to excel such that the data is nicely formated and easy to read. (I'm
assuming that the "Record Macro" function in Excel will help simplify the
code for me). Is this something that's very complicated to do once I have
installed the Office XP PIAs?

Thanks.
Venu

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
I think you should get good responses in the
microsoft.publi c.vsnet.vstools .office group. That one is for Visual Studio
Tools for Office, but I think whether you use VSTO or PIA's you'll see many
of the same issues.

Another good newsgroup is microsoft.publi c.framework.int erop, especially if
you are using PIA's because they will discuss general COM Interop issues
that may or may not have anything to do with Excel.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:E2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks. This link contains lots of helpful info.

Which discussion group is the best place to post technical code related
questions related to c# and excel automation?

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
Hi Mansi,

Here's a collection of relevant information on MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...l/default.aspx

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:A6******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> I need to do some research on how to use excel automation from c#. Does > anyone know of any good books related to this subject?
>
> Thanks.
> Mansi
>


Nov 16 '05 #5
VSTO == Visual Studio Tools for Office. It ships with VS.NET Architect or
you can buy it as a separate package. It allows you to automate Excel and
Word applications with managed code. The programming model reminds me of
ASP.NET with code-behind, where you can use Excel or Word as your UI. The
only problem I had with it was that it supported only a single document and
in the project I was working on, the customer needed to open multiple
instances at the same time. However, if your requirements allow you to work
with a single document, this is an excellent way to develop Office apps.

If you are not using VSTO, Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are the way to
go. They are released by Microsoft and strong named and will save you many
headaches. If someone should choose to generate their own interop
assemblies, a whole new world of problems opens up, so I don't recommend it.
For example, in self-generated interop assemblies, the SinkHelper methods
are generated with private accessibility. You need these to be public in
order to receive callbacks for Office document events. This requires you to
disassemble the assembly, make the SinkHelper's public, and reassemble the
assembly. PIAs save you all this hassle and more.

You can do nearly everything you want with Excel, including putting data in
the spread-sheet and formatting it as you like, pulling information out,
capturing spreadsheet events, and more. The recorder macro is your friend
because you can do what you want, generate the code, and examine the code to
see what you need to do in C#.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:0F******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I've done some reading on PIA's and know that they are available for download for office XP, but what is VSTO?

Can excel automation be used so that I can export data from Visual c# .NET
to an excel worksheet? What I'm looking to do is export data from a grid in C# to excel such that the data is nicely formated and easy to read. (I'm
assuming that the "Record Macro" function in Excel will help simplify the
code for me). Is this something that's very complicated to do once I have
installed the Office XP PIAs?

Nov 16 '05 #6
I followed the steps listed on the MSDN site to install the PIAs for Office
2003. I'm assuming they were installed successfully.

In my c# .NET project, I added a reference to "Microsoft Access 11.0 Object
Library". Also, I added the following lines to the end of the list of using
directives: using Excel = Microsoft.Offic e.Interop.Excel ;
using System.Reflecti on;

How do I confirm Visual Studio .NET is actually using the PIAs and not
generating its own interop assembly for the project?

Thanks for all the help.

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
VSTO == Visual Studio Tools for Office. It ships with VS.NET Architect or
you can buy it as a separate package. It allows you to automate Excel and
Word applications with managed code. The programming model reminds me of
ASP.NET with code-behind, where you can use Excel or Word as your UI. The
only problem I had with it was that it supported only a single document and
in the project I was working on, the customer needed to open multiple
instances at the same time. However, if your requirements allow you to work
with a single document, this is an excellent way to develop Office apps.

If you are not using VSTO, Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are the way to
go. They are released by Microsoft and strong named and will save you many
headaches. If someone should choose to generate their own interop
assemblies, a whole new world of problems opens up, so I don't recommend it.
For example, in self-generated interop assemblies, the SinkHelper methods
are generated with private accessibility. You need these to be public in
order to receive callbacks for Office document events. This requires you to
disassemble the assembly, make the SinkHelper's public, and reassemble the
assembly. PIAs save you all this hassle and more.

You can do nearly everything you want with Excel, including putting data in
the spread-sheet and formatting it as you like, pulling information out,
capturing spreadsheet events, and more. The recorder macro is your friend
because you can do what you want, generate the code, and examine the code to
see what you need to do in C#.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:0F******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I've done some reading on PIA's and know that they are available for

download
for office XP, but what is VSTO?

Can excel automation be used so that I can export data from Visual c# .NET
to an excel worksheet? What I'm looking to do is export data from a grid

in
C# to excel such that the data is nicely formated and easy to read. (I'm
assuming that the "Record Macro" function in Excel will help simplify the
code for me). Is this something that's very complicated to do once I have
installed the Office XP PIAs?


Nov 16 '05 #7
Hi Mansi,

Right-click on the reference under the References folder in Solution
Explorer and select Properties. The path should lead to the
%windir%\assemb ly\gac\.... directory. If you are pointing to something
local, that local directory will show up.

I noticed that you referenced the "Access" PIA, but are writing an alias for
Excel. It seems like it shouldn't work. IIRC, the PIA namespace is not the
same as a VS.NET auto-generated interop assembly. So, if you are still able
to reference Microsoft.Offic e.Interop.Excel , then it seems like you still
have the old auto-generated interop assembly in your references list. You
should delete all the old interop assemblies.

I remember having this problem back when I migrated from interop assemblies
to PIAs. It was very difficult to get the interop assemblies out of the
reference list. I removed all of the interop assemblies and PIA references
from the project, went to the file system and deleted all of the
auto-generated interop assemblies, and then re-added PIAs. Remember that
generating interop assemblies also generates interop assemblies for all of
it's dependent type libraries. So, in addition to the Excel interop
assembly, you get Microsoft.Offic e.Core, stdole, and VBIDE. When you do
this, look at the Path property, described above, to verify that you are
referencing the PIA in the GAC.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:73******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I followed the steps listed on the MSDN site to install the PIAs for Office 2003. I'm assuming they were installed successfully.

In my c# .NET project, I added a reference to "Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library". Also, I added the following lines to the end of the list of using directives: using Excel = Microsoft.Offic e.Interop.Excel ;
using System.Reflecti on;

How do I confirm Visual Studio .NET is actually using the PIAs and not
generating its own interop assembly for the project?

Thanks for all the help.

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
VSTO == Visual Studio Tools for Office. It ships with VS.NET Architect or you can buy it as a separate package. It allows you to automate Excel and Word applications with managed code. The programming model reminds me of ASP.NET with code-behind, where you can use Excel or Word as your UI. The only problem I had with it was that it supported only a single document and in the project I was working on, the customer needed to open multiple
instances at the same time. However, if your requirements allow you to work with a single document, this is an excellent way to develop Office apps.

If you are not using VSTO, Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are the way to go. They are released by Microsoft and strong named and will save you many headaches. If someone should choose to generate their own interop
assemblies, a whole new world of problems opens up, so I don't recommend it. For example, in self-generated interop assemblies, the SinkHelper methods are generated with private accessibility. You need these to be public in order to receive callbacks for Office document events. This requires you to disassemble the assembly, make the SinkHelper's public, and reassemble the assembly. PIAs save you all this hassle and more.

You can do nearly everything you want with Excel, including putting data in the spread-sheet and formatting it as you like, pulling information out,
capturing spreadsheet events, and more. The recorder macro is your friend because you can do what you want, generate the code, and examine the code to see what you need to do in C#.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:0F******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I've done some reading on PIA's and know that they are available for

download
for office XP, but what is VSTO?

Can excel automation be used so that I can export data from Visual c# ..NET to an excel worksheet? What I'm looking to do is export data from a grid
in
C# to excel such that the data is nicely formated and easy to read.

(I'm assuming that the "Record Macro" function in Excel will help simplify the code for me). Is this something that's very complicated to do once I have installed the Office XP PIAs?


Nov 16 '05 #8
Hi Joe,

I checked the path under properties and confirmed that it references the GAC
directory. (i.e. For Excel - path refers to
c:\Windows\asse mbly\GAC\Micros oft.Office.Inte rop.Excel\...\M icrosoft.Office .Interop.Excel. dll).
In my previous email, I referred to the wrong object library. I meant to
say that I added a reference to "Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library".

Under references, in addition to the Excel interop assembly, I see
Microsoft.Offic e.Core and VBIDE, but I don't see stdole. Is that a problem?

Thanks for all the help.

Mansi
"Joe Mayo" wrote:
Hi Mansi,

Right-click on the reference under the References folder in Solution
Explorer and select Properties. The path should lead to the
%windir%\assemb ly\gac\.... directory. If you are pointing to something
local, that local directory will show up.

I noticed that you referenced the "Access" PIA, but are writing an alias for
Excel. It seems like it shouldn't work. IIRC, the PIA namespace is not the
same as a VS.NET auto-generated interop assembly. So, if you are still able
to reference Microsoft.Offic e.Interop.Excel , then it seems like you still
have the old auto-generated interop assembly in your references list. You
should delete all the old interop assemblies.

I remember having this problem back when I migrated from interop assemblies
to PIAs. It was very difficult to get the interop assemblies out of the
reference list. I removed all of the interop assemblies and PIA references
from the project, went to the file system and deleted all of the
auto-generated interop assemblies, and then re-added PIAs. Remember that
generating interop assemblies also generates interop assemblies for all of
it's dependent type libraries. So, in addition to the Excel interop
assembly, you get Microsoft.Offic e.Core, stdole, and VBIDE. When you do
this, look at the Path property, described above, to verify that you are
referencing the PIA in the GAC.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:73******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I followed the steps listed on the MSDN site to install the PIAs for

Office
2003. I'm assuming they were installed successfully.

In my c# .NET project, I added a reference to "Microsoft Access 11.0

Object
Library". Also, I added the following lines to the end of the list of

using
directives: using Excel = Microsoft.Offic e.Interop.Excel ;
using System.Reflecti on;

How do I confirm Visual Studio .NET is actually using the PIAs and not
generating its own interop assembly for the project?

Thanks for all the help.

Mansi

"Joe Mayo" wrote:
VSTO == Visual Studio Tools for Office. It ships with VS.NET Architect or you can buy it as a separate package. It allows you to automate Excel and Word applications with managed code. The programming model reminds me of ASP.NET with code-behind, where you can use Excel or Word as your UI. The only problem I had with it was that it supported only a single document and in the project I was working on, the customer needed to open multiple
instances at the same time. However, if your requirements allow you to work with a single document, this is an excellent way to develop Office apps.

If you are not using VSTO, Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) are the way to go. They are released by Microsoft and strong named and will save you many headaches. If someone should choose to generate their own interop
assemblies, a whole new world of problems opens up, so I don't recommend it. For example, in self-generated interop assemblies, the SinkHelper methods are generated with private accessibility. You need these to be public in order to receive callbacks for Office document events. This requires you to disassemble the assembly, make the SinkHelper's public, and reassemble the assembly. PIAs save you all this hassle and more.

You can do nearly everything you want with Excel, including putting data in the spread-sheet and formatting it as you like, pulling information out,
capturing spreadsheet events, and more. The recorder macro is your friend because you can do what you want, generate the code, and examine the code to see what you need to do in C#.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:0F******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> I've done some reading on PIA's and know that they are available for
download
> for office XP, but what is VSTO?
>
> Can excel automation be used so that I can export data from Visual c# ..NET > to an excel worksheet? What I'm looking to do is export data from a grid in
> C# to excel such that the data is nicely formated and easy to read. (I'm > assuming that the "Record Macro" function in Excel will help simplify the > code for me). Is this something that's very complicated to do once I have > installed the Office XP PIAs?


Nov 16 '05 #9

"Mansi" <Ma***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1D******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi Joe,

I checked the path under properties and confirmed that it references the GAC directory. (i.e. For Excel - path refers to
c:\Windows\asse mbly\GAC\Micros oft.Office.Inte rop.Excel\...\M icrosoft.Office .
Interop.Excel.d ll).

Good deal.
In my previous email, I referred to the wrong object library. I meant to say that I added a reference to "Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library".

That's good. I just wanted to check because it would have been very
confusing for you otherwise. ;)
Under references, in addition to the Excel interop assembly, I see
Microsoft.Offic e.Core and VBIDE, but I don't see stdole. Is that a

problem?

No problem. The stdole reference gets pulled in any time you create an
auto-generated reference with a type library in VS.NET. In the case of the
PIAs, it is not pulled into your reference list.

Joe
--
http://www.csharp-station.com
Nov 16 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

17
27251
by: Ange T | last post by:
Hi there, I'm having pain with the VB behind an Access form. The form is used to create reports in Excel based on the details entered in the form. This has always worked without error on my machine (NT4, Access 2k), however as soon as I attempt to create anything on another machine (NT4, Access 2k) which most users will be working from, I...
2
9482
by: jeffgeorge | last post by:
I'm currently exporting a form to Excel. Because there are controls and totals in the header, I first have a button for users to convert to a datasheet. Then I use the automated quick office Export to Excel Link then I have a button which returns the user to a form view. It's a 3 step process with the user needing to Save As in Excel if...
7
5329
by: taylor.bryant | last post by:
I am running: Win XP SP2 Excel 2002, Access 2002 (Office XP SP3) Using Visual Basic (not VB.NET) At one point (prior to XP SP2?!? - I can't pin it down), this did not happen and I was easily able to destroy instances of excel (with the exact same code). I have read many, many posts, and they seem to get bogged down in specifics. So I...
1
5038
by: cybertof | last post by:
Hello, Is there a way to connect (through automation) a c# application to a running Excel 2003 instance on a specific workbook ? In the past, i used to use GetObject(...) function in VB6. Regarding C#, I have heard about System.Runtime.InteropServices.marshal.GetActiveObject ("Excel.Application")
12
2406
by: D. Shane Fowlkes | last post by:
This most likely belongs in another forum but I thought I'd start here. I have a COM Object written in VB6. The DLL will access MS Excel and use it's Object Library to write a customized report and saves it to a folder. The DLL even writes to a log for each step it takes so we can troubleshoot the problems (if any). This works fine on...
12
3207
by: elziko | last post by:
I'm using late binding (I must) to automate Excel. My code opens Excel after createing and poulating some sheets. My problem is that when the user finally decides to close Excel its process is left running until my application closes. I have tried setting my Excel.Application object to Nothing. I have tried to then fore the GC into...
3
2792
by: Carlos Magalhaes | last post by:
Hey All, I am doing some excel automation using the excel COM. I can do most of the functions and its working well until I come across a formula. I can run a formula and insert the formula value into a cell. BUT this is where it comes "complex".
3
2173
by: Mitchell Vincent | last post by:
Does anyone have some good examples of Excel automation with (VB).NET? I have some Excel spreadsheets that a customer needs parsed out but I've never tried to use Excel programatically before! Thanks! -- - Mitchell Vincent - kBilling - Invoices Made Easy!
6
598
by: a.theil | last post by:
Please help! I need a simple excel automation, just 2 write some files into excel. I do: Dim oXL As Excel.Application Dim oWB As Excel.Workbook Dim oSheet As Excel.Worksheet Dim oRng As Excel.Range
0
7578
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
0
7497
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7780
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
1
7530
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
7862
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
1
5414
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
5136
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3539
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
1
1994
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.