473,583 Members | 3,550 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Windows Update

Hey all,

Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking

Thanks
--
/Jonny
Nov 16 '05 #1
14 3483
Jonny <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote:
Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking


You're right, this isn't the proper place - I suggest you ask in the
proper place instead. microsoft.publi c.windowsupdate is the first place
I'd look...

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.co m>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 16 '05 #2
Thanks.

I was looking to see if it is possible to create an application that could
be used as a patch management tool. similar to Netchk, but would have a more
coprehensive tool/option set.

/J

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote:
Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking


You're right, this isn't the proper place - I suggest you ask in the
proper place instead. microsoft.publi c.windowsupdate is the first place
I'd look...

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.co m>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Nov 16 '05 #3
Jonny,

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a
request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of items
you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded representation) ,
and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either that, or
what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last
time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the machine,
giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate
privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you want).

Hope this helps.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hey all,

Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking

Thanks
--
/Jonny

Nov 16 '05 #4
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks, that was what i assumed was going on. The part that I really would
be interested in is how the service can 'tell' what patches are releative to
each system... I assume it compiles a list of the installed Applications and
the installed Updates and then check against its own database to see what
patches are relevent. I guess what i really need is what parameters need to
be checked to ensure only the correct patches are installed.

The application I would like to write will allow users to scan remote
machiens and be prompted with the list of relevant patches that are then
selected and installed. A full record of each patch and the patch history for
each machine would be kept.

Thanks Again,

/J

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a
request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of items
you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded representation) ,
and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either that, or
what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last
time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the machine,
giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate
privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you want).

Hope this helps.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hey all,

Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking

Thanks
--
/Jonny


Nov 16 '05 #5
There is a log file with the installed patches in the system root named
"Windows Update.log".
Then the ActiveX that's installing the updates is checking against the
server with the list they have published as updates.
I'm not sure how it works with SUS - probably a GPO running - just guessing
:).
You should ask in microsoft.publi c.windowsupdate for details.

If you're interested in writing an app with auto update, you should check
out the Application Updater App Block - it's available at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ml/updater.asp

Cheers,
Branimir
--
Branimir Giurov
MCSD.NET, MCDBA
www.sofiadev.org

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" <mv*@spam.guard .caspershouse.c om> wrote in
message news:ef******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP11.phx.gbl...
Jonny,

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a
request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of items
you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded representation) ,
and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either that, or what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the machine, giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate
privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you want).

Hope this helps.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hey all,

Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking

Thanks
--
/Jonny


Nov 16 '05 #6
Jonny,

If you are writing a .NET app that you want to be auto-updated, you
might want to check on ClickOnce, as it will eliminate the need for you to
do all of this yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1D******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks, that was what i assumed was going on. The part that I really would
be interested in is how the service can 'tell' what patches are releative to each system... I assume it compiles a list of the installed Applications and the installed Updates and then check against its own database to see what
patches are relevent. I guess what i really need is what parameters need to be checked to ensure only the correct patches are installed.

The application I would like to write will allow users to scan remote
machiens and be prompted with the list of relevant patches that are then
selected and installed. A full record of each patch and the patch history for each machine would be kept.

Thanks Again,

/J

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a
request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of items you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded representation) , and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either that, or what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the machine, giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate
privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you want).
Hope this helps.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hey all,

Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
OS/Software Installed??

I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking

Thanks
--
/Jonny


Nov 16 '05 #7
I want to write an application that will allow an network admin to see and
control what patches are on their network.

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

If you are writing a .NET app that you want to be auto-updated, you
might want to check on ClickOnce, as it will eliminate the need for you to
do all of this yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1D******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks, that was what i assumed was going on. The part that I really would
be interested in is how the service can 'tell' what patches are releative

to
each system... I assume it compiles a list of the installed Applications

and
the installed Updates and then check against its own database to see what
patches are relevent. I guess what i really need is what parameters need

to
be checked to ensure only the correct patches are installed.

The application I would like to write will allow users to scan remote
machiens and be prompted with the list of relevant patches that are then
selected and installed. A full record of each patch and the patch history

for
each machine would be kept.

Thanks Again,

/J

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a
request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of items you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded representation) , and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either that, or what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the machine, giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate
privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you want).
Hope this helps.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> Hey all,
>
> Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it
> identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for
> OS/Software Installed??
>
> I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking
>
> Thanks
> --
> /Jonny


Nov 16 '05 #8
Jonny,

I would look into SMS then. It already does this for windows machines,
and you wouldn't have to maintain it yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:55******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I want to write an application that will allow an network admin to see and
control what patches are on their network.

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

If you are writing a .NET app that you want to be auto-updated, you
might want to check on ClickOnce, as it will eliminate the need for you to do all of this yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1D******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks, that was what i assumed was going on. The part that I really would be interested in is how the service can 'tell' what patches are releative
to
each system... I assume it compiles a list of the installed
Applications and
the installed Updates and then check against its own database to see
what patches are relevent. I guess what i really need is what parameters need to
be checked to ensure only the correct patches are installed.

The application I would like to write will allow users to scan remote
machiens and be prompted with the list of relevant patches that are
then selected and installed. A full record of each patch and the patch history for
each machine would be kept.

Thanks Again,

/J

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:

> Jonny,
>
> I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make
a > request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of

items
> you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded

representation) ,
> and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either

that, or
> what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last
> time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the

machine,
> giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't

violate > privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you

want).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>
> --
> - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
> - mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m
>
> "Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
> news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it > > identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for > > OS/Software Installed??
> >
> > I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking > >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > /Jonny
>
>
>


Nov 16 '05 #9
Thanks, Nicholas.

SMS would not be suitable for this. The main purpose of this app is to
simplify the patch deployment process. There would be no client required, and
all you have to do to install a patch is select a machine or group of
machines and then click 'send'. The patch is silently and automatically
installed.

No further interferance is required, you then have a record of when the
patch was issued, to which machines, from which machine and by who.

Based on this general reports can be created for record keeping and if
needed back-up lists. We already have an application that keeps track of
software (installed) and hardware changes (RAM, CPU, BIOS etc..).

Thanks again,

Jonny

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

I would look into SMS then. It already does this for windows machines,
and you wouldn't have to maintain it yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:55******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I want to write an application that will allow an network admin to see and
control what patches are on their network.

"Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
Jonny,

If you are writing a .NET app that you want to be auto-updated, you
might want to check on ClickOnce, as it will eliminate the need for you to do all of this yourself.
--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m

"Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
news:1D******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> Hi Nicholas,
>
> Thanks, that was what i assumed was going on. The part that I really would > be interested in is how the service can 'tell' what patches are releative to
> each system... I assume it compiles a list of the installed Applications and
> the installed Updates and then check against its own database to see what > patches are relevent. I guess what i really need is what parameters need to
> be checked to ensure only the correct patches are installed.
>
> The application I would like to write will allow users to scan remote
> machiens and be prompted with the list of relevant patches that are then > selected and installed. A full record of each patch and the patch history for
> each machine would be kept.
>
> Thanks Again,
>
> /J
>
>
>
> "Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Jonny,
> >
> > I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that when you make a > > request to see what is at windows update, you either send a list of
items
> > you have installed (not directly, but perhaps an encoded
representation) ,
> > and it sends back what is new or what needs to be replaced. Either
that, or
> > what WU does is send back the whole list of what is available since the last
> > time you checked, and compares it locally with what you have on the
machine,
> > giving you a list of what is not installed. This way, you don't violate > > privacy concerns (as you never tell MS what you have, just what you
want).
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> >
> > --
> > - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
> > - mv*@spam.guard. caspershouse.co m
> >
> > "Jonny" <Jo***@discussi ons.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
> > news:D3******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > Just a query, How does WUS (Windows Update Service) work? How does it > > > identify what patches to install, and what are not valid patches for > > > OS/Software Installed??
> > >
> > > I know this isn't the proper place for this one, but i'm just checking > > >
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > /Jonny
> >
> >
> >


Nov 16 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

16
2311
by: Paul Rubin | last post by:
As what must be penance for something or other, I'm needing to release a Python app for use under Windows XP. Please be gentle with me since I'm a Un*x weenie and the only thing I've had much practice with under Windows is rebooting it. My app contains three different programs (say alice.py, bob.py, and carol.py) that need to be...
3
2423
by: PAUL EDWARDS | last post by:
I have a windows form that is bound to a datatable. In VB6 I could just update the field contents and it would be updated in the database, however if I update the text property of the control from code it is 50% chance that the update will make it back to the dataset. If I update the dataset instead of the form, it does not show on the form....
1
1774
by: Aurimas Norkevicius | last post by:
How to create application whitch acts like the one on the windows update page. I created windows forms control whitch uses ActiveX object. I want to host that control on the web page. Every time the client opens the page the ie downloads boath my control and the additional ActiveX dll. How to make installer like on the windows update page...
3
7386
by: Brian Keating EI9FXB | last post by:
Hello again, I've already placed a few posts on this topic. This time i've a simple application that exhibits my problem, I've placed sample solution 8k on my website should anyone be interested in having a look. http://briankeating.net/transfer/test.zip To recap the problem I expected (and found). I've a main GUI thead (main form), this...
2
2297
by: robert | last post by:
I've trouble compiling win32all. VC98 and latest SDK installed (otherwise with original SDK it won't even compile). It tells that uuid.lib(cguid_i.obj) : fatal error LNK1103: debug info is destroyed. This lib file is in the SDK file tree. What should I do? ( a cguid_i.* file is not in this SDK tree ) C:\usr\src\pywin32-210>python...
6
595
by: Chris Marsh | last post by:
All I have a database table, changes to the data within which I am interested in acting on. The approach that I'm taking is to have the database update a file every time data is updated. This process is outside my domain - I can rely on the file being updated when data changes. Within my domain is the design of a Windows service to...
60
7927
by: FAQ server | last post by:
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - How do I prompt a "Save As" dialog for an accepted mime type? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- It is not possible with client-side JavaScript. Some browsers accept the Content-Disposition header, but this must be...
1
1592
by: =?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBCaXJk?= | last post by:
Hello, I have an issue with the recent Windows Automated Update disabling my ATI All-In-Wonder video capture card in Windows XP. Then when I reload the ATI software, the card works until the next Automated Udate disables it again. I have temporarily deactivated the Automated Update feature due to this problem. After the update, I get the...
1
1631
by: =?Utf-8?B?TXIuIFQ=?= | last post by:
When I power down for the day, I am presented with a notice that an update is in progress and to not turn off power manually (it will occur automatically). The screen remains and the text flashes, but the update does not complete. I have left it undisturbed overnight and find this same condition the next day. This condition has repeated for...
0
7821
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
8172
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
8320
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
0
8190
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
5370
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3814
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
0
3841
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
1424
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
0
1152
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.