473,731 Members | 2,503 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Looking for C# book recommendation

Greetings,

I'm looking for any books that the members of this group may have to
recommend for C#. I have experience with a number of programming languages
(probably most relevant would have to be Java), and have already read 'C#
for Java Developers' from Microsoft Press. I feel as though I have a decent
understanding of C# now, but am interested in taking it to the next level.
In particular, a book with good examples is what I'm interested in.

I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting 'Programming
C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to any suggestions. A
major criteria would be that the book does not require the Visual Studio IDE
to follow its examples. Thanks in advance.
Gabriel Reid
Nov 15 '05 #1
13 2723
Well, since you know the syntax of C# ask yourself what more you want to
learn.
I wouldn't buy a regular C# book, as these are moreover over the language
itself.
I would buy a book like "Component based development in C#" that learns you
more than just the language itself.
I have a couple of books, but I must say, the most I learn from is the msdn
docs. I come across interesting things in there every day!

Greetz,
-- Rob.

Gabriel Reid wrote:
Greetings,

I'm looking for any books that the members of this group may have to
recommend for C#. I have experience with a number of programming
languages (probably most relevant would have to be Java), and have
already read 'C# for Java Developers' from Microsoft Press. I feel as
though I have a decent understanding of C# now, but am interested in
taking it to the next level. In particular, a book with good examples
is what I'm interested in.

I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting
'Programming C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to any
suggestions. A major criteria would be that the book does not require
the Visual Studio IDE to follow its examples. Thanks in advance.
Gabriel Reid

Nov 15 '05 #2
I wouldnt buy a book at all, search on p2p networks for .pdf or .chm :D
"Rob Tillie" <Ro********@stu dent.tul.edu> wrote in message
news:O0******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...
Well, since you know the syntax of C# ask yourself what more you want to
learn.
I wouldn't buy a regular C# book, as these are moreover over the language
itself.
I would buy a book like "Component based development in C#" that learns you more than just the language itself.
I have a couple of books, but I must say, the most I learn from is the msdn docs. I come across interesting things in there every day!

Greetz,
-- Rob.

Gabriel Reid wrote:
Greetings,

I'm looking for any books that the members of this group may have to
recommend for C#. I have experience with a number of programming
languages (probably most relevant would have to be Java), and have
already read 'C# for Java Developers' from Microsoft Press. I feel as
though I have a decent understanding of C# now, but am interested in
taking it to the next level. In particular, a book with good examples
is what I'm interested in.

I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting
'Programming C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to any
suggestions. A major criteria would be that the book does not require
the Visual Studio IDE to follow its examples. Thanks in advance.
Gabriel Reid


Nov 15 '05 #3
Then there will be no more skilled ppl out there :D no need for books then
:D

"Rob Tillie" <Ro********@stu dent.tul.edu> wrote in message
news:Oc******** ******@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...
Well,
If everyone does that there will be no more books :(.

Greetz,
-- Rob.

Jack Meyhoff wrote:
I wouldnt buy a book at all, search on p2p networks for .pdf or .chm
:D
"Rob Tillie" <Ro********@stu dent.tul.edu> wrote in message
news:O0******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...
Well, since you know the syntax of C# ask yourself what more you
want to learn.
I wouldn't buy a regular C# book, as these are moreover over the
language itself.
I would buy a book like "Component based development in C#" that
learns you more than just the language itself.
I have a couple of books, but I must say, the most I learn from is
the msdn docs. I come across interesting things in there every day!

Greetz,
-- Rob.

Gabriel Reid wrote:
Greetings,

I'm looking for any books that the members of this group may have to
recommend for C#. I have experience with a number of programming
languages (probably most relevant would have to be Java), and have
already read 'C# for Java Developers' from Microsoft Press. I feel
as though I have a decent understanding of C# now, but am
interested in taking it to the next level. In particular, a book
with good examples is what I'm interested in.

I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting
'Programming C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to
any suggestions. A major criteria would be that the book does not
require the Visual Studio IDE to follow its examples. Thanks in
advance.
Gabriel Reid


Nov 15 '05 #4
"Programmin g C#" (from O'Reilly) is good.

The bright red books from Wrox Press are very good, especially "Beginning
Visual C#" (which is not just for beginners) and the more specialized ones
such as "C# Text Handling," "C# Class Design", etc.

--

Michael A. Covington - Associate Director
Artificial Intelligence Center, The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc
Nov 15 '05 #5
> Jack Meyhoff wrote:
I wouldnt buy a book at all, search on p2p networks for .pdf or .chm
:D

"Rob Tillie" <Ro********@stu dent.tul.edu> wrote in message
news:Oc******** ******@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl... Well,
If everyone does that there will be no more books :(.


Believe me, those of us who write books have noticed! The computer book
market has collapsed in the past couple of years -- sales are down to maybe
40% of what they used to be (for comparable books, comparing this year's new
releases to earlier years' new releases).

Will people get tired of doing all their writing for free, on web pages?

Nov 15 '05 #6
Well, its easier for corps to host all theyre .CHM books on a server and
make it a central repository for a library. Most books come with it on a CD
for that purpose, sure corps buy books but as this is for my personal
reference, i download it. Convience.

Corps invented this money grabbing world, they can pay for it.
"Michael A. Covington" <Mi*****@Coving tonInnovations. com> wrote in message
news:uy******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...
Jack Meyhoff wrote:
I wouldnt buy a book at all, search on p2p networks for .pdf or .chm
:D

"Rob Tillie" <Ro********@stu dent.tul.edu> wrote in message
news:Oc******** ******@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...
Well,
If everyone does that there will be no more books :(.


Believe me, those of us who write books have noticed! The computer book
market has collapsed in the past couple of years -- sales are down to

maybe 40% of what they used to be (for comparable books, comparing this year's new releases to earlier years' new releases).

Will people get tired of doing all their writing for free, on web pages?

Nov 15 '05 #7
"Gabriel Reid" <ga**********@r emovethis.expli o.andthistoo.co m> wrote:
I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting
'Programming C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to any
suggestions. A major criteria would be that the book does not require
the Visual Studio IDE to follow its examples. Thanks in advance.


I just bought "C# in a Nutshell" yesterday and so far can say I am happy
with my purchase. Most of the other books were just regurgitating the
language reference, etc., but I chose this one because 1) it doesn't assume
I'm an idiot :-), and 2) it has printed references for many (but not all)
of the Framework classes. I liked this because I can just pack it along
when I go out for a walk, and sit down and read anywhere. So, for that
spare 15 minutes somewhere, I can look over the one of those classes or
namespaces I haven't used yet. And the explanations are concise and direct,
rather than rambling on and on.

I haven't seen any references to Visual Studio in it; looks like it may not
use it.

--
harry
Nov 15 '05 #8
Harry Bosch <no**@given.com > wrote:
"Gabriel Reid" <ga**********@r emovethis.expli o.andthistoo.co m> wrote:
I'm quite partial to books from O'Reilly (considering getting
'Programming C#' and /or 'C# in a Nutshell'), but am also open to any
suggestions. A major criteria would be that the book does not require
the Visual Studio IDE to follow its examples. Thanks in advance.


I just bought "C# in a Nutshell" yesterday and so far can say I am happy
with my purchase. Most of the other books were just regurgitating the
language reference, etc., but I chose this one because 1) it doesn't assume
I'm an idiot :-), and 2) it has printed references for many (but not all)
of the Framework classes.


Unfortunately it's a mostly useless reference, if I remember rightly -
there's too much information to really have in a book, when you usually
need to know details of what parameters are, etc. I find that MSDN is
*much* better for this. (The same is true in Java; I used to use Java
in a Nutshell until Javadocs became frame-based, and I haven't looked
back since.)

Out of interest, have they fixed the error where they claimed that
boolean (or maybe char) was a floating point type? If I remember
correctly, there really are quite a few mistakes in that book. (Not
that it's alone in that, admittedly.)

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.co m>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Nov 15 '05 #9
Jon Skeet <sk***@pobox.co m> wrote:
Unfortunately it's a mostly useless reference, if I remember rightly -
there's too much information to really have in a book, when you
usually need to know details of what parameters are, etc. I find that
MSDN is *much* better for this. (The same is true in Java; I used to
use Java in a Nutshell until Javadocs became frame-based, and I
haven't looked back since.)
I agree -- when I'm at the computer, I use the online docs from MS (and
also agree about the Java docs). My interest was mostly in something I
could lug around, without up using several ink cartridges printing a
portable copy of own :-)

But you're also right about the amount of information they present. As
they point out in their intro, the framework class library reference
section was generated via the reflection api, so there is little
information other than the class, method, and argument names.

Still, I'm happy with it for what it intends to be. I didn't want
something from which to learn the language. In fact, it may not be a very
good book for someone just starting out with C#.
Out of interest, have they fixed the error where they claimed that
boolean (or maybe char) was a floating point type? If I remember
correctly, there really are quite a few mistakes in that book. (Not
that it's alone in that, admittedly.)


I haven't seen that error -- yet :-) In the intro chapter on basic types,
neither bool nor char are classified as floating-point types. That's such
a serious error, I'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt and
assume it is a really bad typo (which doesn't forgive it, of course).
Perhaps the error occurs later in the book...

--
harry
Nov 15 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
1488
by: hhhhhhhhh | last post by:
I am looking for a recommendation for an introductory database design book which will enable me to design my first database. It should cover the basics such as normalization and entity-relationship diagrams. If it is oriented towards MySQL, so much the better. Thank you
0
1318
by: Phil Da Lick! | last post by:
Hi all, I am about to move into programming using an xml web services model. The first thing I need to know is whether you can use them privately within a corporate LAN, or whether you need to be connected to the internet for something. Secondly I'd like a good book recommendation (I'm in the UK). The documentation online is a minefield if you aren't familiar with the whole ..net framework. I am very comfortable with C++ and the...
2
1777
by: Bruce Dodds | last post by:
I will be doing an app for a nonprofit. It would be useful for them to have a good entry-level book on Access so that they don't have to pay someone to design all their queries and reports. I'm not familiar with those books. Does anyone have a recommendation? TIA.
3
2358
by: Alan | last post by:
I got a book : C# Primer Plus, this is about the C#. I am going to learn Visual C#, another book recommendation about this specific topic ? I don't want a book repeat the C# stuffs already in my book.
6
1633
by: Christoph | last post by:
I was browsing both the Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites looking for some good books but there appears to be *so* many and it's hard to tell which are going to be good or not. I'm looking for one or two *good* books on the subjects of ASP.NET and ADO.NET together. E.g., using ASP.NET on the front end to communicate with a back end database via ADO.NET. I'm hoping to find a mid-level type of book. I've been using PHP and MySQL for...
6
1586
by: ted | last post by:
Hi, I have been programming for about 5 years mainly on client apps that are standalone and n-tier. I have very little experience with web development. I need a recommendation on a book that will get me up to speed on ASP.Net 2.0 with my experience. Any suggestions? Thanks
4
2136
by: Huy | last post by:
I am in need of a book recommendation to pick up C++ properly and elegantly. I program extensively within the Python programming language and have a decent grasp of OOP (possibly could be better) and am adept with ansi C. Would any of you have a book recommendation that goes into swift detail and clearly written? Thank you in advance.
3
1759
by: Lauren Quantrell | last post by:
After a few years of Access VBA it's time to learn C#.Net. Can anyone recommend a book that is good for someone with no experience other than VBA?
14
2371
by: At_sea_with_C | last post by:
Hello all, Im some way in C and i have to start on C++ to. I want your opinions on Teach yourself C++ in 21 days by Jessi Liberty. Can I go with it as my first book are are there better ones? Thanks to all. -- Email: The handle, (dot seperated), at gmail dot com.
0
8944
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
9303
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that captivates audiences and drives business growth. The Art of Business Website Design Your website is...
1
9233
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
8184
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then launch it, all on its own.... Now, this would greatly impact the work of software developers. The idea...
0
4546
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
0
4803
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
3258
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
2714
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
2176
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.