By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
457,903 Members | 1,593 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 457,903 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy. page: Javascript not loading

P: n/a
I posted a similar question earlier and got lots of good feedback, but
now I have more information:

Problem: I have javascript in a user control that is not "loading"
properly. When I try to call the script from my page, I get "object
not found".

Temporary Workaround: This only happens when I have "debug=true" in my
web.config. If I remove debug=true then then script works fine.

More info:
Here's the hierarchy of my entire page:

Master Page
Content Placehoder
Very large infragistics treeview

TabContainer User Control
Infragistics tab control - loads another UserControl
for each "tab"
Tab User Control
PROBLEM HERE: Script that is not loading
properly is way down here.

I can try to call a function that does "alert('hello');" and the
function is not found.
When I compile the application in release mode without debug=true, all
works fine.

What's going on?? Any ideas?? Thank you very much. I welcome all

Jul 3 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies

P: n/a
I am new to so i could be way off...
Is it possible that since performace can take a major hit when
that your control isn't yet loaded when you try to access it?
Maybe make your program wait for a sec?
Just a shot in the dark

Jul 3 '07 #2

P: n/a
Hi -

Take a look at the actual source your page is producing; is it
including the same javascript function multiple times?(once for each
instance of the control).

If so, this will also produce this error - you can't have more than
one JS function of the same name.

To get around this problem, you can either:

A) Generate the javascript dynamically, appending the ClientID to the
control after every reference of the function name (including the
function declaration)

B) Put the Javascript in a seperate file, and manually include this
file once on every page that uses your control. (do a search on client-
side includes)

Solution A is ideal if you plan on distributing the control amongst a
team or selling it. It's the better approach from a OOP point of view.
Unfortunately, by doing so, you end up with sloppy and overly verbose
HTML. Solution B) allows for cleaner output, but it might make you
scratch your head the next time you try to use this control.

You may be able to work with a third option wherein the controls
determine (through a shared variable, perhaps) whether or not there is
another control of the same type on the page, and whether or not the
client side include has already been written out, but that may be
more complicated than your project mandates.

Good Luck,


Jul 3 '07 #3

P: n/a
Awesome suggestions. Yep, I've tried all that.

Most code is in external files. The code that does not work is in the
page (user control) since it references page elements. I don't think
I have multiple copies of the functions loading since it fails on the
first time through.

.... And why would this only happen when compiled with debug mode ==

The only thing I'm embarrased to say that I haven't tried yet is to
view the actual source. "View source" will not work since this is all
in UpdatePanels and Infragistics tabs. I'll need to download
"Fiddler" to look at the data coming back.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jul 3 '07 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.