469,927 Members | 1,654 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,927 developers. It's quick & easy.

W3WP process restarting after one minute

The problem we are having is with the worker process restarting after
one minute of being started up. We had a website running in .Net 1.1
and switched it over to .Net 2.0. The site is running on a W2003
machine w/ IIS6 with 4GB Ram.

We have it running in it's own Application Pool with no other websites.
The settings we have are:

- Recycle worker process after 1440 Minutes
- Shut down worker proecess after being idle for 20 minutes
- Enable pinging = false
- Enable Rapid Fail Protection = false

I'm looking for any direction to look/try.

I have tried making a minimal asp .net website (just one page that does
a Response.Write("")) with the default settings in web.config and the
worker process does not restart. If I move over the web.config from
the problem site to the test site, the worker process will react in the
same manner by restarting after approximately one minute. There is no
traffic during this period. I basically hit the site once, and let the
worker process start. Then I wait, and 100% of the time it will
restart. I know it is not a problem with memory are doing this will
only use about 20MB of Ram.

I have tried removing sections from the web.config until it is down to
the least amount of information I can and it still restarts.
Here is what I have when I say "least amount of information" in
web.config.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
</appSettings>
<system.web>
<httpModules>
<compilation debug="false">
</compilation>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<authentication mode="Windows">
</authentication>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Any help is appreciated

Apr 2 '06 #1
9 3184
On 2 Apr 2006 10:45:26 -0700, wo**********@gmail.com wrote:
The problem we are having is with the worker process restarting after
one minute of being started up. We had a website running in .Net 1.1
and switched it over to .Net 2.0. The site is running on a W2003
machine w/ IIS6 with 4GB Ram.

We have it running in it's own Application Pool with no other websites.
The settings we have are:

- Recycle worker process after 1440 Minutes
- Shut down worker proecess after being idle for 20 minutes
- Enable pinging = false
- Enable Rapid Fail Protection = false

I'm looking for any direction to look/try.


What do you see in the Event Viewer that corresponds to this restart?
Anything?

Jim
Jim Cheshire
Jimco Software
http://www.jimcosoftware.com
Add-ins for Microsoft FrontPage

Author of
Special Edition Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
Apr 2 '06 #2
A very non descript error that I was getting previously when some
exceptions were being thrown. I managed to get rid of the exceptions
which I know can quickly take down the worker process and the app pool.
The only thing I can think is that there is some hidden exception that
I'm not seeing.

I know there is an article written on how to supress this error (or to
give more detail if Visual Studio is installed). I don't remember the
msdn article off the top of my head, but I don't necessarily want to
supress it. I would like to find out what it is if possible.

Here is the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/31/2006
Time: 11:15:29 AM
User: N/A
Computer: FOGHORN
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version : 2.0.50727.42 -
Application ErrorApplication has generated an exception that could not
be handled.

Process ID=0x1224 (4644), Thread ID=0x13a4 (5028).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application..

Apr 2 '06 #3
On 2 Apr 2006 15:06:29 -0700, wo**********@gmail.com wrote:

I know there is an article written on how to supress this error (or to
give more detail if Visual Studio is installed). I don't remember the
msdn article off the top of my head, but I don't necessarily want to
supress it. I would like to find out what it is if possible.

Here is the error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/31/2006
Time: 11:15:29 AM
User: N/A
Computer: FOGHORN
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version : 2.0.50727.42 -
Application ErrorApplication has generated an exception that could not
be handled.

Process ID=0x1224 (4644), Thread ID=0x13a4 (5028).


You're going to have to dump the process when this problem happens to
see what's causing it. The fastest way to solve this is going to be to
open a case with Microsoft PSS and have them walk you through getting
a dump. That can then be analyzed for the source of this problem.

Jim
Jim Cheshire
Jimco Software
http://www.jimcosoftware.com
Add-ins for Microsoft FrontPage

Author of
Special Edition Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
Apr 3 '06 #4

Hello Dean,

The best way to diagnose the problem would be to use Windbg and SOS
extension to create the dump and analyze the dump file.

Good resource: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286350

Hope this helps!

"wo**********@gmail.com" wrote:
The problem we are having is with the worker process restarting after
one minute of being started up. We had a website running in .Net 1.1
and switched it over to .Net 2.0. The site is running on a W2003
machine w/ IIS6 with 4GB Ram.

We have it running in it's own Application Pool with no other websites.
The settings we have are:

- Recycle worker process after 1440 Minutes
- Shut down worker proecess after being idle for 20 minutes
- Enable pinging = false
- Enable Rapid Fail Protection = false

I'm looking for any direction to look/try.

I have tried making a minimal asp .net website (just one page that does
a Response.Write("")) with the default settings in web.config and the
worker process does not restart. If I move over the web.config from
the problem site to the test site, the worker process will react in the
same manner by restarting after approximately one minute. There is no
traffic during this period. I basically hit the site once, and let the
worker process start. Then I wait, and 100% of the time it will
restart. I know it is not a problem with memory are doing this will
only use about 20MB of Ram.

I have tried removing sections from the web.config until it is down to
the least amount of information I can and it still restarts.
Here is what I have when I say "least amount of information" in
web.config.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
</appSettings>
<system.web>
<httpModules>
<compilation debug="false">
</compilation>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<authentication mode="Windows">
</authentication>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Any help is appreciated

Apr 4 '06 #5
Thanks for the help. I'll give this a try.

Diffident wrote:
Hello Dean,

The best way to diagnose the problem would be to use Windbg and SOS
extension to create the dump and analyze the dump file.

Good resource: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286350

Hope this helps!


Apr 4 '06 #6
On 4 Apr 2006 06:01:09 -0700, wo**********@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'll give this a try.

Diffident wrote:
Hello Dean,

The best way to diagnose the problem would be to use Windbg and SOS
extension to create the dump and analyze the dump file.

Good resource: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286350

Hope this helps!


Dean,

Keep in mind that the above article only tells you how to get a dump
with adplus. It doesn't tell you what to do with it once you get it.

If you want a resource on how to debug it, you can check my blog at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jamesche. I have links in my blog to walkthrough
documentation.

Jim
Apr 4 '06 #7

Hello Jim,

I have gone through your website for the articles which can help debug using
Adplus? Which articles exactly would you want me to go through for debugging
documentation?

Is it "Digging into Objects" posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 3:30 PM.
Or do you have any other posts that talk about debugging using ADPlus in
particular?

Thank you!!

"Jim Cheshire" wrote:
On 4 Apr 2006 06:01:09 -0700, wo**********@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the help. I'll give this a try.

Diffident wrote:
Hello Dean,

The best way to diagnose the problem would be to use Windbg and SOS
extension to create the dump and analyze the dump file.

Good resource: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q286350

Hope this helps!


Dean,

Keep in mind that the above article only tells you how to get a dump
with adplus. It doesn't tell you what to do with it once you get it.

If you want a resource on how to debug it, you can check my blog at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jamesche. I have links in my blog to walkthrough
documentation.

Jim

Apr 4 '06 #8
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 06:46:03 -0700, Diffident
<Di*******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Hello Jim,

I have gone through your website for the articles which can help debug using
Adplus? Which articles exactly would you want me to go through for debugging
documentation?

Is it "Digging into Objects" posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 3:30 PM.
Or do you have any other posts that talk about debugging using ADPlus in
particular?


I have links in my blog to the PAG documents on production debugging.

Jim
Apr 4 '06 #9
For those of you seeing this type of problem, it appears to come down
to exceptions that are thrown way down the line. .Net 1.1 was very
kind in surpressing exceptions and keeping things running. Of course,
as we all know, exceptions are very costly. .Net 2.0 no longer just
supresses these exceptions and takes the stance that it is better to
restart the worker process than to take down an entire server.

Specifically our problem is with exceptions that are thrown in
Cachecallbacks. The cachecallbacks (or the function that the
cachecallback calls) have the necessary try/catch blocks, but with .Net
2.0, these exceptions can still take down your worker process. Once I
have a change to dig in to what exact exceptions are causing this
problem, I will reply here. For now, I am disabling the cachecallbacks
that are causing the problem.

Thanks for the help again.

Apr 7 '06 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

1 post views Thread by Louis | last post: by
15 posts views Thread by z. f. | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by ALI-R | last post: by
reply views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?bWV0YWxsaWNpdGU=?= | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Anand Saha | last post: by
10 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?= | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.