By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
425,563 Members | 1,066 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 425,563 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

T-Sql debugging and site compilation problems

P: n/a
I don't know if these two problems are related or if they're independent.

In moving my site to a production server I discovered that I had enabled T-SQL debugging and forgotten to turn it off (I'm deploying
the debug version on the production server to continue doing some "real world" testing). Because my hosting company doesn't grant
debugging permissions on their instance of SqlServer this prevented connections from being created. No problem, I just turned off
Sql debugging for my site, re-built, re-published and I'm okay.

Or thought I was okay. I later discovered that the same error was being thrown by a support library I'd written in .NET2 (the site
uses the support library). I checked the support library, confirmed that Sql debugging support was off (at least, I think I did),
and rebuilt the library.

I switched back to the site, recompiled it (which I had to do by manually editing a file to force VS2005 to agree that, yes, the
project needed to be rebuilt -- why did MS get rid of the Rebuild Solution menu option?)...and ran into the same problem.

So I figured maybe the reference to the support library didn't get updated. I know that's supposed to happen automatically, but I've
seen weirder things happen in VS2005.

So I deleted the reference to the support library and then added it back in.

Only now the site won't compile because it claims it can't find any of the classes defined in the support library!

I've confirmed that VS2005 can see the support library through Object Browser.

Why the heck can't the support library be linked in???

- Mark
Feb 8 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
The solution has two parts:

1) The support library wouldn't link in -- but was visible in Object Browser -- because I accidentally referenced the debug version
of the support library when I had earlier referenced the release version. I think it's odd that this didn't get flagged, but it
clearly was my mistake.

2) Because I was debugging a MembershipProvider, I had attached to the local server instance that was hosting the ASPNET
Configuration tool. By default, attaching to processes automatically determines what debugging modes to use, so TSQL debugging got
"selected" even when I had configured the website to not use TSQL debugging. The solution is to manually select the debugging modes
when before you attach.

- Mark
Feb 9 '06 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.