471,072 Members | 1,390 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,072 software developers and data experts.

Event 1084 ASPNET Insufficient Rights

Hello All,

ASP.NET has stopped working on my development server. I've read the
various posts re this subject, but my circumstances seem unique. I
need to know what causes the problem and how to remedy it. If possible
I would prefer not to rebuild the server, as the SQL setup is quite
involved, and I'd prefer not to add the ASPNET account to the local
administrators group since that defeats the point of having the ASPNET
account.

Here goes:

Environment:

- Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 4
- SQL 2000 Server Developer Edition Service Pack 3
- IIS
- Dot Net Framework 1.1
- Server built December 2004
- ASP.NET was tested and proved working in December but has not been
used in anger until now.

Evidence of not working:

A very simple web service is installed on the server. Typing the
following in IE on the local server
http://localhost/helloworld/hello.asmx
returns the following in the browser:
---
Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this
specific request failure can be found in the application event log of
the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused
this error to occur.
---

Every 30 seconds after I request the initial web page I get the
following event 1084 in the event log logged as an error - even though
I make no further ASP.NET page requests. Note that no other events are
logged; only event 1084. Note also the failure code:

---
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80070545. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
---

Other pertinent info:

Although I am a domain administrator and a local administrator, I do
not have rights to look at domain security policy, so I cant tell
whether say a restrictive password policy is in effect that causes the
problem.

In the local security policy console of the server, ASPNET has the log
on as a batch job right, but the "effective" column is not ticked, so
does the account have the logon as a batch job or not and if not, is
it likely that domain security policy has cancelled this right.

IT Support have blocked access to Windows Update so I cant tell if
there is a service pack download due for the .NET Framework 1.1.

IT Support say they do not have the time to investigate this problem,
and I have been told to investigate the problem on my own.

Unsuccessful remedies tried:

- Rebooting. A reboot stops the event 1084's, but presumably ASP.NET
is not loaded/initialised until the first ASP.NET page request is
made. When the first request is made, event 1084 is logged and
thereafter, every 30 seconds.

- The ASPNET account did not explicitly have full control permission
to the temporary asp.net files folder; it now does and that change
made no difference.

Any offers of help greatly appreciated.
Ian.
Nov 19 '05 #1
2 3512
I forgot to mention that I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe -i and that made
no difference.
Maybe I should try deleting the ASPNET account then running
aspnet_regiis.exe -i ?

Nov 19 '05 #2
We have two servers affected by this problem, both are member servers
not domain controllers.

Yes, for reasons no one is prepared to admit to, the default domain
security policy had been changed so that some user-rights required by
the ASPNET account that were OK on the member server were being
overriden and denied by settings in the default domain policy. Working
with IT Support, the ASPNET account has been explicitly added to every
required user-right. The local security settings now show the
"effective settings" ticked for each required right.

After the domain policy was modified, and time allowed for replication
and application), on one server I uninstalled ASP.NET, rebooted,
installed ASP.NET, tested, rebooted tested again - problem solved.

However, I tried the above steps on the second affected server, and
they have not resolved the problem. I have also tried to add the
ASPNET account to the local Administrators account with the remove
ASP.NET, reboot, install ASP.NET, test, reboot test again steps and
the problem remains unresolved.
Nov 19 '05 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

5 posts views Thread by Carlo Marchesoni | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Anatoly | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by R Millman | last post: by
19 posts views Thread by Heidi Hundåla | last post: by
29 posts views Thread by Patrick | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Alvin | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Shimon Sim | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by Marcelo Cabrera | last post: by
1 post views Thread by RedLars | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.