By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,130 Members | 2,141 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,130 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects

P: n/a
Hello!

I'm trying to setup an ASP.NET multiple web projects application, following the article How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development. I could do it without any trouble, but when I put this solution on Visual Source Safe, my nigthmare begins....

Always when I open this solution, VS.NET tries to open the web projects on different places (<original name> followed by "_1", "_2", ...). Has anyone got any sucess doing this kind of thing?

Thanks

ps. My projects resides in a folder that's not "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". Actually, it's a folder located at "C:\VSSBASE". This is a pattern used where I work..., so I'd like not been changing it... I used to work with simple web projects without problems.
Nov 18 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
The three important steps I've taken were to :

1) Put the web project in a subdirectory of the sln file.
2) Add the web project to source control with the IDE (File -> Source
Control -> Add Solution to Source Control).
3) When opening the project for the first time, use File -> Source
Control -> Open from source control. I also would precreate the
virtual directory in IIS for the web project and point it to the
physical directory where I wanted the project to live.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:52:39 -0300, "Galore" <ga****@ig.com.br> wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying to setup an ASP.NET multiple web projects application, following the article How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development. I could do it without any trouble, but when I put this solution on Visual Source Safe, my nigthmare begins....

Always when I open this solution, VS.NET tries to open the web projects on different places (<original name> followed by "_1", "_2", ...). Has anyone got any sucess doing this kind of thing?

Thanks

ps. My projects resides in a folder that's not "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". Actually, it's a folder located at "C:\VSSBASE". This is a pattern used where I work..., so I'd like not been changing it... I used to work with simple web projects without problems.


Nov 18 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,

But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
from VSS into a new directory?

I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
allow) the custom mapping.

Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Danny

"Scott Allen" wrote:
The three important steps I've taken were to :

1) Put the web project in a subdirectory of the sln file.
2) Add the web project to source control with the IDE (File -> Source
Control -> Add Solution to Source Control).
3) When opening the project for the first time, use File -> Source
Control -> Open from source control. I also would precreate the
virtual directory in IIS for the web project and point it to the
physical directory where I wanted the project to live.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:52:39 -0300, "Galore" <ga****@ig.com.br> wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying to setup an ASP.NET multiple web projects application, following the article How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development. I could do it without any trouble, but when I put this solution on Visual Source Safe, my nigthmare begins....

Always when I open this solution, VS.NET tries to open the web projects on different places (<original name> followed by "_1", "_2", ...). Has anyone got any sucess doing this kind of thing?

Thanks

ps. My projects resides in a folder that's not "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". Actually, it's a folder located at "C:\VSSBASE". This is a pattern used where I work..., so I'd like not been changing it... I used to work with simple web projects without problems.


Nov 19 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi Danny:

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:43:05 -0800, Danny Miller
<Da*********@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,

But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
from VSS into a new directory?

I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
allow) the custom mapping.

Hope to hear from you.


It's a huge pain in the butt - thanks to Visual Studios tight coupling
with IIS.

I have a build engine that pulls the source code, creates a virtual
directory, and generates a .webinfo file to let Visual Studio know
where to look for the project.

I also added a devenv <project> /runexit step, as that seems to help
VS.NET synch some internal setting to point to the right project and
vdir, once that step is complete i can do a build.

Not sure if I am making any sense - I try not to think about what a
pain this is and just hope 2.0 comes soon so I can forget about it.

P.S. the MS solution is to always pull source into the same directory
structure and vdir - then build - then copy it all out to an archive
spot.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
Nov 19 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.