By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,750 Members | 1,471 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,750 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Method POST not working

P: n/a
Here is the link of the website
http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

I have been told to change only the form action part of this site.which is
to "response.asp"
Here the method POST is not working,and I dont know how to solve this
problem

I have tried making my own sample. asp page with 4 textareas as in
YourThoughts.asp,and also I have kept the textarea name and ID same as that.

My sample asp is working perfectly fine,in my page method POST is working. I
need to insert content of textarea in database,

But in YourThoughts.asp nothing is being inserted in database .after
clicking the submit button, the page just redirects to response.asp.

Please please help me, how to solve this problem.
Thank You

Jul 15 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
11 Replies


P: n/a
I forgot to add,is it because YourThoughts.asp have multiple forms,but as far
as I know ASP can have multiple form,also I tried deleting the form "which I
am not suppose to as they dont want any changes in their website" but still
the problem persist.

Please do reply!!!!!!!!

Thank You

"BLUESTAR" wrote:
Here is the link of the website
http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

I have been told to change only the form action part of this site.which is
to "response.asp"
Here the method POST is not working,and I dont know how to solve this
problem

I have tried making my own sample. asp page with 4 textareas as in
YourThoughts.asp,and also I have kept the textarea name and ID same as that.

My sample asp is working perfectly fine,in my page method POST is working. I
need to insert content of textarea in database,

But in YourThoughts.asp nothing is being inserted in database .after
clicking the submit button, the page just redirects to response.asp.

Please please help me, how to solve this problem.
Thank You
Jul 15 '08 #2

P: n/a

"BLUESTAR" <BL******@discussions.microsoft.comwrote in message
news:4A**********************************@microsof t.com...
Here is the link of the website
http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

I have been told to change only the form action part of this site.which is
to "response.asp"
Here the method POST is not working,and I dont know how to solve this
problem

I have tried making my own sample. asp page with 4 textareas as in
YourThoughts.asp,and also I have kept the textarea name and ID same as
that.

My sample asp is working perfectly fine,in my page method POST is working.
I
need to insert content of textarea in database,

But in YourThoughts.asp nothing is being inserted in database .after
clicking the submit button, the page just redirects to response.asp.

Please please help me, how to solve this problem.
Thank You
Since this group deals with asp (which runs on the server and is not
accessible via the browser) perhaps you should post the code that you are
trying to "get to work" and explain the symptoms that lead you to believe it
"is not working".

--
Mike Brind
MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Jul 15 '08 #3

P: n/a
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????
Jul 15 '08 #4

P: n/a
"BLUESTAR" wrote:
I forgot to add,is it because YourThoughts.asp have multiple forms,but as far
as I know ASP can have multiple form
Nothing to do with ASP. HTML allows as many <FORMtags on a page as you
want. Only restriction is that they CAN NOT be nested (you can't have a
<FORMtag *inside* another <FORM>....</FORMrange).

And *ONLY* the <FORMthat is actually submitted by the user will be posted
to the ACTION= specified in that one <FORM>. All other forms are ignored.

This is true whether you are using ASP or PHP or JSP or even just using a
<FORMto go to another HTML page.

As Mike said, no code, no help. We can't read your mind.
Jul 15 '08 #5

P: n/a

Okay somehow I have solved the error,but now i am stuck in new error.

this is the response.asp code
<%
Set db=Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
db.Open "DSN=mysurvey;"
strDate=Date()
for i=1 to 4
res=Request.Form("Your Thoughts Q"&i)
sSQL = "INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,Date) "
sSQL=sSQL & " VALUES ( '"
sSQL=sSQL & i & "','"
sSQL=sSQL & res & "','"
sSQL=sSQL & strDate & "')"
db.Execute sSQL
Next
db.Close
Response.Write ("Your data has been successfully send.Thanks for your
response!!!")

%>
this the link of the website from where data will be stored in database.
http://www.smartcharlotte2050.com/YourThoughts.asp

The error I am getting

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO
statement.
/testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 13

* Browser Type:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16)
Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16

* Page:
POST 93 bytes to /testasp/SurveyResponse.asp

* POST Data:

Your+Thoughts+Q1=gf&Your+Thoughts+Q2=dd&Your+Thoug hts+Q3=cc&Your+Thoughts+Q4=bb&Submit=Submit

* Time:
Wednesday, July 16, 2008,

I have even tried the following,but problem persist.

In IE, turn off the "Friendly HTTP error messages" by choosing tools -
internet options - advanced. The full error messages as well as the line
number of the error will then be displayed.
Thanks Again for your support

"Old Pedant" wrote:
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????

Jul 16 '08 #6

P: n/a

one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine and
even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql server 2005.but
when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i will have use Access
only..no escape.

i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no where am
i wrong
"Old Pedant" wrote:
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????

Jul 16 '08 #7

P: n/a
BLUESTAR wrote:
Okay somehow I have solved the error,but now i am stuck in new error.

this is the response.asp code
<%
Set db=Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
db.Open "DSN=mysurvey;"
strDate=Date()
for i=1 to 4
res=Request.Form("Your Thoughts Q"&i)
sSQL = "INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,Date) "
sSQL=sSQL & " VALUES ( '"
sSQL=sSQL & i & "','"
sSQL=sSQL & res & "','"
sSQL=sSQL & strDate & "')"
db.Execute sSQL
Next
db.Close
Response.Write ("Your data has been successfully send.Thanks for your
response!!!")

%>
<snip>
* Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in
INSERT INTO statement.
/testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 13
You cannot debug a sql statement without knowing what it is. Insert the
following before the Execute statement:

'***********comment out when finished debugging*******
Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
Response.End
'***********comment out when finished debugging*******

Run the page and look at the resulting sql statement. The error should
stick out like a sore thumb. If not post it here.

Further points to consider:
Your use of dynamic sql is leaving you vulnerable to hackers using sql
injection:
http://mvp.unixwiz.net/techtips/sql-injection.html
http://www.sqlsecurity.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=23

See here for a better, more secure way to execute your queries by using
parameter markers (tokens):
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e36562fee7804e

Personally, I prefer using stored procedures, or saved parameter queries
as they are known in Access:

Access:
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...TNGP12.phx.gbl

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...tngp13.phx.gbl

SQL Server:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...09dc1701?hl=en

>
I have even tried the following,but problem persist.

In IE, turn off the "Friendly HTTP error messages" by choosing tools -
internet options - advanced. The full error messages as well as the
line number of the error will then be displayed.
Friendly Errors was already disabled
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
Jul 16 '08 #8

P: n/a

thanks for reply

but after adding Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
Response.End

I am getting this
INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,todaydate) VALUES ( '1','s','7/16/2008')
but i have used for loop which will insert 4 datas,but here i am showed only
one.

so what do you think ,my INSERT query is correct?????
but nothing is being inserted in database.
my problem is i am not use to Microsoft Access,

Please do reply

Thanks
"BLUESTAR" wrote:
>
one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine and
even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql server 2005.but
when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i will have use Access
only..no escape.

i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no where am
i wrong
"Old Pedant" wrote:
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????
Jul 16 '08 #9

P: n/a

Now I am getting this error
rror Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
query.
/testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 16

line 16 is db.Execute sSQL

"BLUESTAR" wrote:
>
thanks for reply

but after adding Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
Response.End

I am getting this
INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,todaydate) VALUES ( '1','s','7/16/2008')
but i have used for loop which will insert 4 datas,but here i am showed only
one.

so what do you think ,my INSERT query is correct?????
but nothing is being inserted in database.
my problem is i am not use to Microsoft Access,

Please do reply

Thanks
"BLUESTAR" wrote:

one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine and
even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql server 2005.but
when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i will have use Access
only..no escape.

i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no where am
i wrong
"Old Pedant" wrote:
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????
>
>
Jul 16 '08 #10

P: n/a
No, assuming todaydate is a date/time field and not a Text field, it is
not correct. In Access, date literals need to be delimited by #, not '.
You should read my links and parameterize this statement. Not only will
that make you immune to sql injection, but it will also allow you to
forget about delimiters.

BLUESTAR wrote:
thanks for reply

but after adding Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
Response.End

I am getting this
INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,todaydate) VALUES (
'1','s','7/16/2008') but i have used for loop which will insert 4
datas,but here i am showed only one.

so what do you think ,my INSERT query is correct?????
but nothing is being inserted in database.
my problem is i am not use to Microsoft Access,

Please do reply

Thanks
"BLUESTAR" wrote:
>>
one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine
and even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql
server 2005.but when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i
will have use Access only..no escape.

i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no
where am i wrong
"Old Pedant" wrote:
>>So where is the code for "response.asp"?????
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
Jul 16 '08 #11

P: n/a

Problem solved!!!
Thanks
"BLUESTAR" wrote:
>
Now I am getting this error
rror Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable
query.
/testasp/SurveyResponse.asp, line 16

line 16 is db.Execute sSQL

"BLUESTAR" wrote:

thanks for reply

but after adding Response.Write sSQL & "<BR>"
Response.End

I am getting this
INSERT INTO survey (ID,Response,todaydate) VALUES ( '1','s','7/16/2008')
but i have used for loop which will insert 4 datas,but here i am showed only
one.

so what do you think ,my INSERT query is correct?????
but nothing is being inserted in database.
my problem is i am not use to Microsoft Access,

Please do reply

Thanks
"BLUESTAR" wrote:
>
one more thing to add,the insert statement is working perfectly fine and
even response.asp is working correctly when i run it in sql server 2005.but
when i used Access 2007 the problem occurs.and i will have use Access
only..no escape.
>
i have configured my connection string same as before,but i don no where am
i wrong
"Old Pedant" wrote:
>
So where is the code for "response.asp"?????
Jul 16 '08 #12

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.