By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,532 Members | 1,514 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,532 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

How to avoid warning message when using Scripting.FileSystemObject

P: n/a
Hi there,

I am writing a web app using asp.net 1.1 and C#. This web app is launched in
another win32 application and this app needs to pass information to my web
app. But this win32 application doesn't support long string(Maximum 255),
which gives me problem passing information longer than 255 through
querystring. So I have to use an intermedia plain file and in my web app,
using Scripting.FileSystemObject to open the file and read the information
in. Each time when I launch the web page, I got a warning message saying "An
ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of
the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?" Users need to click "Yes"
to proceed. I am pretty sure this is caused by using
Scripting.FileSystemObject.

All applications run in Intranet environment within a corporate network. My
question are "Can I avoid this error message?" and "Can I give permission to
my particular web app to run Scripting.FileSystemObject?"

Would appreciate your help very much.

Mike
Nov 17 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
VancouverMike wrote:
Hi there,

I am writing a web app using asp.net 1.1 and C#.
There was no way for you to know it (except maybe by browsing through
some of the previous questions before posting yours - always a
recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.
There are also forums at www.asp.net where you can find a lot of people
to help you.

Having said that, if you are using that FileSystemObject in server-side
code, then the message your users are seeing has nothing to do with it.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
Nov 17 '06 #2

P: n/a
Hi Mike,

SInce the application is running in the corporate network, you may add your
web site to client's "trusted site" (IE/Tools/Internet options/Security).
Then, decrease the security level of it. For example, you can enable all
options in "ActiveX controls and plug-ins", and this will disable the
dialog with you call the script.

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Nov 20 '06 #3

P: n/a
Thank Bob and Luke for your help. Sorry that I didn't realize this place is
for classic ASP topics. I will post my future postings to the correct place.

We have tried to include my site to be in the "Trusted Site" but I am not
sure if our administrator has decrease the security level for Local Intranet
to allow ActiveX Controls and Plug-in to run. My concern is that once we open
the door for all ActiveX Controls to run, we may worry about some malicious
controls to harm our environment. Is there any fine tuning in terms of which
ActiveX control for which site can be run?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Mike

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Mike,

SInce the application is running in the corporate network, you may add your
web site to client's "trusted site" (IE/Tools/Internet options/Security).
Then, decrease the security level of it. For example, you can enable all
options in "ActiveX controls and plug-ins", and this will disable the
dialog with you call the script.

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Nov 20 '06 #4

P: n/a
Hi Mike,

This is why we need to add the site to the "trusted site". The activex
permission is only opened for sites in "trusted site". Since you are the
developer of the web site and you can ensure your site doesn't contains any
malicious controls. Your users will trust you and add the site and adjust
the security setting for "trusted sites".

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Nov 21 '06 #5

P: n/a
Thanks Luke. That makes sense.

Mike

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Mike,

This is why we need to add the site to the "trusted site". The activex
permission is only opened for sites in "trusted site". Since you are the
developer of the web site and you can ensure your site doesn't contains any
malicious controls. Your users will trust you and add the site and adjust
the security setting for "trusted sites".

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.
==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Nov 21 '06 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.