By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
425,600 Members | 1,666 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 425,600 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Search Engine Listings

P: n/a
MDW
Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
folks will be able to provide some guidance.

I've been working on a Web site for a business (my first non-personal site)
and I want to help my client get the best search engine listing. Because this
is my first for-profit site, I'm not sure what I need to do for optimal
search engine placement. I've been poking around the Web, and I think I have
a good start, but there are a few questions still remaining:

1) What do I need to do in order to actually GET a page listed in a search
engine to begin with? Do I contact the search engines somehow, or are the
listings somehow updated automatically.

2) I've seen tips that advise putting meta keywords, etc., on EVERY page on
the site. However, we want users to only come to the site via the "front
door" - the index page. I don't see much reason to put a bunch of keywords on
a page that might be the third part of an application process - coming to the
site on that page would cause visitors to be confused. If I limited the
search engine keywords to just the index page, would that hurt the listing?

--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
Jul 21 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a

MDW wrote:
Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
folks will be able to provide some guidance.
How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?

--
Mike Brind

Jul 21 '06 #2

P: n/a
MDW
Well, server-side programming is generally done by Web developers...within
that population, I would presume that some of them have worked on public,
commercial Web sites....and it didn't seem far off to guess that at least
some of that number have experience with search engines.

However, if you can point me to the "microsoft.public.search-engines" board,
I'll be happy to post my question there.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
"Mike Brind" wrote:
>
MDW wrote:
Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
folks will be able to provide some guidance.

How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?

--
Mike Brind

Jul 21 '06 #3

P: n/a
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:09:01 -0500, MDW <MD*@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
I've been working on a Web site for a business (my first non-personal
site) and I want to help my client get the best search engine listing.
You can use Poodle Predictor to get an idea of how your site looks to a
search engine. If the site isn't navigable with that, you probably won't
see very good results regardless of the relevance of your site's
content.

http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go

Also, look into the Web Accessibility Initiative's guidelines. If you
follow them, you tend to get a spider-friendly site in addition to the
obvious advantages.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/
1) What do I need to do in order to actually GET a page listed in a
search engine to begin with? Do I contact the search engines somehow,
or are the listings somehow updated automatically.
Search engines can usually discover new sites on their own if there is a
link from an existing site that they are indexing, but I think you'll
find it more expedient to use their submission process. I've included
links for the forms for Google, Yahoo and MSN. For other search engines,
you can usually find it on their "About" or "Contact" pages.

http://www.google.com/addurl/
http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx?FORM=WSDD2
2) I've seen tips that advise putting meta keywords, etc., on EVERY
page on the site. However, we want users to only come to the site via
the "front door" - the index page. I don't see much reason to put a
bunch of keywords on a page that might be the third part of an
application process - coming to the site on that page would cause
visitors to be confused. If I limited the search engine keywords to
just the index page, would that hurt the listing?
I'm not aware of any search engine that takes meta keywords into
consideration. They were heavily abused pretty much from inception.
Unless you want to use them internally in some capacity, there's really
no reason to put them on any page, let alone every page.

I would also suggest that you consider carefully where to employ the
requirement that visitors arrive by way of the "front door". The third
page of an application form probably doesn't need to be indexed, but
obviously the more of your pages that are known by a search engine, the
more likely it will be that one of them will have the information your
visitors are looking for.

--
Justin Piper
Bizco Technologies
http://www.bizco.com/
Jul 21 '06 #4

P: n/a
Taking that line of argument to its logical extension will lead to
people posting questions about pensions. I mean, some web developers
must have a pension, right?

I find Google a useful resource, especially Google Groups. A search
for 'search engine' immediately threw up this group:
alt.internet.search-engines, which seems quite busy...

--
Mike Brind

MDW wrote:
Well, server-side programming is generally done by Web developers...within
that population, I would presume that some of them have worked on public,
commercial Web sites....and it didn't seem far off to guess that at least
some of that number have experience with search engines.

However, if you can point me to the "microsoft.public.search-engines" board,
I'll be happy to post my question there.
--
Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
"Mike Brind" wrote:

MDW wrote:
Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
folks will be able to provide some guidance.
>
How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?

--
Mike Brind
Jul 21 '06 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.