469,336 Members | 5,494 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,336 developers. It's quick & easy.

No of users ?

PW

Hi,

I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I tell the
number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them ?

Thanks,
PW

May 27 '06 #1
8 1155

"PW" <pw***@SPAMbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Hi,

I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I tell the
number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them
?


Depends on how you authenticate. Do you have them anonymously access the
site? Or do you use a database login? Or do you use clear text
authentication?

--
compatible web farm Session replacement for Asp and Asp.Net
http://www.nieropwebconsult.nl/asp_session_manager.htm

May 27 '06 #2
PW wrote:
Hi,

I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I
tell the number of users currently logged on, and can I get any
details about them ?
Thanks,
PW

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
May 27 '06 #3
Hi,

You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
text file or in database.

Its so simple. right :)

May 27 '06 #4
vicky wrote:
Hi,

You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
text file or in database.

Its so simple. right :)


wrong

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
May 27 '06 #5
Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
vicky wrote:
Hi,

You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get
user's session id and check for it when the page is called, if its
different then increment the variable's value. then you can keep
that value in a text file or in database.

Its so simple. right :)


wrong

Oops, forgot to add the smiley
:-)

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
May 27 '06 #6
Hi Bob,

Can you tell me why is it wrong???

Vicky

:-)

May 29 '06 #7
vicky wrote:
Can you tell me why is it wrong???


Because sessions are stateless.

Since they are stateless, you have no idea when a user leaves the site, so
there is no realistic way to ACCURATELY measure the number of users
"currently logged in".


--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms.
May 29 '06 #8
vicky wrote:
Hi Bob,

Can you tell me why is it wrong???

Vicky

:-)


The article I cited in my first reply explains it. Dave did it in fewer
words, but that's the point that makes it harder than simply storing the
data in application.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
May 29 '06 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by zsh-users-help | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Hannu | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by Andy Davis | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Vayse | last post: by
9 posts views Thread by Jonathan Wood | last post: by
reply views Thread by suresh191 | last post: by
reply views Thread by Marylou17 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Marylou17 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.