469,631 Members | 1,517 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,631 developers. It's quick & easy.

Problem Logging into ASP Web using Interdev on XP Home.

Hi all,
I got a new computer that is running XP Home, and is to be used for the
family as well as for me to do some work from home. I want to keep XP Home,
but I am having a problem getting Visual Interdev to connect to any
FrontPage Webs. I get an error 401 on the IIS Logs, and in interdev, I just
get the login prompt, until it tells me that I'm not authorized to view the
web.

I've searched the web, and can find no reason why this shouldn't work, is
there some setting I need to set?

Thanks
Lance
Apr 5 '06 #1
16 2027
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:18:37 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
Hi all,
I got a new computer that is running XP Home, and is to be used for the
family as well as for me to do some work from home. I want to keep XP Home,
but I am having a problem getting Visual Interdev to connect to any
FrontPage Webs. I get an error 401 on the IIS Logs, and in interdev, I just
get the login prompt, until it tells me that I'm not authorized to view the
web.

I've searched the web, and can find no reason why this shouldn't work, is
there some setting I need to set?

Thanks
Lance


It's more likely a setting that you can't change: simple file sharing
which is microsoft's way of saying you can't share anything the way
you're accustomed to. Simple file sharing is the default with XP Home
and believe it or not it's an option in XP Pro but not to worry - you
won't be able to do a thing about it if you're unlucky enough to be
stuck with Home edition. :-(

Live and learn...

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 5 '06 #2
Thanks for the reply,
Let me clarify. The IIS Server is running on a Win 2000 box, (Not on XP
Home) I am only using XP Home as a client running Interdev. I can connect
to password protected pages fine from IE, just not from Interdev. Is this
caused by XP Home's File Sharing method?

Lance

"Stefan Berglund" <so**************@for.me> wrote in message
news:9g********************************@4ax.com...
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:18:37 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
Hi all,
I got a new computer that is running XP Home, and is to be used for the
family as well as for me to do some work from home. I want to keep XP
Home,
but I am having a problem getting Visual Interdev to connect to any
FrontPage Webs. I get an error 401 on the IIS Logs, and in interdev, I
just
get the login prompt, until it tells me that I'm not authorized to view the
web.

I've searched the web, and can find no reason why this shouldn't work, is
there some setting I need to set?

Thanks
Lance


It's more likely a setting that you can't change: simple file sharing
which is microsoft's way of saying you can't share anything the way
you're accustomed to. Simple file sharing is the default with XP Home
and believe it or not it's an option in XP Pro but not to worry - you
won't be able to do a thing about it if you're unlucky enough to be
stuck with Home edition. :-(

Live and learn...

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no
conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 5 '06 #3
On the Win 2000 box, you may create a user with same name and password as
on your windows xp home computer, and then add it to the administrator
group on the Win 2000, will this help the problem?

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)

Apr 6 '06 #4
Hmm, that may work, I'll need to wait until morning to test it though. The
2000 box is on an NT Domain though, so it will add a level of non-conformity
to have a local user on the box, (All other users are domain users).
If this is the only solution, I may just upgrade to XP Pro.
"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" <lu******@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:28**************@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl...
On the Win 2000 box, you may create a user with same name and password as
on your windows xp home computer, and then add it to the administrator
group on the Win 2000, will this help the problem?

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)
Apr 6 '06 #5
Thank for update. If you have further questions after a test, please feel
free to post here.

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)

Apr 6 '06 #6
Thanks for the reply,
No joy though, this solution didn't work either.
"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" <lu******@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:An**************@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl...
Thank for update. If you have further questions after a test, please feel
free to post here.

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)
Apr 7 '06 #7
Is the Windows XP Home box is the only computer which cannot access the
server? If all clients cannot access the web site, you may check the web
site's server extension to see if the problem is here.

Regards,

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)

Apr 7 '06 #8
Hello,

Yes, the XP Home box is the only one. It can actually access the server, it
can view the pages, and on pages that are using integrated authentication,
it prompts for a password, and accepts the domain user's credentials. It is
only when trying to access via Interdev, and Front Page Extensions that it
has a problem. The server logs show error 401.

Lance

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" <lu******@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o5*************@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl...
Is the Windows XP Home box is the only computer which cannot access the
server? If all clients cannot access the web site, you may check the web
site's server extension to see if the problem is here.

Regards,

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)
Apr 7 '06 #9
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:57:58 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>
Thanks for the reply,
No joy though, this solution didn't work either.


Does the XP Home box have a non blank password associated with the user
name? And you're sure that the server has an account with this same
username/password?

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 7 '06 #10
Yes, this is the case.

I setup the user, and passwords identically on both server, and client box.

Lance

"Stefan Berglund" <so**************@for.me> wrote in message
news:t7********************************@4ax.com...
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:57:58 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <uT**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>
Thanks for the reply,
No joy though, this solution didn't work either.


Does the XP Home box have a non blank password associated with the user
name? And you're sure that the server has an account with this same
username/password?

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no
conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 7 '06 #11
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:15:44 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <OZ**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>
Yes, this is the case.

I setup the user, and passwords identically on both server, and client box.

Lance


You might try sharing some resource on the server and giving the suspect
account full rights. I'd also try a reboot on both boxes after playing
around with privileges and access rights just to make sure that's not a
factor.

Frankly, I can't stay far enough away from XP Home for all of these
reasons and several others. It's been nothing but a support nightmare
in networking situations because microsoft didn't intend for it be
networked or least not without great difficulty.

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 7 '06 #12
Yeah, I'm starting to think that too.

I love how it works with the user logins though where you can have several
people logged in at once, and they can switch around as needed, it's perfect
for my family. I wish there were a way to do this with XP Pro, but I have
not found how. I'll probably just upgrade to XP Pro, I do a good bit of
development on the box, and maybe Home just isn't the right tool for that.

Thanks for info.
Lance

"Stefan Berglund" <so**************@for.me> wrote in message
news:19********************************@4ax.com...
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:15:44 -0600, "Lance Wynn"
<La*******@community.nospam> wrote:
in <OZ**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>
Yes, this is the case.

I setup the user, and passwords identically on both server, and client box.

Lance


You might try sharing some resource on the server and giving the suspect
account full rights. I'd also try a reboot on both boxes after playing
around with privileges and access rights just to make sure that's not a
factor.

Frankly, I can't stay far enough away from XP Home for all of these
reasons and several others. It's been nothing but a support nightmare
in networking situations because microsoft didn't intend for it be
networked or least not without great difficulty.

---
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, no guarantees, and no
conferred rights.

Stefan Berglund
Apr 7 '06 #13
Lance Wynn wrote:
Yeah, I'm starting to think that too.

I love how it works with the user logins though where you can have
several people logged in at once, and they can switch around as
needed, it's perfect for my family. I wish there were a way to do
this with XP Pro, but I have not found how.


Huh? XP Pro does this as well. But we're getting even further off topic.
(there are several newsgroups devoted to Interdev: they have "vi" in their
names)
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
Apr 7 '06 #14
XP Pro allows you to have multiple users running at the same time? Where I
can switch between them? How do you set that up?

Lance
"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:%2*****************@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Lance Wynn wrote:
Yeah, I'm starting to think that too.

I love how it works with the user logins though where you can have
several people logged in at once, and they can switch around as
needed, it's perfect for my family. I wish there were a way to do
this with XP Pro, but I have not found how.


Huh? XP Pro does this as well. But we're getting even further off topic.
(there are several newsgroups devoted to Interdev: they have "vi" in their
names)
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

Apr 7 '06 #15
I upgraded to XP Pro, and the problem has gone away. I didn't put it on the
domain, and it has the separate user accounts like home did, so all is well.

Thanks all.
Lance
"Lance Wynn" <La*******@community.nospam> wrote in message
news:OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hi all,
I got a new computer that is running XP Home, and is to be used for the
family as well as for me to do some work from home. I want to keep XP Home,
but I am having a problem getting Visual Interdev to connect to any
FrontPage Webs. I get an error 401 on the IIS Logs, and in interdev, I just
get the login prompt, until it tells me that I'm not authorized to view the
web.

I've searched the web, and can find no reason why this shouldn't work, is
there some setting I need to set?

Thanks
Lance

Apr 10 '06 #16
For further research on this issue, you may enable the IIS log in IIS
manager and try to connect with WinXP home computer again. We may get more
detail information from the log file.

Luke Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================

(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)

Apr 10 '06 #17

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

21 posts views Thread by Bruce W...1 | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Robert Stearns | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Chris Smith | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Larry Bates | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.