469,280 Members | 1,811 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,280 developers. It's quick & easy.

problem: Stream XLS to user via ASP page

CJM
I have a page which streams an Excel spreadsheet to the user. It has worked
fine for 12mths or more, but recently I found out that it wasn't working. I
suspect the problem lies with IIS, but I'm not sure...

When the user submits a form, the page should stream the file to the user -
the user is presented with a standard Open/Save/Cancel dialog, which the
would ordinarily save to their HDD. I have updoaded the code from the live
server to my development machine (IIS5.1) - and this same code works fine.

However, on the live server (IIS6), the user is presented with the dialog
box, but rather than listing myfile.xls, it lists mypage.asp as the file to
be downloaded.

I think this must be an IIS6 issue but I don't know what. Some time before
the problem was noticed, work had been done on the live server, but AFAIK
nothing was done that was *intended* to affect this application.

Any ideas?

TIA

Chris
--
cj*******@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk
[remove the obvious bits]
Oct 12 '05 #1
2 1444
"CJM" <cj*******@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
I have a page which streams an Excel spreadsheet to the user. It has worked
fine for 12mths or more, but recently I found out that it wasn't working. I
suspect the problem lies with IIS, but I'm not sure...

When the user submits a form, the page should stream the file to the
user - the user is presented with a standard Open/Save/Cancel dialog,
which the would ordinarily save to their HDD. I have updoaded the code
from the live server to my development machine (IIS5.1) - and this same
code works fine.

However, on the live server (IIS6), the user is presented with the dialog
box, but rather than listing myfile.xls, it lists mypage.asp as the file
to be downloaded.

I think this must be an IIS6 issue but I don't know what. Some time before
the problem was noticed, work had been done on the live server, but AFAIK
nothing was done that was *intended* to affect this application.

Any ideas?


Does any of this help?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS
Oct 12 '05 #2
CJM

"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Does any of this help?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161


I'm not sure what the problem was but I solved it by re-doing the page using
my original technique.

However, before I tried that, I tried the approach recommended on ASPFAQ,
which *didnt* work. I had the problem where the XLS was being downloaded,
but with name of my ASP page. This is a recognised problem, but none of the
solutions recommended of that problem in the MS KB articles worked.

Since my page is now working I'm obviously not going to pursue it, but there
was clearly more to that naming problem than the KB article suggested.

Thanks

Chris
Oct 14 '05 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

5 posts views Thread by matt dittman | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Lou | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by Wayne Brantley | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by Nathan Sokalski | last post: by
reply views Thread by Kenny | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by c676228 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by CARIGAR | last post: by
reply views Thread by zhoujie | last post: by
reply views Thread by suresh191 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.