By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
449,347 Members | 1,278 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 449,347 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

examples of "post" and "get" methods of ASP

P: n/a
Hello,
I would like to know about the methods : post and get of ASP.
What is the difference between them.
Need some samples, and explanation, please.

Thanks :)
Jul 22 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
CJM
www.w3schools.com
Jul 22 '05 #2

P: n/a
"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know about the methods : post and get of ASP.
What is the difference between them.
Need some samples, and explanation, please.


This is an HTTP issue, not ASP.

GET is a simple request for a document. All information is sent in the
URL, therefore you can't sent more than - umm - 1000 characters or so
in a GET request.

A POST request sends data in the body of the request, not in the URL.
The amount of data you can send this way is unlimited, you can send
entire files with the proper form syntax.

In ASP, data sent via a GET request is retrieved with the Request
object, data sent via a POST is retrieve with the Form object.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Sl********@bls.gov
Jul 22 '05 #3

P: n/a
Tim Slattery wrote:
"Eitan" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know about the methods : post and get of ASP.
What is the difference between them.
Need some samples, and explanation, please.


This is an HTTP issue, not ASP.

GET is a simple request for a document. All information is sent in the
URL, therefore you can't sent more than - umm - 1000 characters or so
in a GET request.

A POST request sends data in the body of the request, not in the URL.
The amount of data you can send this way is unlimited, you can send
entire files with the proper form syntax.

In ASP, data sent via a GET request is retrieved with the Request
object, data sent via a POST is retrieve with the Form object.


You were right-on, upt to this point.
Data sent by GET is retrieved via the Request object's Querystring
collection.

submittedvalue=Request.Querystring("name_of_form_f ield")

Data sent by POST is retrieved by the Request object's Form collection:

submittedvalue=Request.Form("name_of_form_field")

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
Jul 22 '05 #4

P: n/a
Eitan wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know about the methods : post and get of ASP.
What is the difference between them.
Need some samples, and explanation, please.

Thanks :)


You cn find the ASP documentation here (as well as the rest of the
documentation for most MS development tools):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../ref_vbom_.asp

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"
Jul 22 '05 #5

P: n/a
"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote:

You were right-on, upt to this point.
Data sent by GET is retrieved via the Request object's Querystring
collection. Data sent by POST is retrieved by the Request object's Form collection:


Thanks for the correction. I knew I should have looked that up instead
of doing it from memory!

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)
Sl********@bls.gov
Jul 22 '05 #6

P: n/a
Eitan wrote:
I would like to know about the methods : post and get of ASP.
What is the difference between them.
Need some samples, and explanation, please.


The W3C standard document for HTTP 1.1 is RFC 2616,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1", viewable at
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

See in particular section 9, "Method Definitions",
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/...c9.html#sec9.3
wherein it is noted that GET should be both "safe" and "idempotent".

More explanation of the intricacies of HTTP are available
http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
Jul 22 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.