473,573 Members | 3,135 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Link not shown in "visited" color after clicking

Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by the
user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?

I have a situation where the link was not changing color until I added the
following style:

.vl:visited{col or:#808080;}

And then referenced this style in my Anchor:

<a class="vl"
href="http://useaihp280:8080/espweb/servlet/espweb.servlets .BypassServlet? screen=2&server =ih152.ea.unisy s.com&port=5002 &user=Web3&data group=cain&key1 =156300"
target="_blank" >
<font size="2">001563 00</font></a>

However, if the target attribute is set to "_blank" (to get the results to
open in a new window, the next time the parent web page is refreshed/rebuilt
from the database (such as hitting the refresh button), IE does not
consistantly display visited links in teh visited color!

If I removed the "target=bla nk" attribute to open in the same window, IE
keeps track just fine.

Note that my local settings indicate to retain history for 7 days.

Note that the anchor is constructed using server sided script. what you see
above is the resulting generated html. The only thing that changes on the
hyperlink from row to row (there is one hyperlinkj per row in a table) is
the number added to the and of the query string which matches the link's
text property.

Why would IE keep track of some of these links and not others if they are
all built from the same line of server sided code?

Why is it necessary to use the vl.visited class style at all? In fact, this
overrides my local IE colors! Shouldn't IE keep track of whether I visited a
link without me having to do anything more than create the anchor tag? The
style class that I add should be, i feel, used only if I want to override
the user's IE color selection.

Where I am going wrong?

Many thanks for making it all the way to the end of this post!

Chad
May 18 '06 #1
8 2916

Chad wrote:
Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by the
user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?


This is most definitely NOT a post that has anything to do with ASP
whatsoever.

Try an html, css or browser newsgroup.

--
Mike Brind

May 18 '06 #2
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates the
hyperlink, its just that I have simplified the problem for you by showing
you that the problem exists in the underlying HTML or browser. Since the
"HTML" newsgroiup is all but dead, i figured the ASP people certainly have
to deal with HTML every day to write their apps, and ASP really "includes"
HTML.

I also realize that if I want to add additional info to respond to myself,
but too often when I do that people monitoring the newgroup will disregard
postings that have replies-even if the really if from the original
poster-hence my choice to put a new positing. See-you related the tow. I
knew ya would. I had faith.

If you don't know the answer, that's OK.

My diagnosius is that I.E. sucks for many reasons, this bug included.

Firefox works just fine.

"Mike Brind" <pa*******@hotm ail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** **************@ j73g2000cwa.goo glegroups.com.. .

Chad wrote:
Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by
the
user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?


This is most definitely NOT a post that has anything to do with ASP
whatsoever.

Try an html, css or browser newsgroup.

--
Mike Brind

May 18 '06 #3

Chad wrote:
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates the
hyperlink, its just that I have simplified the problem for you by showing
you that the problem exists in the underlying HTML or browser. Since the
"HTML" newsgroiup is all but dead,
comp.infosystem s.www.authoring.html is hardly "dead".

i figured the ASP people certainly have to deal with HTML every day to write their apps, and ASP really "includes"
HTML.

I also realize that if I want to add additional info to respond to myself,
but too often when I do that people monitoring the newgroup will disregard
postings that have replies-even if the really if from the original
poster-hence my choice to put a new positing. See-you related the tow. I
knew ya would. I had faith.
You are wrong in your assertion that people only ever read un-answered
posts.

If you don't know the answer, that's OK.
Nice attempt to flame.

My diagnosius is that I.E. sucks for many reasons, this bug included.

So you know have an answer to your question then.

"Mike Brind" <pa*******@hotm ail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** **************@ j73g2000cwa.goo glegroups.com.. .

Chad wrote:
Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by
the
user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?


This is most definitely NOT a post that has anything to do with ASP
whatsoever.

Try an html, css or browser newsgroup.

--
Mike Brind


May 18 '06 #4
Chad wrote:
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
the hyperlink,

Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had a
..htm extension.

ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via Response.
What happens at the client is out of scope.

Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups devoted to
this type of question.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
May 18 '06 #5

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyah oo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:u6******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP03.phx.gbl...
Chad wrote:
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
the hyperlink,

Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had a
.htm extension.

ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via
Response.
What happens at the client is out of scope.

Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups devoted
to
this type of question.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

May 19 '06 #6
I assume that you guys get annoyed at posters breaking protocol regardless
of the reason.

I hope the MVPs at the HTML groups that you referred me to won't get worked
up when I post my problem there as you suggested, especially since I
mentioned that it works in Firefox.

Perhaps the MVPs there will say things like "IRRELEVANT ! or ....This has
NOTHING to do with html WHATSOEVER! You should be posting on a Internet
Explorer group!"


"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyah oo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:u6******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP03.phx.gbl...
Chad wrote:
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
the hyperlink,

Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had a
.htm extension.

ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via
Response.
What happens at the client is out of scope.

Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups devoted
to
this type of question.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

May 19 '06 #7
People post in the wrong group normally because they don't know the
right group. It happens often. They usually receive replies pointing
that out and suggesting alternative groups. Bob has already explained
why in a very reasonable manner. You have interpreted the replies you
have received as people "getting worked up". That's your perception.
I would suggest it is incorrect. You have emphasised words below by
using capitals that weren't capitalised in the original replies you
received. That suggests you are the one getting "worked up" here.

Honestly, I don't know why you are persisting with this thread, Chad.
Surely you want to resolve your problem? You seem to have isolated it
to an IE specific problem, so why don't you go with the first
suggestion I made and try a browser group?

Oh, and btw, HMTL is not a proprietry Microsoft technology, so there
are are no html MVPs. There are for IE, and I'm pretty certain they
will be happy to try to answer your question. This is their area of
expertise, after all.

Try this group: microsoft.publi c.windows.inete xplorer.ie6.bro wser

--
Mike Brind

Chad wrote:
I assume that you guys get annoyed at posters breaking protocol regardless
of the reason.

I hope the MVPs at the HTML groups that you referred me to won't get worked
up when I post my problem there as you suggested, especially since I
mentioned that it works in Firefox.

Perhaps the MVPs there will say things like "IRRELEVANT ! or ....This has
NOTHING to do with html WHATSOEVER! You should be posting on a Internet
Explorer group!"


"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyah oo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:u6******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP03.phx.gbl...
Chad wrote:
I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
the hyperlink,

Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had a
.htm extension.

ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via
Response.
What happens at the client is out of scope.

Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups devoted
to
this type of question.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.


May 19 '06 #8
A reasonable reply.

I think I owe you an apology.

"Mike Brind" <pa*******@hotm ail.com> wrote in message
news:11******** **************@ g10g2000cwb.goo glegroups.com.. .
People post in the wrong group normally because they don't know the
right group. It happens often. They usually receive replies pointing
that out and suggesting alternative groups. Bob has already explained
why in a very reasonable manner. You have interpreted the replies you
have received as people "getting worked up". That's your perception.
I would suggest it is incorrect. You have emphasised words below by
using capitals that weren't capitalised in the original replies you
received. That suggests you are the one getting "worked up" here.

Honestly, I don't know why you are persisting with this thread, Chad.
Surely you want to resolve your problem? You seem to have isolated it
to an IE specific problem, so why don't you go with the first
suggestion I made and try a browser group?

Oh, and btw, HMTL is not a proprietry Microsoft technology, so there
are are no html MVPs. There are for IE, and I'm pretty certain they
will be happy to try to answer your question. This is their area of
expertise, after all.

Try this group: microsoft.publi c.windows.inete xplorer.ie6.bro wser

--
Mike Brind

Chad wrote:
I assume that you guys get annoyed at posters breaking protocol
regardless
of the reason.

I hope the MVPs at the HTML groups that you referred me to won't get
worked
up when I post my problem there as you suggested, especially since I
mentioned that it works in Firefox.

Perhaps the MVPs there will say things like "IRRELEVANT ! or ....This has
NOTHING to do with html WHATSOEVER! You should be posting on a Internet
Explorer group!"


"Bob Barrows [MVP]" <re******@NOyah oo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:u6******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP03.phx.gbl...
> Chad wrote:
>> I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
>> the hyperlink,
> Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had
> a
> .htm extension.
>
> ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
> client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via
> Response.
> What happens at the client is out of scope.
>
> Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
> likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups
> devoted
> to
> this type of question.
> http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039
>
>
> Bob Barrows
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
> Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
> header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
> quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
>
>

May 23 '06 #9

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

43
5061
by: steve | last post by:
I am quite frustrated with php’s include, as I have spent a ton of time on it already... anyone can tell me why it was designed like this (or something I don’t get)? The path in include is relative NOT to the immediate script that is including it, but is relative to the top-level calling script. In practice, this means that you have to...
3
17074
by: Matt Adams | last post by:
As well known I could specify the text color in the body tag like: <BODY TEXT=WHITE LINK=WHITE VLINK=RED ALINK=WHITE> What I want to achieve now is that always (!) the text of the last visited link and the text of the link under the cursor are red. All other links should be white. The problem with the construction above is that a visited...
7
3329
by: Will Hartung | last post by:
I have this: <a class="pink_link" href="faq.html#q1">Go to question 1</a> And the CSS is simply: ..pink_link {color: #fa61b7; font-weight: bold;} So, I'm curious why my links are blue and not pink. All of my other "pink_links" are pink, but they don't link to anchors on the same page.
14
3933
by: Don G | last post by:
Within the menu for my site, I have inserted 'class="current"' within the link for the current page. So the link looks somthing link: <li><a href="index.php" class="current">Home</a></li> The css for formatting the menu links is: #menu a:hover { background-color: #E00080; color: white;
11
2681
by: John A Grandy | last post by:
asp.net 1.1 ie 6 how to lock-out the user from clicking the browser "Back" button ?
1
4755
by: DiegoMx | last post by:
I'm having a problem with "a:visited" properties overriding "a:hover" ones - here's the relevant part of my CSS: a.barra { position:absolute; top:30px; font-family:century gothic; padding:10px; font-size:12pt; font-weight:bold; color:#4855A9;
1
3024
by: Paul | last post by:
Below is the html and css. It works in Firefox but not IE. When you click on "Your Links", it should cause a new menu "system" to open up to the right of the "Your Links" with two menu options. What am I missing to make it work in IE? HTML Code: ..... #navigation {
3
4886
by: friday13 | last post by:
Hi, I would like to set the link's "visited" pseudo-class with javascript without clicking on the link. My goal is to update the link's color (previously set in the CSS file) to be "visited" without actually clicking on the link and then clicking "back" in the browser. Does anyone know how? Here are the following things I've already...
4
2693
by: knkk | last post by:
I have style definitions that look like this: .a10b, .a10b a:link, .a10b a:visited, .a10b a:hover { font: 10px Arial; color: #000000;
0
7777
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
0
8016
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
8200
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7773
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
8061
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
5289
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3730
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
1
2197
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
1
1297
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.