By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,456 Members | 1,529 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,456 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Combo box error "Item not in list" but it is.

P: 2
I wrote an Access97 application using VBA for a company many moons ago and they have approximately 20 users. All has been hunky dory for a long time but suddenly they have a combo box error on 3 of the pc's. The identical application works fine on the other 17 pc's.

The O/S is Windows XP Pro service pack 2.

There are several combo boxes on a form which allow the user to find records based on the values selected. When the user types a value into the combo box and hits Enter, it returns the standard error message "the text you entered is not an item in the list". The value IS in the list and if the user scrolls down and selects it, the code works and the record is found. This only happens to numerical combo's and affects every numerical combo throughout the application. The combo's using text are absolutely fine.

Since it doesn't affect all the pc's, I feel this is an environmental issue but I cannot find any updates or security/permission differences between a pc with the error and one that is working. Access97 seems to be set up correctly and I'm completely flummoxed.

I have seen one forum that discusses this issue and it seems the error was around at least as far back as 2003 and is relevant to Access97 and 2000 and maybe other versions too. However, to date no-one seems to have an explanation or a fix.

Anyone......? Please.....?
Oct 22 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


missinglinq
Expert 2.5K+
P: 3,532
What version(s) of Access is the app being run under on the errant machines?

Linq ;0)>
Oct 22 '08 #2

P: 2
What version(s) of Access is the app being run under on the errant machines?

Linq ;0)>
The app is run under Access97 on all machines. At this moment I am only able to remotely access one of the errant pc's which I can see has not had SR-1 or 2 applied. This is a customer database and I have to put in requests for remote access with their IT maintenance company. Tomorrow I should be able to check out several more machines. My apologies, I have only started looking at this problem today and haven't had the facilities to carry out much investigation.

MB
Oct 22 '08 #3

NeoPa
Expert Mod 15k+
P: 31,186
Let me start by saying it's a well posted question :)

That's because I want to go on to say that we don't really have enough info to be very helpful here I'm afraid. I can't imagine that there's any more you can do about that of course.

One thing I would suggest is that you compare the Access (and VBA) options settings to see if you can find any common denominator.

From what you describe I can't see any other pointers :(
Oct 23 '08 #4

NeoPa
Expert Mod 15k+
P: 31,186
You could also compare the results on the various machines of running Help / About. There should be a build number in that. see if there are any different versions found and see if they match your errant machines.

I think this is what Linq was alluding to in his post.
Oct 23 '08 #5

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.