By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,480 Members | 2,953 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,480 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Loss of data in an Access file placed in a network

P: 66
Hello!

This is quite important. We have an Access file shared in a network. Every user has its front-end copy that is linked to a back-end copy.

This database has an autonumber field to count the records. Surprisingly, one day we found out that the autonumber count had elapsed 500 records; that is, the last entered record was assigned number 650 and the new one was assigned number 1100 by the autonumber field. I didn't find any satisfactory explanation for that. Since that, there have been entered 20 -25 records that had been assigned the new numbers (from 1100 to 1125) by the autonumber field.

Today, we have realized that the database in the network has lost the new records (those with the numeration from 1100 on). There are only available the historic ones (up to number 650).

I feel there is a problem with the network, but there is some unease with the Access program since it is suspected that it might have played a role in the new numeration event and, eventually, the loss of data of today. Any wonders on this? Has someone encountered such a problem?

Best regards
Oct 22 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


NeoPa
Expert Mod 15k+
P: 31,186
This is not something I would expect to see in the normal course of events in Access.

I'm afraid my best guess is that something on your network, entirely unrelated to Access, is causing this situation.

This is not going to be easy to resolve on a forum, as you can only post about what you understand and notice. I suspect that whatever happens to cause this is not something you understand or have noticed (If it were, you would have your answer without the need to post).
Oct 22 '08 #2

P: 66
Dear NeoPa:

I'm afraid I have little knowledge on networks or whatsoever. Nevertheless, I agree with you that this problem with the autonumeric field is something like weird and should not be expected. But even more strange to me is the loss of data; I think that this last one may be a network "crash" and wrong recover of information (recovering a past copy of the access file and not the previously current one). In fact, informatic technicians have recovered previous copies of the Access file (one for each working day of the last week). Unfortunately, they do not take user's questions about Access or any other kind of user ' programmes (like Excel, SPSS or whatsoever).

I'm afraid my best approach would be to make safety copies /backups of the file more often and to keep a close monitor over it (daily).

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards.
Oct 22 '08 #3

NeoPa
Expert Mod 15k+
P: 31,186
I'm afraid my best approach would be to make safety copies /backups of the file more often and to keep a close monitor over it (daily).
Particularly monitor the state of the database closely. It may give you more clues as to what might be going on.
Oct 22 '08 #4

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.