By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,984 Members | 1,461 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,984 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

2007 won't open older format database

P: n/a
Hi,
Last week one client had errors caused by another program which led
the IT guys to wipe out and rebuild the hard drive on one particular
computer. Prior to this happening, the people in this department were
using a 2000 format database through Access 2007 without any issues.
Since IT rebuilt said hard drive, one user now gets a message when
attempting to open the same database that 2007 cannot open older
format databases. The database is secured. Other people in the group
are still logging into the database using 2007 without any issues. I
did see that she got instructions on setting up a trusted location and
she has done so. I am just not sure what could possibly be causing
this. I did do a compact and repair on the database using someone
else's computer while I was in their area, but it didn't change any
thing.
Any ideas as to what I should start looking for?
Thanks,
MM
Sep 22 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
That's not the actual error message. Access 2007 can't open Access 95 and 97
mdes but it can open all other earlier format dbs. Tell her when opening
secure dbs to use a shortcut with a target using this format (all one line):

"path to msaccess.exe" "path to db.mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure.mdw"

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>one user now gets a message when
attempting to open the same database that 2007 cannot open older
format databases. The database is secured.
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 22 '08 #2

P: n/a
She is using a properly coded short cut. That was the first thing I
checked. Someone on another computer uses the same short cut and gets
in without a hitch. Is there something in options that I should look
into in Access 2007? Even if I connect to their server and use the
same short cut, I get in using Access 2007. I am concerned that
something was screwed up when they re-installed Access 2007 on her
box.

Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com wrote:
That's not the actual error message. Access 2007 can't open Access 95 and 97
mdes but it can open all other earlier format dbs. Tell her when opening
secure dbs to use a shortcut with a target using this format (all one line):

"path to msaccess.exe" "path to db.mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure.mdw"

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
one user now gets a message when
attempting to open the same database that 2007 cannot open older
format databases. The database is secured.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1
Sep 22 '08 #3

P: n/a
Unless she's the owner of the db, or a member of the Admins group, or a
member of another custom group with Administrator permissions, she's pretty
limited to what she can do in Access 2007 regarding settings and options.
The only things a normal user can do within Access 2007 with a secure db is
check which workgroup she's permanently joined to, or change workgroups
(which is overridden by using that shortcut with the secure workgroup command
line switch), or check which workgroup she's joined to for the current
session, or change permissions/names/designs on any objects she owns in the
db. She can't give herself permission to open/run the db or remove that
permission if the db is secure.

Find out what the actual error message is when she tries to open the db. It
*can't* be the error message she gave you unless you've made a mistake and
it's really an Access 95 or 97 mde. I don't think that's the case. Access
2007 can open *every* Access db format except those 2, unless it's secured,
and you say she's joined to the correct workgroup with that shortcut, so that
avoids the "You don't have permission to open the dbname.mdb database.
Please see your administrator..." error message.

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>Is there something in options that I should look
into in Access 2007? Even if I connect to their server and use the
same short cut, I get in using Access 2007. I am concerned that
something was screwed up when they re-installed Access 2007 on her
box.
--
Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com

Sep 22 '08 #4

P: n/a
On Sep 22, 2:21*pm, "Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com" <u29189@uwe>
wrote:
Unless she's the owner of the db, or a member of the Admins group, or a
member of another custom group with Administrator permissions, she's pretty
limited to what she can do in Access 2007 regarding settings and options.
The only things a normal user can do within Access 2007 with a secure db is
check which workgroup she's permanently joined to, or change workgroups
(which is overridden by using that shortcut with the secure workgroup command
line switch), or check which workgroup she's joined to for the current
session, or change permissions/names/designs on any objects she owns in the
db. *She can't give herself permission to open/run the db or remove that
permission if the db is secure.

Find out what the actual error message is when she tries to open the db. *It
*can't* be the error message she gave you unless you've made a mistake and
it's really an Access 95 or 97 mde. *I don't think that's the case. *Access
2007 can open *every* Access db format except those 2, unless it's secured,
and you say she's joined to the correct workgroup with that shortcut, so that
avoids the "You don't have permission to open the dbname.mdb database.
Please see your administrator..." error message.

Chris
Microsoft MVP

godiva wrote:
Is there something in options that I should look
into in Access 2007? *Even if I connect to their server and use the
same short cut, I get in using Access 2007. I am concerned that
something was screwed up when they re-installed Access 2007 on her
box.

--
Message posted viahttp://www.accessmonster.com
Is the workgroup file a central file on a server somewhere or does
each computer get its own copy? If it's on the user's computer, copy
the workgroup file from a computer where the application is working
correctly and try again.

Bruce
Sep 22 '08 #5

P: n/a
The mdw is on the network drive. The database is a 2000 format
database. She does not even get to the login prompt before Access 2007
tells her it can't open the database. yet, I go to another person's
computer with Access 2007 using the same short cut and there are no
issues getting in at all.

Bruce wrote:
On Sep 22, 2:21�pm, "Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com" <u29189@uwe>
wrote:
Unless she's the owner of the db, or a member of the Admins group, or a
member of another custom group with Administrator permissions, she's pretty
limited to what she can do in Access 2007 regarding settings and options.
The only things a normal user can do within Access 2007 with a secure db is
check which workgroup she's permanently joined to, or change workgroups
(which is overridden by using that shortcut with the secure workgroup command
line switch), or check which workgroup she's joined to for the current
session, or change permissions/names/designs on any objects she owns inthe
db. �She can't give herself permission to open/run the db or remove that
permission if the db is secure.

Find out what the actual error message is when she tries to open the db.. �It
*can't* be the error message she gave you unless you've made a mistake and
it's really an Access 95 or 97 mde. �I don't think that's the case. �Access
2007 can open *every* Access db format except those 2, unless it's secured,
and you say she's joined to the correct workgroup with that shortcut, so that
avoids the "You don't have permission to open the dbname.mdb database.
Please see your administrator..." error message.

Chris
Microsoft MVP

godiva wrote:
>Is there something in options that I should look
>into in Access 2007? �Even if I connect to their server and use the
>same short cut, I get in using Access 2007. I am concerned that
>something was screwed up when they re-installed Access 2007 on her
>box.
--
Message posted viahttp://www.accessmonster.com

Is the workgroup file a central file on a server somewhere or does
each computer get its own copy? If it's on the user's computer, copy
the workgroup file from a computer where the application is working
correctly and try again.

Bruce
Sep 23 '08 #6

P: n/a
It's hard to troubleshoot the problem when she won't tell you the exact error
message. Is she getting this error message when she tries to open the db
file in Access 2007?

"This database is in an unrecognized format. The database may have been
created with a later version of Microsoft Office Access than the one you are
using. Upgrade your version of Microsoft Office Access to the current one,
then open this database."

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>The mdw is on the network drive. The database is a 2000 format
database. She does not even get to the login prompt before Access 2007
tells her it can't open the database. yet, I go to another person's
computer with Access 2007 using the same short cut and there are no
issues getting in at all.
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 23 '08 #7

P: n/a
Don't assume that she isn't telling me about the error message. I
have been to her desk and got the error myself that mentioned that it
can't open that format and suggested doing a compact/repair. I'm
planning on going to her desk to reinstall Office 2007 to see if that
might get it over it's issues especially since she was opening the
database with 2007 prior to them wiping her hard drive and
reinstalling software.

Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com wrote:
It's hard to troubleshoot the problem when she won't tell you the exact error
message. Is she getting this error message when she tries to open the db
file in Access 2007?

"This database is in an unrecognized format. The database may have been
created with a later version of Microsoft Office Access than the one you are
using. Upgrade your version of Microsoft Office Access to the current one,
then open this database."

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
The mdw is on the network drive. The database is a 2000 format
database. She does not even get to the login prompt before Access 2007
tells her it can't open the database. yet, I go to another person's
computer with Access 2007 using the same short cut and there are no
issues getting in at all.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1
Sep 23 '08 #8

P: n/a
godiva wrote:
Don't assume that she isn't telling me about the error message. I
have been to her desk and got the error myself that mentioned that it
can't open that format and suggested doing a compact/repair. I'm
planning on going to her desk to reinstall Office 2007 to see if that
might get it over it's issues especially since she was opening the
database with 2007 prior to them wiping her hard drive and
reinstalling software.
Does the user have a full version of Access or runtime? If full, can
you create a new (temp) database and link to the tables from her
machine? Can you create a dummy back end and attempt to link to the
dummy from the temp?

>
Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com wrote:
>>It's hard to troubleshoot the problem when she won't tell you the exact error
message. Is she getting this error message when she tries to open the db
file in Access 2007?

"This database is in an unrecognized format. The database may have been
created with a later version of Microsoft Office Access than the one you are
using. Upgrade your version of Microsoft Office Access to the current one,
then open this database."

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>>>The mdw is on the network drive. The database is a 2000 format
database. She does not even get to the login prompt before Access 2007
tells her it can't open the database. yet, I go to another person's
computer with Access 2007 using the same short cut and there are no
issues getting in at all.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1
Sep 23 '08 #9

P: n/a
When you do, please write down the exact error message - verbatim - and post
it here. It's not likely that reinstalling Office 2007 is going to resolve
the issue unless you take the correct additional steps - which you may be
able to do right now without reinstalling Office 2007.

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>Don't assume that she isn't telling me about the error message. I
have been to her desk and got the error myself that mentioned that it
can't open that format and suggested doing a compact/repair. I'm
planning on going to her desk to reinstall Office 2007 to see if that
might get it over it's issues especially since she was opening the
database with 2007 prior to them wiping her hard drive and
reinstalling software.
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 23 '08 #10

P: n/a
Error 3041 cannot open database created with a previous version of
your application.
This error also occurs when trying to create a new database in Access
2007 but in 2000 format. I still say it's the software.

Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com wrote:
When you do, please write down the exact error message - verbatim - and post
it here. It's not likely that reinstalling Office 2007 is going to resolve
the issue unless you take the correct additional steps - which you may be
able to do right now without reinstalling Office 2007.

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
Don't assume that she isn't telling me about the error message. I
have been to her desk and got the error myself that mentioned that it
can't open that format and suggested doing a compact/repair. I'm
planning on going to her desk to reinstall Office 2007 to see if that
might get it over it's issues especially since she was opening the
database with 2007 prior to them wiping her hard drive and
reinstalling software.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1
Sep 24 '08 #11

P: n/a
It was the software. The yahoo from IT didn't install any service
packs. I downloaded and installed SP1 for Access 2007 then she had no
problems.

Chris O'C via AccessMonster.com wrote:
When you do, please write down the exact error message - verbatim - and post
it here. It's not likely that reinstalling Office 2007 is going to resolve
the issue unless you take the correct additional steps - which you may be
able to do right now without reinstalling Office 2007.

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
Don't assume that she isn't telling me about the error message. I
have been to her desk and got the error myself that mentioned that it
can't open that format and suggested doing a compact/repair. I'm
planning on going to her desk to reinstall Office 2007 to see if that
might get it over it's issues especially since she was opening the
database with 2007 prior to them wiping her hard drive and
reinstalling software.

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1
Sep 24 '08 #12

P: n/a
Good job! Access 2007 *requires* Office 2007 sp1 to fix several problems.
It may have also fixed your user's problem by reregistering the dao360.dll
and msrd3x40.dll files which, if they aren't registered properly, will cause
the error message your user was receiving.

Chris
Microsoft MVP
godiva wrote:
>It was the software. The yahoo from IT didn't install any service
packs. I downloaded and installed SP1 for Access 2007 then she had no
problems.
>When you do, please write down the exact error message - verbatim - and post
it here. It's not likely that reinstalling Office 2007 is going to resolve
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 24 '08 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.