By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,963 Members | 2,122 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,963 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Scroll through combo without opening the list

P: n/a
In my combo's list I have for instance these values:
AbcdX
AbcdY
When I press A in the combo, AbcdX gets selected though I need AbcdY to be
selected. With Alt-ArrowDown I can dropdown the list, and hit arrowdown
again and enter to select the right value. But I was wondering if somehow I
can skip the Alt-ArrowDown-and-enter and just scroll through the list with
some keycombination and without the actual dropdown list being visible.

Thank you.
John
Sep 7 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
You can continue to type until you hit the correct selection (in this case
type the entire thing) or you can have the combobox drop down to show all
options when it gets focus. In the ONGOTFOCUS event of the combobox field
put:

me.combboxboxname.dropdown

Bonnie
http://www.dataplus-svc.com

John J. wrote:
>In my combo's list I have for instance these values:
AbcdX
AbcdY
When I press A in the combo, AbcdX gets selected though I need AbcdY to be
selected. With Alt-ArrowDown I can dropdown the list, and hit arrowdown
again and enter to select the right value. But I was wondering if somehow I
can skip the Alt-ArrowDown-and-enter and just scroll through the list with
some keycombination and without the actual dropdown list being visible.

Thank you.
John
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #2

P: n/a
Thanks for the reaction, however:
- having to continue typing is just what I want to prevent.
- i don't want to the combo to drop down by default.

John

"bhicks11 via AccessMonster.com" <u44327@uweschreef in bericht
news:89d6024ee3708@uwe...
You can continue to type until you hit the correct selection (in this case
type the entire thing) or you can have the combobox drop down to show all
options when it gets focus. In the ONGOTFOCUS event of the combobox field
put:

me.combboxboxname.dropdown

Bonnie
http://www.dataplus-svc.com

John J. wrote:
>>In my combo's list I have for instance these values:
AbcdX
AbcdY
When I press A in the combo, AbcdX gets selected though I need AbcdY to be
selected. With Alt-ArrowDown I can dropdown the list, and hit arrowdown
again and enter to select the right value. But I was wondering if somehow
I
can skip the Alt-ArrowDown-and-enter and just scroll through the list with
some keycombination and without the actual dropdown list being visible.

Thank you.
John

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #3

P: n/a
How about drop down after a letter has been keyed? You can add the dropdown
to the change event instead.

Bonnie
http://www.dataplus-svc.com

John J. wrote:
>Thanks for the reaction, however:
- having to continue typing is just what I want to prevent.
- i don't want to the combo to drop down by default.

John
>You can continue to type until you hit the correct selection (in this case
type the entire thing) or you can have the combobox drop down to show all
[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
>>>Thank you.
John
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #4

P: n/a
Often, typing one letter will find the right value and then there's no need
to drop down the list. In cases when the first hit is not the right value
the user needs to be able scroll through the values without the drop down
list being opened. I was thinking about Shift+ArrowDown and Shift+ArrowUp
but I wouldn't know where to begin to make this in VBA.
John

"bhicks11 via AccessMonster.com" <u44327@uweschreef in bericht
news:89d922919b511@uwe...
How about drop down after a letter has been keyed? You can add the
dropdown
to the change event instead.

Bonnie
http://www.dataplus-svc.com

John J. wrote:
>>Thanks for the reaction, however:
- having to continue typing is just what I want to prevent.
- i don't want to the combo to drop down by default.

John
>>You can continue to type until you hit the correct selection (in this
case
type the entire thing) or you can have the combobox drop down to show
all
[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
>>>>Thank you.
John

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #5

P: n/a
If the first selection is correct you have the option of hitting tab and
accepting it even if it is dropped down.

B

John J. wrote:
>Often, typing one letter will find the right value and then there's no need
to drop down the list. In cases when the first hit is not the right value
the user needs to be able scroll through the values without the drop down
list being opened. I was thinking about Shift+ArrowDown and Shift+ArrowUp
but I wouldn't know where to begin to make this in VBA.
John
>How about drop down after a letter has been keyed? You can add the
dropdown
[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>>>>>Thank you.
>John
--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #6

P: n/a
Excellent. I totally missed that.
Thanks, John

"bhicks11 via AccessMonster.com" <u44327@uweschreef in bericht
news:89d9d1ef5e0ea@uwe...
If the first selection is correct you have the option of hitting tab and
accepting it even if it is dropped down.

B

John J. wrote:
>>Often, typing one letter will find the right value and then there's no
need
to drop down the list. In cases when the first hit is not the right value
the user needs to be able scroll through the values without the drop down
list being opened. I was thinking about Shift+ArrowDown and Shift+ArrowUp
but I wouldn't know where to begin to make this in VBA.
John
>>How about drop down after a letter has been keyed? You can add the
dropdown
[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>>>>>>Thank you.
>>John

--
Message posted via AccessMonster.com
http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/For...ccess/200809/1

Sep 7 '08 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.